Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racket left in freezing temperatures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racket left in freezing temperatures
    Posted: 02/12/2020 at 9:54am
last night one of the players at the club showed me his racket and said the rubber didn’t grip three ball very well anymore. I opened his case and noticed how cold it was. He said he usually leaves it in the car, and the temperate lately has been near freezing at night. 
The rubber was only a couple months old and looked fine but felt very slick as I rubbed my finger across it. I told him years so I had 2 new sheets of rubber I had just put on my racket, but after leaving it out in my car overnight in near freezing temperatures it never played very well again. He thought he only had to worry about the heat in the summer, but I told him near freezing temperatures seem to be bad as well. Has anyone here had similar problems, and can someone give a more technical explanation?
Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2020 at 10:28am
On cold temperatures the rubber becomes hard and probably brittle.
During a tourney I left the paddle on the floor, it was very cold in the room, and after that it didn't grip the ball. Don't remember if it was any good afterwards.
Careful with the water base glue, it freezes, some shops don't even ship it when temperatures goes below 0 Celsius.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:05pm
thanks for reply. Anyone else have problems when they left their racket in the cold?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
vik2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vik2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 7:12pm
I have not left the whole racquet in the cold temperature but I have left a rubber in the cold temperature for 3-4 consecutive days in the past. When I was boosting H3, I would leave the rubber in my garage between every layer of boost to dry. The reason was the rubber has pretty nasty smell and I did not want it circulating in my home. Obviously during winter the temperature can get to 0c here and garage can be pretty cold. 

I've never really had any issues though. The rubber played fine. It might be different if you already have the rubber glued onto your blade? No idea.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 10:37pm
I wouldn't think it should hurt things and would expect the rubber to play normally when it reaches room temperature.  But heck, I don't really know.  How 'bout taking an old piece of rubber, freeze it a few times and see if it is affected.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
geardaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geardaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2020 at 11:57pm
You should not expose the rubber sheets to extreme cold or heat.  Also avoid direct sunlight.  All of these things will definitely shorten the lifespan of a good quality rubber sheet.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2020 at 4:56am
April Pusan WTTC is likely to be re-scheduled for the very end of the year 2020, for the hazard of COVID. God forbid human race has deceased all together.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic