Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best ever woman player
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best ever woman player

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
944davidy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 944davidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best ever woman player
    Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:29am
I am being told that Chinese have the best women players of all time. I did not know this , but one of my Romanian friends told me there was a player called Rozeanu , who can have Deng Yaping, Ding Ning etc for breakfast (and lunch & dinner).

I googled and saw she won many world titles & also heard she would have won more titles but for the World War 2.  Is this true ?  

Are there any videos of her ?  I know there were no videos then but I have seen old black & white videos  
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:56am
Uh huh.  Odd that someone would post a "question" like ths while still knowing who Ding Ning and Deng Yaping are.

Edited by Baal - 09/19/2020 at 12:00pm
bully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 12:30pm

Jump to navigationJump to search
Angelica Rozeanu
Angelica Rozeanu 1955.jpg
Angelica Rozeanu at the 1955 World Championships
Personal information
Full nameAngelica Rozeanu-Adelstein
Nationality Romania/ Israel
Born15 October 1921
Bucharest, Romania
Died21 February 2006 (aged 84)
Haifa, Israel
blade : Diode
FH Dignics 05
BH TSP Curl P1-R
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Uh huh.  Odd that someone would post a "question" like ths while still knowing who Ding Ning and Deng Yaping are.

I have had the rare opportunity to own A.Rozeany's paddle several years ago.
I could say that was pretty fast blade. If Angelica meets in her prime these 2 chinese girls,
I bet they will cry, using the same bat.
Otherwise, if they use the current materials - Angelica will needs training.
Situation is 50/50, but I know from my own experience - old masters can't be underestimated.
Once champion = forever champion.
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 6:23pm
Ruth Aaron? Went to the World's twice, won twice. Decided to stop because what was there left to accomplish?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 8:45pm
Consider this, Victor Barna won a lot of titles in his time but is he as good as players now??
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2020 at 11:49pm
The dinosaur worshippers are back!
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Hurricane 3 Provincial Blue Sponge
BH: Dignics 09c
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 4:50am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Consider this, Victor Barna won a lot of titles in his time but is he as good as players now??

That question makes an assumption that in my view is invalid.  It assumes comparability.

You cannot compare incomparables.  Victor Barna, Richard Bergmann, Marty Reiss etc. did not play the same game, I would say.  Which makes the comparison moot; after all. Is Tiger Woods as good as Jörgen Persson?
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 5:04am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

"In my day."

*Old man shouts at clouds.*
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 7:53am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

That question makes an assumption that in my view is invalid.  It assumes comparability.

You cannot compare incomparables.  Victor Barna, Richard Bergmann, Marty Reiss etc. did not play the same game, I would say.  Which makes the comparison moot; after all. Is Tiger Woods as good as Jörgen Persson?

Lol, why compare a golfer to a tt player? At least when making an arguement, start with a valid premise! 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 7:57am

By the way, your legends will get owned by Waldner, JSH and other modern players using hardbat if given time to prepare. 

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:30am
The thread title asked for the best player, not the greatest player.
For best player in any sport thinks of:

Standing on the shoulders of giants.
Standing on the shoulders of giants is a metaphor which means "Using the understanding gained by major thinkers who have gone before in order to make intellectual progress". It is a metaphor of dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants and expresses the meaning of "discovering truth by building on previous discoveries".Wikipedia

In other words the players are the standard they are because of the players that went before. Thus the best player of all time should be a member of the last couple of generations, if not, then the sport has stagnated.

>65yo, presently overweight rather than obese.
Darker Speed90 with T05H/Dignics05 and Darker Imperial with D80/D05.

Delusion is an asset
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:51am
Agree with Tinykin on this. Deng Yaping wouldn't be top 3 on the Chinese women's team today, even in her prime. She had specific trouble with 2 winged loopers, who were few and far between in her day but plentiful now (think He Zhili). Her flat forehand drive as her bread and butter shot isn't going to cut it in 2020. Time marches on, progress happens.
YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 11:18am

Lol, why compare a golfer to a tt player? At least when making an arguement, start with a valid premise! 

That is exaclty my point.  Barna did not play the same sport as (say) ZJK.  Which makes them incomparable, pretty much like Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Nikki Lauda are.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Hmmm. That line may be worthy of addition to my database.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 12:21pm
FOSTERING GODDESS.
His name is Tosuke Matsuzaki, the foster-farther of Goddess.

His name is Tosuke Matsuzaki.
https://m.vk.com/wall199930161_874
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 2:39pm
The correct answer is Zhang Yining.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 6:07pm

That is exaclty my point.  Barna did not play the same sport as (say) ZJK.  Which makes them incomparable, pretty much like Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Nikki Lauda are.

Again, your point is the one that is invalid. Waldner and JSH can pick up a hardbat and own the legends you mentioned. We are talking about the same sport only in different eras. If you are gonna argue about using sandpaper bats, fo ad watch world championship of pingpong and you will see good players there that can still kick your legends' arses. You failed to take into account that in those times tt is still in its infancy and was as not as developed as compared to today. Even some of the techniques before that they were using are noobish compared to the standards of today. Yes they are good defenders, blockers, choppers, etc but let them play against waldner and they will get owned. I am not even gonna talk about physical fitness, body mechanics and athletic ability because they will just steamroll on your points of arguement. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 09/20/2020 at 6:08pm

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2020 at 8:57pm

I remember she could have kept competing but chose to marry a rich guy instead. She could have grabbed  some more major titles but frankly, Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen would have shared dominance with her if not just snatched it.

Tinykin and his "stand on the shoulder of the great" analogy nails it here. Hopefully the goat is always the latest dominant player or the game is going down, a bit like an empire must either expand or self destruct into oblivion a.k.a lack of interest. Thanks as always, tinykin, good call again!!!!

I can't help mentioning tennis and McEnroe here: they made the courts slower after McEnroe introduced the dominant service/volley game that Becker and Edberg would apply so well too and when the ball bounced less, the baseline lumberjack style dominated again for longer rallies and more spectacle (hmmm...it reminds me something related to our balls); a strategy based on service/volley could not survive. So really McEnrow is the goat until they changed the rules.

Change of rules = change of sport. If it's true for 2 players a very few years apart it's got to be true for 2 players 5 or more decades apart too.

Edited by stiltt - 09/20/2020 at 10:06pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2020 at 6:53am

The irrepressible Ian Marshal wrote an essay soon after Zhang's retirement arguing she should be selected as top women athlete in all sport for the decade.

Thanks.
Optimal table tennis body fat percentages:
Men    8 - 15%
Women 16 - 22%
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic