Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Random Thoughts About Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Thoughts About Pips
    Posted: 05/14/2007 at 9:50pm
Is there a reason why the structure of pips (I'm referring to inverted rubbers here) is always cylindrical? Is this really the optimal structure to maximize speed, spin, etc? Has anyone out there used an inverted rubber with a different pip structure before or knows if the equipment companies have done any research into this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 2:02am
They are not always cylindrical. Some pips are conical (e.g. 729 802-40). I don't know the physics well enough to explain why they have this shape. However, the ITTF mandates a uniform surface and tolerates (for any extend period of time) only those rubbers which affect the ball in a consistent and predictable manner. Only a few pip-designs satisfy these requirements.
Instinct 5ply
RITC 2000 1.8mm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 8:38am
Good answer if the question was about pips out rubbers, but I belive the question is about the pip structure beneath inverted rubbers.

I'm quite sure that there have been some serious testing before the companies decide which structure to use. Not sure if they all are cylindrical...
The holy grail
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 9:46am

the pips should sort of remind you of springs, so it's logical to say that they are cylindrical. a cylindrical pip can bend better than other shapes because it provides the maximum flexibility and elasticity.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 9:49am
if you only play with a topsheet that doesn't have pips underneath, then you will not get the catapult effect.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 2:25pm
What if the pips were oval? Or if they were shaped like an hourglass, thinner in the middle but fatter where it contacts the sponge and topsheet? Or if it were the other way around, if it was tapered close to the topsheet and sponge but fatter in the middle?
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 5:15pm
I see what you're saying, and the first thing that comes to mind is that there are slight differences, but anything more dramatic would probably decrease the durability of the individual pips quite a bit.
stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2007 at 6:10am
Good idea. Maybe I'll ask my friend to manufacture some like that to try it out.
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2007 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by rpber rpber wrote:

What if the pips were oval? Or if they were shaped like an hourglass, thinner in the middle but fatter where it contacts the sponge and topsheet? Or if it were the other way around, if it was tapered close to the topsheet and sponge but fatter in the middle?

the ittf would sook & b&
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2007 at 5:31pm
i wonder what that would do butterfly pays people big bucks to answer that question though so i am sure testing has been done to answer that question
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2007 at 8:57pm
generally conic pimples would not be able to produce any spin at all because of surface area is reduced even more.
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2007 at 12:50pm
I think I read a good point.  Cylindrical pips may be better for consistency. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic