Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - same spin, more control than bryce fx (unglued)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

same spin, more control than bryce fx (unglued)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
preemorack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preemorack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: same spin, more control than bryce fx (unglued)
    Posted: 03/31/2007 at 11:54am
My 11 y.o. son plays with unglued Bryce FX on Timo Ball Spirit. He wants no less spin, maybe a little less speed but mostly he wants more control. We don't want to start speed glueing.

Had wondered about Joola Energy GP. Any thoughts on that or other recommendations?  Playing style is close to the table looper, brush spin server.
Sponsored Links

chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 1:05pm
Playing with bryce fx on tbs is stupid. Go for a slower blade now and he could probably go back to the tbs, when he got more experienced. I would say.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preemorack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 1:46pm

Thanks for the input but whether it is "stupid" is debatable - some of his peers are speed-glueing - he's certainly not playing with the fastest setup. As I was saying we were minded to switch to a slightly slower setup - hence the question about a spinny unglued rubber to go with TBS.

Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 1:52pm
sriver is aways a great choice, especially for a 11 yr old. TBS is a fairly fast blade for him, so you can afford to have a little  slower rubbers, like sriver, i would recomend 1.9 mm.
Cheers, Pip
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 1:55pm
And then you would have timo boll's exact setup Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preemorack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 3:44pm
thanks for the sriver suggestion - I take it you mean the normal sriver rather than sriver fx - I had wondered about sriver g2 fx - I was thinking that the FX versions might give more control.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 3:49pm
just go for something slow, most inverted rubbers out there will have more spin then bryce fx unglued. i'd say go with something slow and maybe alittle softer so more forgiving, if you are stuck with butterfly, sriver el 1.9 is great, as is the earlier suggestion of sriver 1.9. i found the el more forgiving though.
stiga has innova ultra light, go with 2.0 or soemthing, thats a very nice, light, great control rubber.
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 9:59pm
I have used Bryce and Bryce FX unglued before, and I find that Donic Desto F2 is better. Perhaps it would work for your son too.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 10:20pm
I am not surprised your son found spin lacking with the Bryce FX unglued.  Without glue, there are many, many superior rubbers; Bryce needs glue to bring out its true class.  I agree that a softer rubber like Sriver EL would probably work well.  Sriver FX might be a little too soft for the fh.  
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 10:37pm
Even glued up Sriver is fairly slow. SO unglued you should have plently of contol. From experience the G2 version was not noticably spinnier from the normal variant.

Gark
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 10:54pm
no, glued up sriver is up there with bryce imho, its one of hte faster rubbers out there. even sriver EL is plenty fast when you use glue.
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2007 at 11:47pm
Timo boll uses 1.9?! I thought all good players use 2.1 +
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 12:20am
Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

no, glued up sriver is up there with bryce imho, its one of hte faster rubbers out there. even sriver EL is plenty fast when you use glue.

I think that Sriver is slower than the Hammond and even that was slow for punching. Let's see...I would consider Almana, Neos sound, fresh Bryce to be fast....maybe it was because my sheet of Sriver not being new, but it just seemed quite ordinary to me.

Originally posted by Qtjoel Qtjoel wrote:

Where did you get this from?

Gark
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 12:34am
the dude said that if he got sriver 1.9 on both sides and a timo boll spirit he would have the same exact setup as boll.
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 12:36am
I meant he would have the same blade + rubber lol. I didnt consider thickness, of course Timo uses MAX.
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 1:39am
unglued bryce fx and sriver is nothing special (master of none but jack of all trade), and sriver L or EL will allow your son to develop proper technic. once you used to sriver, hack, the top-end power and all-roundness of the rubber is still hard to beat, especially with Jpen.

on a shakehand, I can tailor my BH and FH rubber separetely, so not much problem. other classic to considered will included Mark V and JO waldner. both have softer topsheet(and/or sponge) for better control compared to sriver's kinda hard feel (the sponge will soften with time into something really amazing though, so I kinda glued them up initially and every once in a while until I like it unglued). both of these would be better fot looping and serve than sriver!!! (BUT I DO NOT OWN A TBS, so have no idea how if feels with JO and Mark V) You may need to look into it.
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 1:46am
sriver g2 fx is a good looping rubber and has excellent control it is very soft so it will generate good spin.sriver fx or el might work .as well as mark v if you can find it ,mendo mp is an excellent choice or checkout dawei inspirit it plays nice without glue and is a lot cheaper than the above.
Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 2:14am
tbs is not really a fast blade. sriver is the best choice.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 10:38am
F3, a lot of the juniors are using that now.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preemorack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 1:22pm
Thanks to all for those replies - I think I'm leaning towards sriver g2 fx. Some of the discussion (naturally enough) seems to be based on the assumption of using glue - which is not my focus. I gather that people say that the bryce topsheet has a "grippy" quality which seems useful for maximising spin on serves. I'd like a replacement that was at least as good as Bryce fx unglued in that respect. Any thoughts on a grippy rubber to be used unglued on a TBS.
Visse View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 2:48pm
Hey preemorack, try the Plasma 380 or 430. They need no speed glue and have great spin and control.
Visse SS blade
Donic Quattro formula
http://castldine.tripod.com/table_tennis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preemorack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 3:38pm

Thanks Visse, I had wondered about Plasma 430. Would you expect that to have more control (and how about speed and spin) in comparison to Bryce fx unglued?

kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 3:51pm

yeah i thought Timo uses max on both sides.... ^o)
Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
Visse View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 6:43pm
I havent used Bryce FX. I like plasma 430, its soft for good control, but because of the built in speed glue effect, has excellent spin and speed for topspins. I really like the dwell that I can feel with it. Also, no gluing! and it is made in Germany, better than Japanese.
Visse SS blade
Donic Quattro formula
http://castldine.tripod.com/table_tennis
PaovicFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaovicFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by kmh888 kmh888 wrote:

yeah i thought Timo uses max on both sides.... ^o)

Originally posted by Pip Master Pip Master wrote:

I meant he would have the same blade + rubber lol. I didnt consider thickness, of course Timo uses MAX.

Timo Boll Forte
Sriver L 2.1
Tackifire Special Soft 2.1
Nova Super Speed Glue
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 8:14pm

well ofcourse oyu need ot atleast try sriverG2 it has mroe spin and less speed

Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Xexz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xexz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 9:32pm

for foregand, maybe try the chinese rubbers like DHS Hurricane series or Globe 999?

If u dun wanna consider chinese rubbers, then id say try the Donic Desto Series.

I have been using H3 for quite some time on my forehand. And I have switched to other rubbers but I found I liked H3 more. Yes its slower than most rubbers, but I like to make use of the spin. Speed you can easily made when you have the proper technique. And when you have spin + spped, it equals to explosive power :P lol

I havnt tried the Globe 999s tho :( but I heard its good for beginnings. More control as well, I believe? i dunno someone correct me on this.

And as for Donic Desto series.  I have only used the F1s and its fast. I started F1 with a slow wood blade and I found it fast. Later, I put it on my KLH SP. and its even faster! my gosh -_- and I find the control is there as well!

Hehe, currently my setup is KLH Sp blade with H3 forehand ad either F1 or Hammond backhand.
forehandchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 9:47pm

DHS hurricane and Globe are just too heavy for a 11 yrold. Besides, these rubber dont have much speed unless you use lots of speed glue on them.

For more spin, less speed and more control compared to Bryce Fx, maybe you can try out the Sriver G2 FX.  However the feel is different, Sriver G2FX has higher throw than Bryce FX.

There is another althernative, which is the Dawei Saviga... although does not plays the same with Bryce FX but it is quite close, it is slower. Saviga is also very light, very suitable for an 11 yrold and very cheap

So my choice would be...

1. Dawei Saviga 2.1
2. Sriver G2FX 2.1
3. Bryce FX 2.1

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 10:05pm
honestly so yourself a favour and go with sriver or sriver el, they are great beginner all around rubbers that will allow him to develop a consistent all around game. Sriver G2 FX and Bryce, hurricane, etc. are all too fast. if not sriver then i would highly recomend innova.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2007 at 10:29pm
A local coach's nine year old daughter uses H3 both sides. Please tell me the average eleven year old boy is stronger than a nine year old girl.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic