Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber Durability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber Durability
    Posted: 06/11/2019 at 10:38am
I had to throw away a sheet of Donic Baracuda yesterday after it began developing a dead spot a few days ago. I only played it for about 6 weeks. I tried boosting it before throwing it away, but boosting only made the problem worse. My guess is that a pimple or multiple pimples broke beneath the topsheet. Up until about 4 weeks ago, I was playing Baracuda on the backhand side. I hope this was just a fluke and it doesn't become a problem since I switched it over to the forehand. 

When my skill level was lower, in seemed that I could often get 3 to 6 months out of rubbers. 6 weeks seems pretty short, especially since I was sick for about 10 of the days on those 6 weeks. It seems the better I get, the less time I get out of the rubbers, especially on the forehand wing. My forehand has recently been getting a lot stronger. I guess its getting fairly powerful and I stretch the topsheet quite a bit when looping. I guess I'm also getting more accurate as well and I'm hitting the ball nearly in the same spot on the rubber every time. Anyhow, its the first time I've had a dead spot like that develop on a rubber like that. Hopefully, it was just a one-off occurrence. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2019 at 11:55pm
Sadly it wasn't about your skill or level...
it is the rubber itself. You bought rubber from VN market, you have to accept the quality along with cheap price.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 12:57am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Sadly it wasn't about your skill or level...
it is the rubber itself. You bought rubber from VN market, you have to accept the quality along with cheap price.

I wonder if that's it though. I've been playing Baracuda on at least one side for over a year. I've bought all the sheets from the same shop in Vietnam. Previously I only played Baracuda on the backhand and I never had that problem before. I'm just wondering if maybe Baracuda in general isn't going to be durable on the forehand side. Do you you really think that a rubber like Baracuda has that much variation in quality from market to market? I honestly doubt that it does. 

Edited by ericd937 - 06/12/2019 at 12:57am
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 1:12am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

I wonder if that's it though. I've been playing Baracuda on at least one side for over a year. I've bought all the sheets from the same shop in Vietnam. Previously I only played Baracuda on the backhand and I never had that problem before. I'm just wondering if maybe Baracuda in general isn't going to be durable on the forehand side. Do you you really think that a rubber like Baracuda has that much variation in quality from market to market? I honestly doubt that it does. 

If you need to make sure, then buy another one. Look at its sponge structure, check the hardness,..
You will see the variation between sheets are so big.
inconsistent QC
Falco is not a booster
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 1:25am
It could also have something to do with the fact that the last sheet I bought was a red one. I usually always use black on that rubber. I bought a new black one again yesterday which seems to be a bit better than the last red one was even when it was new. Maybe there is some quality variance between the black sheets and the red sheets. 
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 10:28am
   CRAP OF SYNTHETIC.

Rubber chemical composition is the key.    Pure natural rubber material will keep its original characters for many long months. Synthetic material will come down in a month.
-----------
the newer rubber products by 729 Factory is known to be made of pure rubber material, both sponge and topsheet.

Be happy.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2019 at 11:03pm
Donic has the worst rubber durability of any European or Japanese company. It's as simple as that.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 1:32pm
Not on sale as yet ..
Environment friendly rubber material. No synthetics employed.

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Donic has the worst rubber durability of any European or Japanese company. It's as simple as that.

Actually, the least durable rubber I ever tried was Donic Traction Soft. It was insanely spinny for like 2 weeks and then the sponge just totally died. I've never had a rubber die that fast. 

Edited by ericd937 - 06/13/2019 at 7:21pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I agree. I have tested many rubbers from Andro, Xiom, Yasaka and Donic.
And Donic ones became useless much before the others.
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 12:44am
I have a contrast experience. Donic brand is in standard consistency and durability for me. However they are from Australia.
The Donic I used to play in VN is the F1. It lasted 1 session then damaged right at the centre.
The H3 in VN also will be broken off after some hits.
There are some hidden factors behind but...

Edited by chop4ever - 06/14/2019 at 12:57am
Falco is not a booster
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 12:54am
For me Donic has the same durability as any other ESN brands: neither better nor worse. If you're around 2000 and train 2 days a week plus match league on weekends you will need a couple of sheets every season on each bat face.

BTW, Donic traction II  was made in China, I had that rubber which is the same as DHS  Tin arc 5.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

CRAP OF SYNTHETIC.

Rubber chemical composition is the key.    Pure natural rubber material will keep its original characters for many long months. Synthetic material will come down in a month.
-----------
the newer rubber products by 729 Factory is known to be made of pure rubber material, both sponge and topsheet.

Be happy.

You should study chemistry 101.your coment is so wrong
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2019 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

For me Donic has the same durability as any other ESN brands: neither better nor worse. If you're around 2000 and train 2 days a week plus match league on weekends you will need a couple of sheets every season on each bat face.

BTW, Donic traction II  was made in China, I had that rubber which is the same as DHS  Tin arc 5.

The one I used was Donic Traction MS Soft. Regarding Baracuda, I've had pretty good luck with the durability of the black sheets I've purchased in Vietnam. That red one was the outlier which was not durable. I have also purchased quite a few sheets of Tenergy 80 here in Vietnam, some of which have strangely been more durable than others. I had one sheet of T80 that lasted like 9 months, but the next one was dead after 3 months and boosting couldn't even revive it. Both of those sheets got retired when the sponge stopped performing. Another sheet of T80 got a hole directly in the hitting area of the topsheet after just a few months. 

Edited by ericd937 - 06/14/2019 at 7:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic