FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

adjusting to different tables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adjusting to different tables
    Posted: 02/19/2020 at 7:20pm
I found out that not only do I have to adjust to different places and lighting conditions but also different tables! 

There's some tables that I play horrible at and miss a lot of balls because of weird bounces and bad spin retention. It's really hard to adjust in time yikes....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2020 at 8:27pm
It is odd that no matter what model or how old or new a table is I always notice that the net is too high, my opponents side is an inch too short, and I am always swinging where the ball isn't because of a strange bounce.

On second thought maybe it might not be the table.

It must be the balls !!!

Mark - Who is perfect in every way.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2020 at 10:42pm
Lol it's not an excuse for losing, but I really find I play significantly worse with certain tables / lighting conditions compared to others.... some players aren't really affected and I wonder how?!
-------
Viscaria

mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Lol it's not an excuse for losing, but I really find I play significantly worse with certain tables / lighting conditions compared to others.... some players aren't really affected and I wonder how?!

On a serious note, one thing it might be is how you are tracking the balls with your eyes.  If you have a tendency to look up early and not follow all the way to contact then an odd bounce or a different reaction in bounce to the amount of spin would tend to affect you more than someone who is following the ball longer before committing to the swing would do better.

If you are estimating the ball path more than actually tracking it then changes in lighting could be affecting your ability to estimate the path correctly.   

I have a problem when hitting against big side spin.  What helps me the most is concentrating on watching the ball all the way to contact in those situations.

Mark - No one is as blind as one who does not follow the ball to contact.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

On a serious note, one thing it might be is how you are tracking the balls with your eyes.  If you have a tendency to look up early and not follow all the way to contact then an odd bounce or a different reaction in bounce to the amount of spin would tend to affect you more than someone who is following the ball longer before committing to the swing would do better.

If you are estimating the ball path more than actually tracking it then changes in lighting could be affecting your ability to estimate the path correctly.   

I have a problem when hitting against big side spin.  What helps me the most is concentrating on watching the ball all the way to contact in those situations.

Mark - No one is as blind as one who does not follow the ball to contact.

Hmm interesting, I think there's a point where I stop tracking and start swinging at the ball, maybe I should try tracking it all the way! Thanks.
-------
Viscaria

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2020 at 1:45am

I found out that not only do I have to adjust to different places and lighting conditions but also different tables! 

There's some tables that I play horrible at and miss a lot of balls because of weird bounces and bad spin retention. It's really hard to adjust in time yikes....

Can you please name and elaborate more on some of the tables ?   

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2020 at 4:36am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Can you please name and elaborate more on some of the tables ?   

Haven't really noticed it, but will let you know next time I go to the club.
-------
Viscaria

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2020 at 7:19am
Hi,

Here are some things.  

Westchester, with its DHS tables, it is known by the top players who compete there that the tables are fast.  I've chatted with a few who have discussed how playing faster shots earlier in the point is advantageous due to the comparatively greater difficulty in playing defense.  DHS tables are known to have a less gritty top, that is, a smoother, harder top than other international-standard tops, thus facilitating the promotion of ball speed.

I coached, for an extended period of time, at a JOOLA table club.  On one occasion, a new JOOLA table was placed next to a quite-old JOOLA table of the same model.  I took the opportunity to alternate playing on these two tables to experiment with the bounce.  The difference was very significant.  The old table was decidedly softer, that is, the bounce was much lower than the new table and the new table was much more sensitive to the spin effect than the old table.

During the time I coached at the Werner Schlager Academy in Austria, the Chinese National Team three times used the facility to train prior to the Worlds.  On all these occasions, the Worlds was using Butterfly tables, as was the Academy.  I recall one instance where the Academy had two DONIC tables that, against my advice, they provided to the Chinese team for their playing usage.  The Chinese team declined to play on the two DONICs, electing instead to use the tables to hold their bags and extra equipment.

Thanks.

Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2020 at 2:09pm
The toughest aspect is adjusting to humid conditions.

Edited by FinalFight - 02/21/2020 at 2:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic