Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did you play with 38mm ball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Did you play with 38mm ball?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [81.94%]
7 [9.72%]
3 [4.17%]
3 [4.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:16pm
and hiding services as well....
Equipment Alchemist
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:19pm

Edited by pingpungpeng - 08/13/2019 at 11:48pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2019 at 10:36pm
Yes briefly. I don't remember how it felt. I was just starting. And it was before I got a single lesson. 
And the reason I got started is doubles. We used to play to 21. I found doubles extremely addicting. It was later that I found one on one to be more satisfying.

FdT
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 2:32am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

"Glue outside!" used to be a pretty common directive.  It wasn't adhered too all that much, though, and the top players would be merrily soaking their rubbers in cement, regluing directly prior to a match. 

In my case it was done outside the club in the corridor. So every time I came to the club, I knew someone has reglued LOL
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 4:19am
I did play with 38mm balls and still have a dozen.
Life is too short for defensive play.

spinnier.com
fb.me/spinnier
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 5:38pm
I played with them for longer than I have played with 40 or 40+
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I played with Green rubbers on both sides.

My first racket with sponge was Butterfly French Style with green pips on both sides. My first tournament opponent (12 years later) played with green on one side, gold on the other - the two distinct color rule was in effect.
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 8:26pm
Me too (green rubber).   My first real blade, a Stiga Alser with green 3 star Cobra.  Purchased in Stockholm in 1969.

I got one with red Mark V in 1973.  Amazingly that is more or less what I used until I got my first composite z(Butterfly Keyshot) decades later.  And then it was glue time baby!!  My rackets smelled like a chemical plant right up until 2008. Used a Viscaria with Bryce.

Edited by Baal - 08/14/2019 at 8:33pm
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 8:44pm
I still have a bunch of the 38mm balls. Its fun to whack them around like rounded boomerangs. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2019 at 8:45pm
Well, at least we get a fun look at the demographics here, shall we request the creation of a senior section? With proven age to post there and a chain of trust from established O50 people? Tim Boggan would show up maybe, that would be something. We’ll make Gary its honorary president (I like his old age playing posts) and mjamja the mod of it? The modovit? That’s what too much shadowing mountains brings to people. Time for mjazilla to play ball.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 9:54pm
I started by using Butterfly Appelgren AN (yes, he was sponsored by Butterfly back then, before switching to Donic later on).  I still kept the blade until a few years ago when several kids from church wanted to play TT and I gave them my old blades.

Then I used Yasaka Leopard EX (back then it was labeled the fastest blade ever,  LOL). 

Oh that classic Chinese blade:  DHS PF4 and DHS 08. 

Rubbers were Sriver, Super Sriver, Mark V, and that green rubber (forget its name).

So yes, I used the 38 mm ball.  
Acoustic
H3-Neo / Mark V
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

(12 years later) played with green on one side, gold on the other - the two distinct color rule was in effect.

You are making up fish tales > Which year was that ?  The only rule about the two color setup was the two color rule of 1983 which says the (one & only) two colors allowed were red & black ....no green, no orange, no gold, no blue,  period. 

Did you win that match ? If not protest and have your ratings corrected  Tongue

Edited by dina_arif - 08/15/2019 at 11:23pm
CoachMcAfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachMcAfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:35pm
Won my first Open Men's Singles Title (1968 Orlando Summer Open) using a Siga Blade with green Cobra rubbers on both sides.  The green Cobra was quite thin sponge and the red Cobra was the thicker sponge.  
Coach McAfee
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2019 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

Won my first Open Men's Singles Title (1968 Orlando Summer Open) using a Siga Blade with green Cobra rubbers on both sides.  The green Cobra was quite thin sponge and the red Cobra was the thicker sponge.  

Was there not a rule long ago that mandated that both sides of the racket MUST be of same color (but any color) ?  (No I am NOT making this up).  When was rule was changed to allow use of any two rubbers of same or different colors (but keep in mind rules did NOT say they MUST be of different colors) ? Obviously after 1968 but before 1983
rcgldr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcgldr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 2:26am
Originally posted by dina_arif dina_arif wrote:

The only rule about the two color setup was the two color rule of 1983 which says the (one & only) two colors allowed were red & black ....no green, no orange, no gold, no blue,  period.
The initial two color rule was any two colors as long as they did not look similar (blue and blue-green (aqua)) would have been considered two close in color. The switch to red and black was later in 1985.

dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 3:15am
Originally posted by rcgldr rcgldr wrote:

The initial two color rule was any two colors as long as they did not look similar (blue and blue-green (aqua)) would have been considered two close in color. The switch to red and black was later in 1985. 
From what I read somewhere, Dr.Rufford Harrison, the author of this rule was quoted as saying "We considered using two color groups" but then manufacturers chose to go with Red & Black" 

I checked ITTF history webpage & it does say "Two Color Rule" came in 1983 but red & black came only 1985.   Since heavyspin did not quote the year I was mistaken about this. I apologize regardless & I assume he was quoting between 1983 & 1985   
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 4:15am
In Belgium, there are some tounaments (near Antwerpen) where 38mm balls are used. I know several very good players who stopped playing official competition since the plastic balls.
They were still very strong with plastic balls but didn't have so much fun....
Some of them completely stopped and some just play with each other for fun, with 38mm balls, speedglue for some, old long pimples....

Edited by kakapo - 08/16/2019 at 4:16am
Nittaku Goriki 94gr, victas V15 extra 2mm, super do knuckle, 1,4mm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 8:11am

From what I read somewhere, Dr.Rufford Harrison, the author of this rule was quoted as saying "We considered using two color groups" but then manufacturers chose to go with Red & Black" 

I checked ITTF history webpage & it does say "Two Color Rule" came in 1983 but red & black came only 1985.   Since heavyspin did not quote the year I was mistaken about this. I apologize regardless & I assume he was quoting between 1983 & 1985   
My first tournament was definitely March 1986 and my first opponent played with green and gold. From what I recall the black and red rule went into effect shortly after, like 1987.
I couldn't find my backhand loop last tournament so I went to the lost and found.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 8:14am
Table tennis is played with 38 mm ball. Ping pang  - with 40+

Edited by ChichoFicho - 08/16/2019 at 8:14am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by CoachMcAfee CoachMcAfee wrote:

I remember reading my Table Tennis Topics newsletters and how Orlando was becoming a table tennis center under Fred "H" Blair's leadership.

Meanwhile, I was playing with a Ken Kasten paddle (as did Danny Pecora, one of my mentors) and green Butterfly inverted. Kasten would have a few dozen sheets and I would go through them and pick the ones with the thickest sponge. I got good enough (despite being in Milwaukee) to win the US Open junior men's doubles with Mike Peterlein, get appointed to the junior team, and get to the 16th's in Men's singles at the US Open (losing to the great Gusikoff in 4).

Then Stiga came out with the Erlich racket, and we all switched. Everyone used carbon tetrachloride to clean the rubber. Talk about grip and spin!
Tony
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 11:52am
My first tournament was 1983 (Mississippi Open-Starkville). I was surprised to see some paddles there with black rubber on one side and red on the other. 
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 6:12pm
Good stories
My year going to a club was in 1976  I did play at home before that
I had a great time using a premade bat
 When I was going home the club Manager came up to me and said hmmm..... hay we don't wear white because of the ball colour, I had a white shirt, white shorts, white socks and white sand-shoes.
I had no idea, I thought it would be like Tennis hahaha, I still remind others about wearing white almost weekly
 The next week I got told that I couldn't have decals on the rubbers
I used only two different bats for the next 14 years without ever changing the rubbers
I always wanted a table tennis shop and 34 years later I got one

Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 8:45pm

My first tournament was definitely March 1986 and my first opponent played with green and gold. From what I recall the black and red rule went into effect shortly after, like 1987.

If you look at the ITTF history webpage it says two color rule came in 1983 but re & black only came in 1986. I think lot pf players including me did not know the rule change or pretending or protesting in 1986.

dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

When I was going home the club Manager came up to me and said hmmm..... hay we don't wear white because of the ball colour, I had a white shirt, white shorts, white socks and white sand-shoes.
Maori club I presume ? Ouch

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I thought it would be like Tennis hahaha,

U mean more like (test) cricket ? 

I think they started using colors already in tennis by 80's if I am not mistaken
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2019 at 9:13pm

If you look at the ITTF history webpage it says two color rule came in 1983 but re & black only came in 1986. I think lot pf players including me did not know the rule change or pretending or protesting in 1986.

Yes, there was a gap. Originally it was thought that just any two colors would be fine. But, given human nature, many players were picking black and deep maroon, which was extremely hard to differentiate (but technically legal). So we finally arrived at red and black.
1dennistt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Yes, there was a gap. Originally it was thought that just any two colors would be fine. But, given human nature, many players were picking black and deep maroon, which was extremely hard to differentiate (but technically legal). So we finally arrived at red and black.

Wasn't it called "bright" red?  The idea was to discourage a dark blue or black sponge under a translucent red topsheet, which would defeat the purpose of having a red topsheet.
Xiom Hayabusa Z+, Victas V>15 Stiff (Black) Max, Spinlord Keiler (Red) 1.8 mm,
Wt. 167 gm total weight
dina_arif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dina_arif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2019 at 10:09am
Dr. Rufford Harrison said (explaining the differences between black & red rubbers) one was a dye & one was a pigment (forgot which was which) . This may have changed over 30 years and both colors may be now available in both pigments & dyes .

Why is all this red & black discussed in a thread about 38 mm ball anyway? 
Prim & proper Aussies like Tassie52 & HaggisV may have a heart attack if you violate forum etiquette like this hijacking threads  
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 3:28am
It seems we are overwhelmingly experienced Clap

Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

I did play with 38mm balls and still have a dozen.

I have 16 different 38mm balls. All counted in my xls LOL:

1 BERY 201
2 BERY 202
3 Butterfly
4 CPORT (soviet union)
5 CPORT (soviet union) 8 kp
6 Crenpkona Vietnam
7 Double Circles
8 Kettler One Star
9 Milano (India)
10 Nittaku
11 Nameless plastic(?) shit
12 Rovera
13 SHIELD -38mm x3vnt
14 Another nameless plastic shit
15 TTC China
16 Vietnam 01

Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
rcgldr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcgldr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 4:48am
Brands of 38 mm that I recall:

Barna - hard ball with rough surface
Halex - average ball (I have a box of 6 of these still)
Nittaku - average ball
Peace - soft ball with very smooth surface
Schildkrot - hard ball with rough surface

jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2019 at 10:00am

Brands of 38 mm that I recall:

Barna - hard ball with rough surface
Halex - average ball (I have a box of 6 of these still)
Nittaku - average ball
Peace - soft ball with very smooth surface
Schildkrot - hard ball with rough surface

These are all accurate reviews. Our favorite balls were Nittaku, very consistent and high quality control.
Halex were also high quality, but so light and soft it was hard to get any feedback.
Schildkrot, so hard, afraid of injuring the rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic