Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forehand drive problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ipingupong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forehand drive problems
    Posted: 02/29/2020 at 11:24am
I'm 6 1 and pretty athletic. I played xompetively as a kid but now it's 25 years later. Getting back into it and my backhand is relatively solid and my fh loops are as well (although they all tend to be sidespin)

I am having the toughest time with forehand drive/flick tho. Apparently I don't actually have a fh drive because I'm always using my arm to topspin and not just pivot at the waist. When i try to lock the elbow close in my wrist starts to spasm like it really doesn't like what I'm trying to do (making me question if I should be trying to do it that way).

I got a coach who always just says relax relax but eventually we get done driving and move to loops where I do well with my big arm motions.

Everyone in the club has figured out to give me short/ med balls to my fh with no speed. I either hit my fh smash on those or don't (if they are too short).  I guess my question is on any tips to help with this. I have yasaka rising dragon on fh because it's spinny and not too fast although I considered going to Hurricane 8 or neo to maybe get even slower for more control. 

My other question is when to use flick Vs drive on fh..  Thanks for any tips

Edited by Ipingupong - 02/29/2020 at 11:26am
Sponsored Links

juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2020 at 11:53pm
could you record a video for yourself? this will help a lot!
Lambomets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambomets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 12:12am
what blade do you use?
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
Adidas p7
Xiom Omega IV Elite
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 2:00am
I had similar issues like you... Eventually I started to respect these short FH balls a lot more than what I used to. One thing is that a loop drive stroke for a short ball is extremely difficult. I learnt to soft flick, chop smash, sideswipe, flat push and drop short against these balls instead which are easier and you can try to get your opponent to give you an easier ball to finish off. 

The problem with looping short balls is also the recovery after looping them, it's so more difficult to recover compared to looping a long ball. I have no idea how Ma Lin does it and follows up with a super quick FH loop lol...

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Lambomets Lambomets wrote:

what blade do you use?

I use a xiom azxi. The zlc side is my bh. It's limba outer and inner alc on my fh.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 8:57am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I had similar issues like you... Eventually I started to respect these short FH balls a lot more than what I used to. One thing is that a loop drive stroke for a short ball is extremely difficult. I learnt to soft flick, chop smash, sideswipe, flat push and drop short against these balls instead which are easier and you can try to get your opponent to give you an easier ball to finish off. 

The problem with looping short balls is also the recovery after looping them, it's so more difficult to recover compared to looping a long ball. I have no idea how Ma Lin does it and follows up with a super quick FH loop lol...

Thank you, I think this is really similar. I can't get the motion of a flick down but I do get a sideswipe in here and there. I've actually been doing Moreno what u are saying though trying to use the tackiness of my rubber to just give em back a short ball. I want to attack but just not a strength at all.

Edited by Ipingupong - 03/01/2020 at 8:58am
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 9:00am
I went to the club yesterday and had someone watch me and they told me my elbow was in too close to my body. They said I needed a fist amount of space in there. That seemed to help a bit on my drive.

I'll try to do a video if I can
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 10:04am
all mechanics aside, just be patient...those short FHs you can attack with short/long pushes with good placement ..the game has more than one shot - you're allowed to use them Wink
*sigh*
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 11:13am
Here is my favorite forehand flick video on the internet.  It definitely inspired me to improve mine.  My aggressive spin flick is now much more consistent than it used to be, though some people think the stroke is larger than optimal.  For me though having one is better than having none.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 3:41pm
This is an incredible video. Thanks!

Will work on this with robot
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2020 at 6:42pm
Attacking returns with awkward lower spin levels is a big problem for quite a lot of players to be honest.

They are normally an awkward height/length or popping up enough to try and do something with but it’s not always possible to make quality which can lead to a mistake if you are finding your feet on the strokes after a layoff of playing for some long years.

I don’t know if you have played lots and were very serious or more of competition local area player before but my advice would be to train at a slightly slower rate until you get a good level of consistency first.

Agree with Blahness that an angled soft flick if the ball is short with little spin. Step in close and get yourself closer to the ball so you have better arm control which leads to better racket head speed and quality might be a few options. Also maybe look at your table postion if this is coming off service returns as you may be recovering and leaving a hole.

Slightly higher balls can become tricky. A chop smash with power is very hard on the timing and consistency. Something even the very serious top players can’t undertake. I’ve never seen this used much with great effect.  A faster controlled angled push on the other hand coming down on the ball with a chopping motion to an angle might be a better return. Longer higher balls which you feel can be attacked you need to be ready and have your racket angle ready to judge the correct power, spin and follow through etc.

This might be a bit basic for you (apologies if it is)  but if you are a bit rusty there’s a video online with Tom Lodziak about attacking higher balls and common mistakes. Might give you some basic ideas to build on?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrRarfcMPs

Nice video find btw Nextlevel. Thumbs Up

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ipingupong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2020 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by ghostzen ghostzen wrote:

Attacking returns with awkward lower spin levels is a big problem for quite a lot of players to be honest

I don’t know if you have played lots and were very serious or more of competition local area player before but my advice would be to train at a slightly slower rate until you get a good level of consistency first.

Agree with Blahness that an angled soft flick if the ball is short with little spin. Step in close and get yourself closer to the ball so you have better arm control which leads to better racket head speed and quality might be a few options. Also maybe look at your table postion if this is coming off service returns as you may be recovering 

This might be a bit basic for you (apologies if it is)  but if you are a bit rusty there’s a video online with Tom Lodziak about attacking higher balls and common mistakes. Might give you some basic ideas to build on?. 

Nice video find btw Nextlevel. Thumbs Up

Thanks ghost, yeah I was pretty serious but very young (10-12). Its been a very long time and I think that somehow my mind is telling me these balls are easier to handle then they are. I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to try to be less aggressive and let it click
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2020 at 3:21pm
Cheers, No problem.

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2020 at 11:38am
learn from Dubina Smile

*sigh*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic