FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Mental Game - Relaxed Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

That type of mental state is what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi refers to as the flow state.

I am pretty sure that if I could even pronounce "Mihaly Csikszentimihalyi" I would instantly enter some sort of flow state.
Sponsored Links

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Usually, it's easier to enter the zone when you aren't being frustrated by your opponent - the level of challenge usually matches the focus you bring.  Most players get frustrated in TT when they are missing the ball.  The question is whether you can be in the zone and not playing that well.

Half the point of sports psychology is so that things in a match do not frustrate you. If the opponent is frustrating you, then you need to apply the sports psychology techniques used by top players to overcome this. Once in the zone, you will play well, relative to how you would play if not in it. If the opponent does something that really messes you up, it'll mess you up less if you are in the zone.

I'm often in demand as a coach in tournaments. Those who believe coaching at tournaments is all about tactics are only doing half their job. At least half of it is psychological as you use various techniques to get your player into the zone. You can't always do this - a frustrated kid can be hard to get into the zone - but I've been doing this for many years, along with the tactical aspect. The two go together - once someone is thinking about the tactical aspects (which means 2-3 tactics out of zillions of possibilities), then they aren't thinking about losing or other distracting thoughts, and is a quick way to get into the zone.

-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 12/09/2013 at 10:36am
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I read Larry Hodges blog tip for Thanksgiving on relaxed play ("Mentality in Match and Practice").  I found it interesting, but thought that the zone was still something people enter on occasion and that Larry was wrong when he said one could practice entering it.
Why do you think you can't practice entering it? Of course you can; you use the same mental techniques in practice that allow you to get into the zone as you would in a tournament. The more you practice doing it, the easier it is to do so in tournaments. 

Absolutely, To further that, I give my experience.
 It took until I was 33yrs old ( started playing at 13) before I learned this, and when I did, I had an unusually late in life run up the ratings to UK prem standard, after being a local league player for 20 years. You don't get 'the zone' in the classical sense, that happens when it happens, but an overall higher level of concentration. I ALWAYS approach matchplay practice in the same way I do in competition, If I am practising Matchplay, I class 'matchplay' as a drill, so no gambling/trying things out, just practice what I would do in a match mentally.  Play games for fun, however its easy to be self absorbed and just practice your power strokes because there is no pressure, If you do that, you are most definitely not practising your matchplay.
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Why do you think you can't practice entering it? Of course you can; you use the same mental techniques in practice that allow you to get into the zone as you would in a tournament. The more you practice doing it, the easier it is to do so in tournaments. Or do you think it's a completely random thing that just sort of happens? That may be true of those who don't understand sports psychology, but the whole point of sports psychology is to allow one to get into the zone on a consistent basis. And you learn to do this with practice; there's no other way. That's why top players meet with sports psychologists so they can learn these mental techniques, and then they practice these techniques in practice sessions (including practice matches) - and then they can do it in serious competition. The idea that it just sort of happens is not how top players do it, which is why the top players can get into the zone and play their best nearly every major tournament. It comes from practice. I know I can get into the zone pretty much at will within a game of any match because I've practiced it for many years and know what mental rituals to go through to attain it. Read "The Inner Game of Tennis," or "Get Your Game Face On!"
-Larry Hodges

Usually, it's easier to enter the zone when you aren't being frustrated by your opponent - the level of challenge usually matches the focus you bring.  Most players get frustrated in TT when they are missing the ball.  The question is whether you can be in the zone and not playing that well.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 2:26pm
Over the years I've learned to play relaxed, but where I struggle is when I'm playing injured, because then I make mistakes that I wouldn't ordinarily make, and that makes me more tense. I'm not sure how to stay relaxed through trauma.

Current example: a few months ago I had bleeding in my right eye, which has led to impairment in that eye (it's like looking through the smoke from a large campfire).  This makes it hard for me to track balls on my right side and also for me to judge the distance to balls (because the right eye can't help much with depth perception).  One typical example is that I sometimes now completely miss on "normal" balls (top spin, no funny spins, not fast or tricky), especially on balls a few feet above the table.  This gives me the same feeling as if I suddenly couldn't remember how to write my own name or add numbers together -- very frustrated.

At my home club, it's not too bad because we have great lighting and I know the other players (so I can find ways to compensate).  However, at the Teams I really struggled to see the ball (just for reference, I much preferred the 2012 lighting at Baltimore to the 2013 lighting in DC, but, to be fair, I did mostly play next to columns, where the lighting was worst).  I even cut the center of my rubber on a table (misjudging both the ball and the table), which I haven't done in many years.  All that struggle to see made me very tense, which only made my strokes worse. 

Being tense not only messed up my strokes, but it interferes with strategic thinking.  Afterwards, I realized how much I limited my own play (only certain shots, only using a few of my serves, etc.) because I was so focused on what I couldn't do.

It's very hard to accept that I really am less of a player today than I was a year ago, and to stay relaxed about it.  I'm not sure how to maintain the right mental frame under those circumstances. Any suggestions?
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 1:57pm

I read Larry Hodges blog tip for Thanksgiving on relaxed play ("Mentality in Match and Practice").  I found it interesting, but thought that the zone was still something people enter on occasion and that Larry was wrong when he said one could practice entering it.
Why do you think you can't practice entering it? Of course you can; you use the same mental techniques in practice that allow you to get into the zone as you would in a tournament. The more you practice doing it, the easier it is to do so in tournaments. Or do you think it's a completely random thing that just sort of happens? That may be true of those who don't understand sports psychology, but the whole point of sports psychology is to allow one to get into the zone on a consistent basis. And you learn to do this with practice; there's no other way. That's why top players meet with sports psychologists so they can learn these mental techniques, and then they practice these techniques in practice sessions (including practice matches) - and then they can do it in serious competition. The idea that it just sort of happens is not how top players do it, which is why the top players can get into the zone and play their best nearly every major tournament. It comes from practice. I know I can get into the zone pretty much at will within a game of any match because I've practiced it for many years and know what mental rituals to go through to attain it. Read "The Inner Game of Tennis," or "Get Your Game Face On!" or "Finding Your Zone."
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 12/09/2013 at 10:33am
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2013 at 2:23am
That type of mental state is what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi refers to as the flow state. This is what I actually try to attain when I play while others are playing to win. To consistently and purposefully enter a flow state when I play matches is the primary goal for me, because that's the best chance I am going to have of winning

Reference-

DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 8:53am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

One thing I learned a long time ago, and I always pass on, is to accept that your opponent is going to hit balls past you if that is what he is trying to do, worrying about it makes a player tense, accepting that its part of the game helps to relax. You might have your tactics right, they can never be 100%, but how well you execute them is key, and being relaxed and calm helps enormously.  
Also it is often beneficial at lower end TT to play 'loose' and relaxed because opponents often have bad technique and playing tight actually suits them, knock the ball around in a relaxed manner and they have nowhere to hide.

+1.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 4:24am
One thing I learned a long time ago, and I always pass on, is to accept that your opponent is going to hit balls past you if that is what he is trying to do, worrying about it makes a player tense, accepting that its part of the game helps to relax. You might have your tactics right, they can never be 100%, but how well you execute them is key, and being relaxed and calm helps enormously.  
Also it is often beneficial at lower end TT to play 'loose' and relaxed because opponents often have bad technique and playing tight actually suits them, knock the ball around in a relaxed manner and they have nowhere to hide.
The Older I get, The better I was.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 1:50am
Mental 80% skill 20% in a match. A few days ago,for some reason I was so tensed up that I let a 1400 to take a set from me. I was lucky on the last set because he was missing so much, but my mental affect me so much that I hardly attack and when I attack I miss. Being tense up also affect my reaction; shots that normally could be blocked seems unblockable. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 12/06/2013 at 1:52am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2013 at 1:08am
My coach always tells me to relax.  I never really understood what he meant - I felt I was trying my best during practice and playing at tournaments the same way that I practiced, only that the focus on winning made me slightly more prone to mistakes.

At the NA Teams, I lost 5 matches, one most memorably to a player in his 70s who I now suspect was using dead rubbers.  However, something happened after losing that match - I felt stressed by the fact I was losing so easily, but I never called a time out or tried to fix the situation.  It was almost as if losing didn't bother me as much as it should have.

After I got back from the Teams tournament, I went to my club and played a few matches. It's as if something has overtaken me.  When I miss the ball, I just go to the ball, pick it up and start the next point.  I rarely berate myself anymore.  I've come to accept missing as a mistake that means I should have adjusted in some manner to the last point, and then come back to the game refreshed.  It has made my shots far more patient and controlled.  Even though an old-timer and large looper beat me 3-1 twice, I never felt that I was playing badly.

The most positive surprise is that my shots are far more consistent.  I played my best forehand match ever against an inverted chopper, beating him in 5 straight games.  This is someone who as recently as a month ago likely beat me in 5 straight games.  This reminded me of how well I played when I beat the best regular player at my club 3-0 - it was my one and only time ever beating him and it was such a fluke I never really understood how I did it (the next day, I lost three straight to the same player).  This match with the inverted chopper was different in the sense that I was hardly missing my loops.  And when I missed them, I just picked up the ball and started the point again - there was little mention of injury and frustration.   I also stopped trying to smash the ball and simply spun it as best as I can, with drives only occuring if the ball was high, but never smashes - just topspin drives.

To cut a long story short, I think I now get what my coach meant.  He wanted me to 

1) accept missing /losing points as part of the game
2) be coldly rational about misses/lost points 
3) make adjustments and calmly execute and
4) consistently hit the ball in relaxed manner and in a way that takes advantage of the time I have to play the stroke.

I am not sure how long this zone will last and I am not sure that there aren't people who play better with stress (though this is a good time to play relaxed for me in general).  But I could see one of my club mates and I for the first time fully grasped why my coach complained about his approach to the game, despite his immense talent. Maybe it took me being consistent enough not to miss a lot to get to this point, but I can see that playing relaxed with a good attitude can be really helpful - I think it is going to take my game to the Next Level when combined with the work I put in.  However, even if it doesn't make me a better player, it will make this player (me) feel better - that in many ways, is just as important.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/06/2013 at 1:09am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic