Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2021 WTTC Houston USA Nov. 23-29

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627
Author
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Would be interesting to hear from forum members who went to Houston for the WTTC their thoughts and impressions regarding the tournament.  Anyone?

The first 5 days were general seating, so you got to sit in the perfect spot! Spectators and players watching their teammates play mingled in the stands, nice atmosphere. I thought the tournament itself was great.

Actual organization of the tournament was a bit chaotic.
  • Instructions on redeeming your week long VIP pass did not match what they actually wanted from you when you got to the ticket booth. People who were not tech savvy were very frustrated, and there was no real help, they just shunted you to the side and told you to figure it out.
  • They were obsessed with not allowing different people to use the badge (even though it was still only one spectator) so they made you wear a ribbon on your wrist the entire week, which could not be removed.
  • There was a program, but it only appeared on the final day, long past the point it would be useful.
  • Screens displaying the score only worked occasionally.
  • They divided day 6 into 2 sessions without allowing enough time to clear and re-admit the spectators.

Edited by jfolsen - 12/05/2021 at 5:49pm
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Would be interesting to hear from forum members who went to Houston for the WTTC their thoughts and impressions regarding the tournament.  Anyone?

The first 5 days were general seating, so you got to sit in the perfect spot! Spectators and players watching their teammates play mingled in the stands, nice atmosphere. I thought the tournament itself was great.

Actual organization of the tournament was a bit chaotic.
  • Instructions on redeeming your week long VIP pass did not match what they actually wanted from you when you got to the ticket booth. People who were not tech savvy were very frustrated, and there was no real help, they just shunted you to the side and told you to figure it out.
  • They were obsessed with not allowing different people to use the badge (even though it was still only one spectator) so they made you wear a ribbon on your wrist the entire week, which could not be removed.
  • There was a program, but it only appeared on the final day, long past the point it would be useful.
  • Screens displaying the score only worked occasionally.
  • They divided day 6 into 2 sessions without allowing enough time to clear and re-admit the spectators.

This is exactly my opinion too (although I I nly went on two days).  I went to the WTTC in Germany in 2017.  I think k it was a somewhat better fan experience in Duesseldorf. Partly I think the venue there was better suited for TT.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 6:15pm
I went for semis and finals (Sun Mon).
Some impressions
1. The women's game is starting to look a little more like the men's game.  They voluntarily move back off the table earlier in rallies than before.  They step around the elbow balls to hit forehands against topspin whereas they usually only did that against underspin.  They still engage in a lot of Bh to Bh to midfle Bh rallies, but because they are farther off the table they have to finish points with power, often from the Fh rather than the way they formerly won points with quickness (time pressure) and angles.

2. The men's doubles was one of the best displays of winning with tactics that I have ever seen.  The Swedes trapped the Koreans in a short push game that took them out of their previous nights aggresive power game.  The Swedes used long fast dead pushes after short pushing to throw off the Koreans looping.  And they favored closer to table blocking of the Koreans loops instead of always counterlooping.  The quick blocks of the powerloops often caught the Koreans not ready for the ball.  Just when the Koreans seemed to be adjusting and using flips to get out of the short push game, the Swedes switched to flipping early themselves and confused the Koreans again.

3. A lot of the younger generation male players are abandoning steady play in favor of taking high risk, high reward shots.  It worked well among themselves.  But against Fan those shots often became high risk, low reward because his defense and countering were so good.

4. Truls game is this weird mix of Waldner, Harimoto, Ito (flat Fh couner of loops) and that all or nothing Fh loop which kind of makes me think of Ma Lin. Definitely a combination that makes him unique.

5.  Lily's play in the mixed doubles semis showed how really good the very top players are.  Her shots, as good as they were, just not able to put her opponents on the defensive and  the counterattacks often kept her partner somewhat on the defensive side.  Not meant as a slight to Lilly but as high praise for those players in the top 10.

Mark
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 6:29pm
One more big one, table 1 was it's own arena, tables 2 , 3 and 4 had stands around them. There was a back row of tables they played many early rounds on, but there were no stands near them, so no way to watch them. Once the tournament got into the later rounds they stopped using those.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 7:32pm
I went for the whole event but had multiple things a spectator going on (supporting Nigerian, US and African players, meeting with people who want to promote the sport in Nigeria/Africa etc.), so for me it was a blast on many levels.  Also the first time I got to spend time away from my twins, who I love, but who keep me up at night.

The event is just as everyone described.  They did a lot of good things, but didn't focus on creating a *prime* fan experience and I suspect everything they did well was something they had done better in prior WTTCs.  Despite this general failure, the event had so much good will it was hard to mess up.  It brought the convention center and the city of Houston a lot of business it doesn't see during Thanksgiving and definitely during the pandemic so far.

There were a lot of hotels to choose from, the further away you stayed the cheaper they got.  If you stayed at the tournament hotel (Hilton Americas), you ran into players with high probability.  I stayed there for the first two nights I was there before moving to the Hampton Inn.

They provided only 5 tables for spectators to play, some of dubious quality, which is one reason why I said that they were not focused on the fan experience.  They really should have had a hall with at least 20 tables for spectators to play table tennis in.  Many people do come to the WTTC to play against friends.

As jfolsen said, they had tables 5-8 arranged in a way where there was no good spectator seating for viewing them.  This made little/no sense to me and can only be described as a lack of attention to detail.  The used tables 5-8 until the rounds of 32 were over so a lot of matches received very little fan attention on those tables.  I think Nikhil Kumar lost his match out there to Thiago Monteiro.  I cheered on match (Abiodun vs Amalraj) but players probably just heard me without knowing what was up.

Tables 2-4 had excellent experiences, table 2 especially, which I think was the preferred JNT table.  Quadri played his first 3 matches on table 3, I believe, and I cheered all those.  Met the Nigerian TT Team and lots of sports executives from Nigeria.

Table 1 I mostly visited when Kanak/Lily was playing, especially Kanak.  Was a blast rooting for him vs An Jaehyun, the 2019 bronze medalist.  In general, the earlier rounds were more fun to observe because you could sit almost anywhere once you entered the hall.  Unless of course, a Chinese player was playing ... those fans know how to support their players - they just take over everything.

Training halls were okay - had a coach/friend come over, I might have spent more time at them, but the Chinese team practiced so far away you couldn't see anything at first and only moved closer to the seating later in the event.

Some of the highlight experiences:

Lin Yun Ju vs Lim Junghoon on Table 4:  if I had any doubt that TT fans are as loud as any other sports' fans, this match closed that debate for me.  Watching the Korean team give Lim a standing ovation on every *point* in the 7th game and the Chinese Taipei fans cheer equally loudly was amazing.  

Truls Moregardh vs Lim Junghoon on Table 2/3: Watching Truls do what he did in real time was insane.  He seemed to have given up and just started doing junk returns, but you can't give up the match when your opponent loses the points and the games!  Seeing how Lim fell apart to the array of strawberry loops/chops, chop blocks, punch blocks, flat forehand smash counters and windmill loop kills was something else.  If someone can play like that, why do we learn all this technique lol?

Kristian Karlsson vs Quadri Aruna: Whoever sent the ball long with backspin was inviting a loop kill or spinny opener of infinite quality.  Survive that at your own risk.  I am surprised such ball bashing didn't break a ball.  Down 2-3, Quadri accepted that going long was a losing proposition and tried to play short short and other things to get the first topspin.

Kanak and Boll giving autographs at the Butterfly booths: not a fan of pictures per se or one to collect autographs from stars, but if they decide to formally offer to sign, given that other people I know were asking for them, I was all for collecting them.  Boll actually said he liked the Mazunov when signing it, which I found a bit funny (makes me wonder whether he tested it along with the Primorac Carbon).

Nigerian national team players hitting with amateurs at the tables: we got to play some of them.

They did give VIP ticket holders formal tours of the whole event space.  That was how I got to see the VIP training room for players who were going to play on Table 1.  Interesting how they try to minimize the walking distance to the table you are going to play on.

Probably lots of other thing but for another time.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Mazunov
FH: TBD (MX-S, C1)
BH: C1
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2021 at 8:46pm
Okay, some highlights:
  • Kanak Jha vs Ruwen Filus, a masterful use of tactics by Kanak, the highlights don't do it justice, this is why we need full matches on video
  • The Swedes beat both of China's men's doubles team, preventing a sweep
  • Truls Moregard down 0-3 and with a yellow card for throwing his racket somehow regains focus and pulls the match against Lim Jonghoon out
  • Apolonia vs Habesohn, a match you would be happy if it was the finals of the US Open, is a round of 128 at the Worlds
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 11:11pm
I rarely post on this forum but thought to post my (rather lengthy) impressions.  This was my first WTTC so I don’t have anything to compare to.  I was there for the entire tournament.  There were many things that could have been better which others have already mentioned.

The most egregious was setting up 6 of the 9 tables in the playing hall without any possibility of spectators being able to see matches on those tables thru the round of 32.  An example of a match on those back tables that no spectators attending the WTTC could watch was 2019 WTTC runner up Mattias Falck losing his Men’s Singles R64 match vs Alexandre Cassin.

The convention center is huge, they could have used 2 playing halls and distributed the tables such that all tables would be spectator friendly.

Also, going to the WTTC, I was very unhappy that Ma Long (and to a lesser extent Xu Xin) were forced to sit out.  I had really wanted to see Ma Long play live and was hoping for an epic 7 game final against FZD.

Despite all of that, the WTTC was a wonderful experience.  It turned out so much better than I had imagined.  While the CNT and JNT players were shielded from the fans, the rest of the players were very accessible.

I was acting like a star struck 13 year old girl and got many autographs and selfies with Aruna, Darko Jorgic, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran, Koki Niwa, Lee Sangsu, Suh Hyowon, Adam Bobrow, Omar Assar, Alexandre Cassin, Simon Gauzy, Jeorg Rosskopf, Timo Boll, and Kanak Jha.  Timo and Jha had formal autograph signing sessions.  All the others were players and coaches that were either walking the hallways or after their matches.  I spoke with many others such as Falck and Persson but forgot to take selfies with them.  I could have gotten many more autographs and selfies if I wasn’t so hesitant the first couple of days.  Timo is extremely gracious.  I couldn’t believe that he did the autograph session after sustaining his injury.

I sat with the S. Korean team during the LJY vs. LJH match.  Talk about bedlam by the Koreans.  Sat with the Germans, including Thomas Wiekert during the Patrick F vs. Moregard match.  Sat with the French in the mixed doubles match with Lebesson/Yuan vs. LGY/Lily Zhang.

I saw LGL, Ryu Seungmin, Jean Michel Saive, and Primorac (had dinner one night a couple of tables away from Zoran.)

TT fans are LOUD, especially the Chinese fans (insert name here - JAIYO!)  I watched the Calderano vs. LJK quarters.  The arena was absolutely ROCKING with huge support for both players. Such tremendous atmosphere!

To my amazement, what I didn’t find LOUD at all was Harimoto.  I can’t watch his videos with the sound turned on due to his loud CHOs.  However, in person, the CHOs didn’t seem all that loud. 

FZD has so much more power than everyone else on both FH and BH.  And he doesn’t miss.  I would have loved to see Ma Long try to tame him live, but it was not meant to be.  With ML out of the picture FZD will dominate Men’s TT for a long time as long as he stays healthy.

Watching TT live at this level is a whole other experience vs. watching it streamed.

The VIP pass included a tour of the facilities, access to the training hall, entering the main arena thru the lighted star thingy and onto the main court itself (table 1) and the media center. 

At the media center someone was introduced as the director of media.  I told him about the WTT app, the side camera angle, lack of full match videos, etc.  He thanked me for the feedback and said there is a group in Singapore looking to improve presentation of TT and he would provide them with this feedback.  I told him to read some of the English language TT forums as these topics are frequently discussed and TT fans are really frustrated due to these issues.  Unfortunately, the VIP tour moved on so I couldn’t really talk too much.  I’m not hopeful that anything will change but I said my piece.

The matches were wonderful.  With so many great matches that were going on at the same time, it was often hard to decide which one to watch or to go to the training hall to watch players practicing there.  Matches started at 11 AM and didn’t finish until midnight or later.  There weren’t any lunch breaks built into the schedule so my friends and I would need to figure out which matches to skip so that we could eat.  Restaurant Kutchens in downtown Houston close at 9 PM and with matches going on until midnight we had to figure out our dinner break.  They were using very young ball boys and ball girls and they were working the matches into the late hours of the night.  I’m not sure who thought that was a good idea.

There was no signage regarding the WTTC in Houston.  Just a mention of WTTC outside the Convention center itself.  You could easily walk past outside the venue and have no clue that there was TT going on inside.  They said they didn’t have budget for advertisements but claimed there was a lot of coverage by local media.

VIP lounge was nicely stocked with water, soft drinks, coffee, tea, a barista, and various snacks.  It was a good spot to take a break from TT.

For those of you on the fence whether or not attend a future WTTC; GO.  You won’t regret it.  Once the high level action starts you will soon forget all the stuff they did wrong or didn’t do at all.

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2021 at 11:21pm
Great review Footwork.  I really appreciated the insights.  So much coloured in for us.

I am in Brisbane, and plan to go to the Olympics TT in good time.  Expect a review from me.  

Cool
Twiddling MAZE off st Baby-oiled Hurricane 2 2.2 38 degrees + Friendship 755 OX LP
Watch me playing TT
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 4:50am
Ito: No matter what we threw at them, WMY/SYS handled it at will.
Hayata: Can't beat them even in theory.

伊藤美誠:無論怎麼打,中國隊都能應對自如
https://zh.cn.nikkei.com/politicsaeconomy/politicsasociety/46863-2021-12-01-10-03-29.html
「や£とこの日が来た」伊藤美誠&早田ひな“2年半ぶり復活”もリベンジならず…因縁の中国ペアに勝機はあるか
https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851009
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 10:21am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Great review Footwork.  I really appreciated the insights.  So much coloured in for us.

I am in Brisbane, and plan to go to the Olympics TT in good time.  Expect a review from me.  

Cool
I agree.  And thank you to all WTTC Houston attendees who've posted your thoughts.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2021 at 11:32am
Other observations:

·        They had the original trophies on display for the 5 events (Men’s and Women’s Singles, Mixed, Men’s and Women’s Doubles.)  Very cool.

·        Ito has a strange routine where she keeps her feet very close together and starts to bounce when receiving serves.  This caused her to be out of position or messed up her timing on serve receive and she lost several points per match due to this routine.  Someone needs to coach her out of this.

·        Timo is a warrior.  He played fantastic in his first match against Zhou Qihao.  He injured himself in the quarters against Kanak Jha but somehow pulled out the match 4-2 even though he could barely move to his left and FH loop.  I was sure he wouldn’t show up for the semi’s against Truls, but he valiantly fought for 7 games despite being noticeably impaired and in pain.

·        Aruna moved like a drunken sailor in his match against Kristian Karlsson, barely keeping his balance on most shots.  My friends and I were wondering if he was wearing wrong, non-TT shoes.  His feet were stuck on the floor and he would stumble and lunge at the ball at the last second.  Somehow he won 4-3.  He moved much better in his next match against Truls on the same court wearing the same shoes but lost 2-4.  The drunken sailor routine works much better for Aruna.

·        Kanak has improved a lot since his USATT tournament playing days.  Smart tactics, good control, developing some power but still lacking in this department compared to others.  However, he makes what he has work.

·        CNT men had several 4-3 scares.  Somehow they always pull out close games and matches.

·        No one outside China can touch the CNT women.  As a whole, they are on a completely different level than the rest of the world, including JNT women.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 5:59am
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2021-12-03/doc-ikyakumx1747790.shtml
Quote   展望未来,国乒想要继续保持强大,依旧要步履不停。李隼希望能够继续丰富队伍的打法配备以及加强针对性研究,“5名主力队员全部是右手,打法配备上连左手都没有,更别说削球打法、颗粒打法等传统打法,这可能是历届比赛的第一次,也将是女队今后重点要做的工作。这次比赛最大的收获是两个右手队员在双打上有一定突破,但是在奥运会等大赛上双打越来越关键,两个右手的搭配还是有点吃亏,所以我们在对抗不同打法对手时要做更深入的研究,给她们更好的环境,让她们快速成长。”(转自12月3日《中国体育报》02版)

Looking to the future, CNT wants to remain strong and still has to keep striding forward. Li Sun hopes to continue to enrich the team’s inventory of play styles and strengthen targeted research. “The five main players are all right-handed, and there are no lefties in the play-style inventory, let alone the traditional play styles such as choppers and shortpips. This may be the first time in the history of the WTTC, and it will also be the focus of the women’s team in the future. The biggest gain of this competition is that the two right-handed players have a certain breakthrough in doubles, but doubles in the Olympics and other competitions are increasingly crucial. The pairing of two righties is still a bit disadvantageous, so we need to do more in-depth research when confronting opponents with different styles of play to give them a better environment that allows them to grow quickly."
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
troubadour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troubadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2021-12-03/doc-ikyakumx1747790.shtml
Quote   展望未来,国乒想要继续保持强大,依旧要步履不停。李隼希望能够继续丰富队伍的打法配备以及加强针对性研究,“5名主力队员全部是右手,打法配备上连左手都没有,更别说削球打法、颗粒打法等传统打法,这可能是历届比赛的第一次,也将是女队今后重点要做的工作。这次比赛最大的收获是两个右手队员在双打上有一定突破,但是在奥运会等大赛上双打越来越关键,两个右手的搭配还是有点吃亏,所以我们在对抗不同打法对手时要做更深入的研究,给她们更好的环境,让她们快速成长。”(转自12月3日《中国体育报》02版)

Looking to the future, CNT wants to remain strong and still has to keep striding forward. Li Sun hopes to continue to enrich the team’s inventory of play styles and strengthen targeted research. “The five main players are all right-handed, and there are no lefties in the play-style inventory, let alone the traditional play styles such as choppers and shortpips. This may be the first time in the history of the WTTC, and it will also be the focus of the women’s team in the future. The biggest gain of this competition is that the two right-handed players have a certain breakthrough in doubles, but doubles in the Olympics and other competitions are increasingly crucial. The pairing of two righties is still a bit disadvantageous, so we need to do more in-depth research when confronting opponents with different styles of play to give them a better environment that allows them to grow quickly."

Only Tianyi and Man are the lefties on the team with decent potential, Unless there will be a quota system of some sort for more lefties and penholders and choppers which will negate competition based on Who is most fitting, I can't see a good or lasting solution to this problem because well most of the population is right handed, and most kids that pick up the sport are shakehanders. Natural selection favors right handed shakehanders. 
How many eyes have seen their dreams
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 5:49pm
Many lefthanded TT players aren't really left handed. Just saying. 

Edited by NextLevel - 12/10/2021 at 5:49pm
Mazunov
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Other observations:

·        They had the original trophies on display for the 5 events (Men’s and Women’s Singles, Mixed, Men’s and Women’s Doubles.)  Very cool.

·        Ito has a strange routine where she keeps her feet very close together and starts to bounce when receiving serves.  This caused her to be out of position or messed up her timing on serve receive and she lost several points per match due to this routine.  Someone needs to coach her out of this.

·        Timo is a warrior.  He played fantastic in his first match against Zhou Qihao.  He injured himself in the quarters against Kanak Jha but somehow pulled out the match 4-2 even though he could barely move to his left and FH loop.  I was sure he wouldn’t show up for the semi’s against Truls, but he valiantly fought for 7 games despite being noticeably impaired and in pain.

·        Aruna moved like a drunken sailor in his match against Kristian Karlsson, barely keeping his balance on most shots.  My friends and I were wondering if he was wearing wrong, non-TT shoes.  His feet were stuck on the floor and he would stumble and lunge at the ball at the last second.  Somehow he won 4-3.  He moved much better in his next match against Truls on the same court wearing the same shoes but lost 2-4.  The drunken sailor routine works much better for Aruna.

·        Kanak has improved a lot since his USATT tournament playing days.  Smart tactics, good control, developing some power but still lacking in this department compared to others.  However, he makes what he has work.

·        CNT men had several 4-3 scares.  Somehow they always pull out close games and matches.

·        No one outside China can touch the CNT women.  As a whole, they are on a completely different level than the rest of the world, including JNT women.

Nice reviews, No Footwork. I'm shocked that there was no spectator facility for some of the matches in the early rounds. To me, watching online it seemed that crowd numbers were pretty low. If you look at footage from old championships, even comparatively recently like 2003, there are many more spectators. Go back 20 years prior to that, still more.
The trophies are always paraded at each World Championships (it's the only way people outside China ever get to see them nowadays LOL). 
The situation with CNT women has been the same for the last 40 years - way ahead of everyone else. There have been Worlds where 13 of the last 16 in the Womens singles are players who learned the game in China (with several now playing for other countries).
For those of us who have been following the game for that long (and longer) the dominance of China is pretty tedious. I love it when there's an unexpected breaking of the mould - such as United Korea taking down the Chinese women's team in 1991.
There was a huge quotient of shock results at this Worlds, which made it far more interesting.At one stage there even was a possibility (on paper) that China might only win one of the five available Golds. 

But credit to China who have raised the game to such a level that everyone else must strive to catch up.

Edited by zzzuppp - 12/10/2021 at 6:12pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:38pm
I do think Miu Hirano's match with Chen Meng offers a glimmer of hope.  I can't recall exactly but Hirano was up either 9-9 or 10-8 in game 1 with the serve, but could not close it out.  She was also up 10-8 with serve and allowed CM to get to deuce.  Fortunately, Hirano got the 2nd game.  Then, up 2-1 in games up 8-5 in the 4th she lets it slip away.  She really needs to up her mental game to close out games.  But really she went toe to toe with CM for most of the match.  She needs to add a bit more consistency as the rallies get faster, stamina, and a bit more power, but it's not like it's some insurmountable mountain that it seems everyone is making it out to be.  Anyhow, it should be fun to see what transpires on the road to Paris for the Japanese women.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 6:52pm

I do think Miu Hirano's match with Chen Meng offers a glimmer of hope.  I can't recall exactly but Hirano was up either 9-9 or 10-8 in game 1 with the serve, but could not close it out.  She was also up 10-8 with serve and allowed CM to get to deuce.  Fortunately, Hirano got the 2nd game.  Then, up 2-1 in games up 8-5 in the 4th she lets it slip away.  She really needs to up her mental game to close out games.  But really she went toe to toe with CM for most of the match.  She needs to add a bit more consistency as the rallies get faster, stamina, and a bit more power, but it's not like it's some insurmountable mountain that it seems everyone is making it out to be.  Anyhow, it should be fun to see what transpires on the road to Paris for the Japanese women.

Yes the Hurricane in Hirano came back but to be honest that match felt more like an issue with outdated knowledge as well as dealing with psychological scars.  When Wang Manyu played Hirano a long time ago, she pointed out that Hirano was clearly better in all ways but psychologically damaged (WMY also wasn't one of the teammates Hirano beat in 2017 ATTU and it is easy to forget that Hirano is a WTTC bronze medalist). Hirano has modestly improved her backspin game so it took some time to rediscover the effective tactics.   It will be interesting to see whether she will survive the CNT dissection of her new game 
Mazunov
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 7:35pm
It is so odd that Ito appears to be the biggest name in the JNWT , but she has not really won any big medals, but Hirano has won quite several already.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

It is so odd that Ito appears to be the biggest name in the JNWT , but she has not really won any big medals, but Hirano has won quite several already.

At the Tokyo Olympics, Mima Ito won gold in XD, silver in teams, and bronze in singles.  Silver in WD with HH at the 2021 WTTC.  That's pretty good.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2021 at 8:33pm

At the Tokyo Olympics, Mima Ito won gold in XD, silver in teams, and bronze in singles.  Silver in WD with HH at the 2021 WTTC.  That's pretty good.

oops, I did not include what happened this year.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2021 at 5:09am

oops, I did not include what happened this year.

Well she did also win the 2019 WTTC WD silver with Hayata though I can understand why that doesn't register.
Mazunov
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252627
  Share Topic