Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

process to develop a good FH flick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2020 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Actually NL's video is really interesting about not using much wrist at all. In fact I have the same feeling for the loop too. I no longer believe in using the wrist actively -> the spin really comes from the pronation/supination + the forearm snap anyway on both BH and FH. The wrist just needs to be in a comfortable neutral position to provide stability for the stroke. I find stuff like excessive dropping of the wrist unnatural and uncomfortable, and doesn't provide all that much benefits anyway.  

I am not sure what most people call "using the wrist" is really using the *wrist* in any real sense of the word and as I got more advanced, I concluded that people were looking at the wrist and usually meant something else (more fingers, more pronation, more supination, more whip, more relaxation of the elbow to let the hand/fingers move in a plane different from the lower arm etc.).   It is mostly a slight increase of the speed in swing plane.

In this case of the flick, when they say use the wrist, I think what they really mean for the flick is to reduce the usage of the upper arm and the elbow in the swing and to pronate /supinate the arm back and forth slightly.  I think the plastic ball is one of the reasons why this flick is less prominent - pure spin doesn't get you the same mileage and is easier to counter.  So speed is the focus of the flick - better to push short and get an attacking chance than to spin flick and get the ball countered past you.  This requires more elbow and possibly more upper arm, hence the broad swing focus.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 12:17am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Had to put this here:

I enjoy so much his "international" teaching method that kills all language barriers Smile. He was very creative coming up with this idea. In addition his body language inspires trust, we can tell he really thought his stuff out, practiced and practiced again and now presents, shares the results. A fine man!

Edited by stiltt - 02/15/2020 at 8:09pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Had to put this here:

I enjoy so much his "international" teaching method that kills all language barriers Smile. He was very creative coming up with this idea. In addition his body language inspires trust, we can tell he really thought his stuff out, practiced and practiced again and now presents, shares the results. A fine man!

What do you think his rating is, he seems like a really good player....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Had to put this here:

What do you think his rating is, he seems like a really good player....
past a certain level, they all look the same to me, especially when the video is staged for teaching purposes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic