Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nittaku Acoustic - What Weight and What Rubber?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Acoustic - What Weight and What Rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Acoustic - What Weight and What Rubber?
    Posted: 01/16/2021 at 2:55pm
Hello All-

I've got a Nittaku Acoustic that has now become my weapon of choice. I came from a Yasaka Sweden Extra and initially found the Acoustic to be too hard to control. As my game has evolved, I now LOVE the Acoustic.

What Weight do You Like?
The one I have is only 84 grams because I got it as a gift... It works just fine but I now want to get a second Acoustic and I'm thinking it should be in the 88 gram range (?). Please let know what you think about the ideal weight of an Acoustic.

What Rubber has Worked for You?
Rubber-wise, I love Yasaka Rakza 7 on just about any blade but I'm not crazy about it on my 84 gram Acoustic. To me, the Nittaku Fastarc G-1 is fantastic on the Acoustic and I'm looking for other options to pair with it. The Fastarc G-1 is plenty fast, makes it easy to deploy pretty savage spin and I find it extremely controllable on my Acoustic. BTY - I play Seemiller style so backhand or forehand rubber is not relevant to me.

Thank you for reading and responding.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/16/2021 at 4:43pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Sponsored Links

trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 2:19am
My Acoustic FL is 85g and seems just right.  I have used G-1 on both sides and enjoyed it.  When Covid goes away I will try MX-P on it for a change.  It may end up too fast for me, but I would like to find out.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 2:31am
I like all my blades between 88 and 93 grams now. With the new ball, my MJ old model and Violin both ST at 92g perform fantastically. My 88gr Apolonia FL is awesome though and it's my main blade.

I'd want 90 to 92gr if I was on the market for an Acoustic.
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 4:06am
It depends mostly of your personal choise...I play well with blades in between 85-90 gr...but the ideal weight for me it is 86...Now...it is allwood...and for plastic ball you need power...so around 90 gr I think it will be ok...I think...
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 6:02am
Before buying a second acoustic, I'd consider all the acoustic options.

I used a normal FL Acoustic as a kid, but when I re-entered the sport, it became obvious as a man that the handle was tiny. FL acoustic is one of the smallest handles in the entire sport, and is unsuitable for a significant proportion of men.

I have very little idea about the Seemiller grip, aside it was popularized/invented by Dan Seemiller, a famous American whose trying to make the Olympics in his more advanced years, and hence don't know if the grip size is adequate with the way you hold it, i know for a traditional player, if you ever have to change your grip in your hands, that's a tell-tale sign the grip is too small.

Secondly, there are many varieties of acoustic. The wooden one is fine, but as you get better, especially with the plastic ball, you may find that in a year or two that a carbon inner or carbon outer or simply acoustic carbon is more suitable, as wooden only blades have fallen out of fashion for stronger players in this new plastic ball era.

As a kid i used a Acoustic [5 ply wood] FL,
 as an adult I've used acoustic carbon inner, LG handle, and i have two copies of this blade [1 for double inverted setup, one for my recent foray into SP FH, inverted BH].  I will invest likely in a backup blade for my new main setup

Edited by Basquests - 01/17/2021 at 6:04am
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 1:18pm
Basquests - thank you for your post. I've considered the Acoustic Carbon Inner... I would expect it to to have far greater blast power but would be harder to control with medium-hard strokes? I play fairly close to the table and wonder if the Acoustic Carbon Inner is more than I need right now. As best as you can recall, how does the Carbon Inner compare to the standard Acoustic? What rubber do you like on your Acoustic Carbon Inner?

The small handle works for me because of the Seemiller-style grip I use. I place my thumb and index finger on the lowest backside of the paddle face and use the other side for both forehand and backhand. For me, the hardest thing about this grip is being consistent with where exactly I place my thumb and index finger. Because of this grip, the small handle works well for me and I like the weight distribution of the 84 gram Acoustic I have. I may still try the large handle version anyway.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/17/2021 at 8:41pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by trumpet_guy trumpet_guy wrote:

My Acoustic FL is 85g and seems just right.  I have used G-1 on both sides and enjoyed it.  When Covid goes away I will try MX-P on it for a change.  It may end up too fast for me, but I would like to find out.

I have never tried MX-P but I really like MX-S on the DHS Hurricane 301 I have. I think either of these are worth trying on the Acoustic. I have a sheet of MX-S; will try it and let you know.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/17/2021 at 1:38pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 1:00am
I have two 87g C.pen acoustics. It’s a good weight for me. 
DHS skyline TG2 Neo and Skyline 3-60 work nicely for me. Additionally, FastArc G1 was a nice pairing for Bh.

Edited by alas - 01/18/2021 at 1:03am
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2021 at 1:26am
Originally posted by 6stringer 6stringer wrote:

Basquests - thank you for your post. I've considered the Acoustic Carbon Inner... I would expect it to to have far greater blast power but would be harder to control with medium-hard strokes? I play fairly close to the table and wonder if the Acoustic Carbon Inner is more than I need right now. As best as you can recall, how does the Carbon Inner compare to the standard Acoustic? What rubber do you like on your Acoustic Carbon Inner?

The small handle works for me because of the Seemiller-style grip I use. I place my thumb and index finger on the lowest backside of the paddle face and use the other side for both forehand and backhand. For me, the hardest thing about this grip is being consistent with where exactly I place my thumb and index finger. Because of this grip, the small handle works well for me and I like the weight distribution of the 84 gram Acoustic I have. I may still try the large handle version anyway.

I found the transition to be very seamless and quick. Its just a bit quicker, and you don't get quite as much feedback/vibration as pure wood, but still plenty enough. I have always been an attacking player who wins 95% of my points at the table i.e. even when lobbing I'm looking to get back to the table with an attacking shot etc rather than fishing.

I perceive a lot of upside in the medium term with the acoustic inner, as there is no point having 2 of the same blade if cost is an issue, and you might outgrow it soon, and you are uncertain it is 'the one.'

Its not significantly faster, its just every setup got slower with the plastic ball, so the Acoustic Carbon inner with plastic is probably about as fast as Acoustic [5 ply] with celluloid.

I have used MX-P (Max) on the FH and Xiom Omega V Tour on the BH (2.0mm).
That is quite a weighty setup, however, especially as the blades are 88-92g. Am I correct in assuming however that you only need 1 sheet of rubber with your style, so weight is not an issue at all?

I only say that because when I changed to Falck's Razka PO SP (Max) on the FH in December, and the FH's weight has gone down 15g, all my BH pushes, blocks, loops and BH smashes are all going on with amazing consistency from the very first BH warmup. There is definitely something to be said from not having too heavy a setup - 195-197g down to 180g flat is a godsend for feeling and maneuverability/ bat angles.

Edited by Basquests - 01/18/2021 at 2:13am
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

I found the transition to be very seamless and quick. Its just a bit quicker, and you don't get quite as much feedback/vibration as pure wood, but still plenty enough. I have always been an attacking player who wins 95% of my points at the table i.e. even when lobbing I'm looking to get back to the table with an attacking shot etc rather than fishing.

I perceive a lot of upside in the medium term with the acoustic inner, as there is no point having 2 of the same blade if cost is an issue, and you might outgrow it soon, and you are uncertain it is 'the one.'

Its not significantly faster, its just every setup got slower with the plastic ball, so the Acoustic Carbon inner with plastic is probably about as fast as Acoustic [5 ply] with celluloid.

That is quite a weighty setup, however, especially as the blades are 88-92g. Am I correct in assuming however that you only need 1 sheet of rubber with your style, so weight is not an issue at all?

I only say that because when I changed to Falck's Razka PO SP (Max) on the FH in December, and the FH's weight has gone down 15g, all my BH pushes, blocks, loops and BH smashes are all going on with amazing consistency from the very first BH warmup. There is definitely something to be said from not having too heavy a setup - 195-197g down to 180g flat is a godsend for feeling and maneuverability/ bat angles.

I was about to get another Acoustic just as a rubber testing platform and was also curious about how differently a heavier version would play, however, you've convinced me that Acoustic Carbon Inner should be my next blade. I get plenty of speed out of my Acoustic, but to have more power potential could mean that I could reduce my swing speed a little. I have a DHS Hurricane 301 which is also inner carbon and that one has worked well for my game (which is also pretty aggressive). The Acoustic Carbon Inner seems like it might be slightly slower and more control-oriented than the DHS Hurricane 301. That could be perfect for me in the months to come.

I play with rubber on both sides and will occasionally use a side for serves or serve return then flip/twiddle the paddle for the rest of the point. I understand Seemiller used anti-spin on one side and would twiddle the paddle when he needed it. Based on what I've read, Seemiller is the reason that we are now required, in tournament play, to use red and black colored rubber because Seemiller would use the same color rubber to intentionally disguise what side of the blade he was using. I typically outfit my blades with similar rubbers and will switch sides if it's advantageous against certain opponents.

MX-P is really heavy rubber! One thing I've noticed is how a specific rubber attached on one side has a minor effect on how the rubber in the other side will play. For example, MX-P on one side will moderately effect the way Rakza 7 plays on the other side. Also, I'm with you on the better maneuverability of lighter racquets in a game where microseconds can make a big difference.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/22/2021 at 8:12pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

I was about to get another Acoustic just as a rubber testing platform and was also curious about how differently a heavier version would play, however, you've convinced me that Acoustic Carbon Inner should be my next blade. I get plenty of speed out of my Acoustic, but to have more power potential could mean that I could reduce my swing speed a little. I have a DHS Hurricane 301 which is also inner carbon and that one has worked well for my game (which is also pretty aggressive). The Acoustic Carbon Inner seems like it might slightly slower, more control-oriented than the DHS Hurricane 301 and that could be perfect for me in the months to come.

I play with rubber on both sides and will occasionally use a side for serves or serve return then flip/twiddle the paddle for the rest of the point. I understand Seemiller used anti-spin on one side and would twiddle the paddle when he needed it. Based on what I've read, Seemiller is the reason that we are now required, in tournament play, to use red and black colored rubber because Seemiller would use the same color rubber to intentionally disguise what side of the blade he was using. I typically outfit my blades with similar rubbers and will switch sides if it's advantageous against certain opponents.

MX-P is really heavy rubber! One thing I've noticed is how a specific rubber attached on one side has a minor effect on how the rubber in the other side will play. For example, MX-P on one side will moderately effect the way Rakza 7 plays on the other side. Also, I'm with you on the better maneuverability of lighter racquets in a game where microseconds can make a big difference.

Awesome, thanks for sharing, hopefully it works out well in practice.

Yep, the short pips FH that replaced the max mx-p has immensely improved the playability of the smooth rubber, its not minor at all to me.

16 odd grams lower on the FH dramatically will change the balance of the  entire bat, as well as maneuverability.

For sure the difference would've been smaller had it been a more normal weight difference, its just strange that a FH rubber that i thought was amazing, in its max version, was dehabilitating to my BH to a huge extent.

In the future I'll be sure to find 2.0 mx-p or an alternative, when i want to enjoy a double inverted session sometime.

That's the thing with equipment, so many variables and knock on effects.  
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2021 at 11:25am
Acoustic inner carbon at 92 grams is my first shakehand. Plays great with lots of rubber combos . 
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Acoustic inner carbon at 92 grams is my first shakehand. Plays great with lots of rubber combos . 

I'm thinking standard handle and 90 grams. I've got to start with Nittaku Fastarc G-1 (2.0) only because it works so well on my all-wood Acoustic. I've been wanting to try Tibhar Aurus Prime (1.9) and this might be the time. I'm also looking at Andro Hexer Power Grip (2.0) because I read that it plays like Tibhar MX-S but is quite a bit lighter. Is there a rubber that stands out for you on your Acoustic Carbon Inner?

Edited by 6stringer - 01/22/2021 at 8:23pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2021 at 8:27pm
H3 Neo on FH, fastarc G-1,mxs,elp,els all work perfect
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

H3 Neo on FH, fastarc G-1,mxs,elp,els all work perfect

This is list of rubber I would try on Acoustic Carbon Inner (in order)
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 (1.8 & 2.0) wt 5.5, medium-hard, TTDP speed 9.0, TTDB Spin 9.4, TTDB Control  9.1 - throw 6.3, TTDB Overall = 9.4
Joola Dynarz ACC (2.0 or Max) wt 4.7, medium hard  (47.5) - TTDB Speed 9.4, TTDB Spin 9.5, TTDB Control 9.5, throw 5.6, TTDB Overall = 9.5
Tibhar Evolution MX-S (1.7mm, 1.9, 2.1) wt 6.6, medium hard (47.5) TTDB speed 9.2, TTDB Spin 9.5, TTDB Control 9.2, throw 5.3, TTDB Overall  = 9.5
Tibhar Aurus Prime (1.9, 2.1 & Max) wt 5.7gm, medium-hard (47.5) - TTDB speed 9.5, TTDB Spin 9.5, TTDB Control 8.9, throw - 6.7, TTDB Overall = 9.2
Xiom Omega IV Pro (2.0 or Max) wt 5.5gm, hard - TTDB speed 9.3, TTDB Spin 9.3, TTDB Control 8.8,  throw 4.8, TTDB Overall = 9.4 (durable)
Victas VS > 402 Double Extra (1.8, 2.0 or Max) wt 6.5, medium hard - TTDB speed 8.9, TTDB Spin 9.5, TTDB Control 9.5,  throw 5.6, TTDB = Overall 9.4 ($39.22 at TT11)
Yasaka Rakza 7 (1.8, 2.0, Max) wt 5.1, medium hard (45-50) TTDB speed 9.0, TTDB Spin 9.3, TTDB Control 8.8 - throw 5.6, TTDB Overall = 9.4
Andro Hexer Power Grip (1,7, 2.0, 2.3) wt 5.3, medium hard (47.5) - TTDB speed 9.2, TTDB Spin 9.4, TTDB Control 9.2, throw 5.7, TTDB Overall = 9.5
*one reviewer claims it is almost exactly like Tibhar MX-S

TTDB = Table Tennis Database which is now revspin.net. Rating numbers are averages of revspin.net reviewers. Weight listed seems to be based on a 0 to 10 scale with 10 being the heaviest.

Also, did I see that you once played with a Barwell Fleet?

Edited by 6stringer - 01/23/2021 at 10:23pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2021 at 5:03pm
before the pandemic got too serious, I used the nittaku acoustic carbon inner with mxp on fh and xiom omega7 euro bh, really liked that setup. pity couldn't play more with it. hopefully after the vaccine rollout there will be more opportunity for me 😅
brzecol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brzecol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2021 at 2:02am
Hi

I wanted to add small bit about your rubber choice. First of all Acoustic Carbon Inner is great blade and you will love it. Little to bit elastic for my liking (that is why after I have tested 4 inner fiber type blades I am keeping two old IF ALC and selling Acoustic and Apolonia) but nevertheless great. From my playing experience I haven't found better rubber on FH side than Fastarc G1. It's strange cause on other blades this version of Fastarc wasn't that great but it's brilliant on Acoustic. Maybe all claims done by Nittaku that blade was especially developed with Fastarc series are true? Hard to tell but this combo is great. Strangely I didn't like Tenergy 05 on this blade. Was bitt odd and to high throw. But I can recommend another setup that was great on Acoustic. It was Rasaner R47 on FH and R42 on BH, or two Rasanters R47 on each side (if you don't like softer rubbers). I liked first version more cause R42 isn't like other softer rubbers. It feels harder in play and doesn't bottom with more powerful strokes. So give it a try. Hexer Power Grip might be other great choice as you wrote but will lack bit of rotation from my liking. 

Let us know what is your feedback once you have the blade.

6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by brzecol brzecol wrote:

Hi

I wanted to add small bit about your rubber choice. First of all Acoustic Carbon Inner is great blade and you will love it. Little to bit elastic for my liking (that is why after I have tested 4 inner fiber type blades I am keeping two old IF ALC and selling Acoustic and Apolonia) but nevertheless great. From my playing experience I haven't found better rubber on FH side than Fastarc G1. It's strange cause on other blades this version of Fastarc wasn't that great but it's brilliant on Acoustic. Maybe all claims done by Nittaku that blade was especially developed with Fastarc series are true? Hard to tell but this combo is great. Strangely I didn't like Tenergy 05 on this blade. Was bitt odd and to high throw. But I can recommend another setup that was great on Acoustic. It was Rasaner R47 on FH and R42 on BH, or two Rasanters R47 on each side (if you don't like softer rubbers). I liked first version more cause R42 isn't like other softer rubbers. It feels harder in play and doesn't bottom with more powerful strokes. So give it a try. Hexer Power Grip might be other great choice as you wrote but will lack bit of rotation from my liking. 

Let us know what is your feedback once you have the blade.

So I've been playing more with my standard Acoustic and I can hit blazing shots with it using Fastarc G-1. I'm wondering if I really need the Acoustic Carbon Inner? I think I'll try it anyway. I'm with you on Fastarc G-1...I really didn't like it much on any other blade although that's only been two others.

Thank you for the Rasanter info- I already had some sheets on hand!
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic