Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please comment on equipment selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sureshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please comment on equipment selection
    Posted: 04/06/2007 at 12:00pm
I am coming back to table tennis after a break of many years and I would say I am somewhere between a beginner and intermediate. I was playing with a cheap $5 Walmart racquet the last few weeks and it became an embarrassment to the players who asked me to upgrade. I did not know about this board till today and ordered from Paddle Palace a couple of days ago the following:

Stiga Clipper WRB Oversize (OFF+ rating) blade
Stiga Almana (9.0 spin, 9.2 speed) 2.3 mm rubber on both sides

I think it is a very offensive combination. Do you think I made a mistake with such a combination or it doesn't matter at my level or it is OK to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

seanknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 12:21pm
at your level and what you were playing with, it will be too fast. uncontrollable without proper strokes and technique
sureshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by seanknight seanknight wrote:

at your level and what you were playing with, it will be too fast. uncontrollable without proper strokes and technique

If I later decide to keep the same blade but switch rubbers, what should I use?
waldiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 12:56pm

I think it is reasonable for you to go for a rubber with more control and durable.

But also the blade is important. If you are certain that you want to fallow and not break again I think it is better also to change your blade.

I have not so much experience with stiga but I can offer some thing of bty.

For my intermediate offensive young players I suggest pitter corbel. Because it is chip and also very good off blade with reasonable control. Primorac is not bad also but so softer and not speedy enough. It is depended to your style and level.

For rubber I think yasaka mark v and sriver fx or el can be good offer too>

Almana doesn�t do so long and may be that is good for player who can change it very soon.

Blade: KLS
FH: Bryce
BH: Nittaku hammand
kei123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kei123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 1:21pm
you can get stiga allround classic and two side of Yasaka mark V.
or stiga energy wood or just get a glaxy 896 from cole.
sverige View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sverige Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 1:47pm
Yes, Mark V is very good for almost all levels. And sriver.
Donic J-O Waldner Carbon Senso
Donic J-O Waldner red 2,3(bh)
DHS Hurricane 3 black 2,2(fh)
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by kei123 kei123 wrote:

get a glaxy 896 from cole.

I'll second that. Excellent blade and very inexpensive.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 5:03pm
I would go for a Yasaka Extra 3d combo at ping-pong.com for $79.  You can match it with your choice of rubber.  I would select JO Waldner MAX (durable medium+ hard rubber) on FH and one of the Mark Vs on BH (I personally use Mark V XS max).   You'll want to make sure
to use medium hardness sponges with this soft blade, especially on FH.

I currently have my extra 3d with Saviga 43degree max on the FH which I purchased from Cole (colestt.com) and am very happy with it.
Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 6:58pm
aye. I agree with the guys above. That combo will probably be too fast for you. I suggest thinner Mark V or Sriver rubbers with an all around or off- blade.
わが青春に悔なし
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 10:52pm
Go to colestt.com and get the Kama with 2008 XP it's $20.  That's cheap and far better than any premade.  The racket you have is great just use it in about 6 months after using this setup.
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2007 at 11:08pm
There's really no point in spending so much on Mark V and such until you play more serious. The quality of Chinese brands is very good and they have non-tacky euro/jap-style rubbers so why pay over $100?
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2007 at 4:18am
that blade does seem to be too fast for you...  unless if you are like one of my friends who controls the ball very well with a hard and fast blade, but can't play for crap with a high control rated blade, i suggest you to begin with an all around blade; Yasaka Gatien Extra, Yasaka Balsa, and some DHS, Friendship 729 all around blades can be good candidates.  as for rubber, seems like you want to go the inverted rubber way (attack, loop), i think no matter what rubber you get, there's going to be a period of frustration and getting use to; so i would say try some dhs and 729 rubbers as they are cheaper and have the same quality as other brands.
aight, good luck on your journey back to table tennis, and hope you succeed in the progress of becoming the next world champ Thumbs%20Up
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
sureshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sureshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2007 at 3:51pm
Thanks for all your comments
normal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2007 at 7:08pm
If you are really sreious you could try the 729 bomb or the 729 Hinoki stable bladers and start with rubbers no more then 1.5mm in sponge thickness.Anything else and you will never learn a right stroke technique.The FX EL has a very good control and also the FX Super.
Will Power Carbon-Arylate by 729
Forehand Red LKT Rapid Soft 2.0mm
Back hand Black LKT Rapid Soft 2.0mm
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2007 at 10:56pm
oh yeah, forgot to mention, and normal brought up a good point, the thinner the sponge, the better, or the more feel you get when the ball hits the paddle, so starting out with something thin might be helpful.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic