Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ordinary Glue and Varnish for blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ordinary Glue and Varnish for blade
    Posted: 05/24/2007 at 3:10am

I never glue the rubbers myself because the nearby store offer the service if you buy the rubbers there.  I think they use ordinary glue for rubber or tyre (YKK or KKK, I am not sure).  My questions are:

1.  Is it OK to use ordinary glue for rubber?  Is it hard to replace the rubbers if you don't use glue specially made for Table Tennis?

2.  To prevent wood from chipping, can I just use hairspray (suggested in this forum) or should I get a decent wood varnish?

3.  Will the varnish change the character of the blade?  Let's say, it's a soft feeling wood and good for loopings, will it feel harder / stiffer and harder to loop if I varnish the blade?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 3:18am
First of all,

1. Table tennis glue is basically Rubber Cement so that is definitely usable as a TT glue alternative.  Personally, I use JOOLA ZOOM glue when I don't speed glue my rubbers.

2. The chipping you describe is when the rubber is peeled from the wood blade and some of the wood strands from the blade peel off with the glue.  It happens but isn't common if you take the rubber off with care(removing it in a horizontal motion instead of vertically).  Personally, I haven't tried hairspray but I've heard it works and I intend to try it.  Wood varnish is a good investment if you can find it in a small can(usually $5 or less).

3. I would have to say no, but there is no conclusive evidence that sealing a blade changes the blades characteristics drastically.  Although, I am not sure as I sealed my blades when I got them with a wood varnish.  There is a definite chance as wood varnish is harder than the wood itself but from what I've read and heard, it should have little effect on the playing abilities of the blade.
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 4:29am
Thank you ProfessorChaos for the reply.
ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 4:54am
doraemon, here's a good guide to changing your own rubber.

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/rubberchg.htm

instead of using an exacto knife, many prefer a sharp pair of scissors(i know i do).
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 10:00am
Hi-fi speaker manufacturers uses spray guns which are effectively large aerosols to get a professional looking varnish finish on their products.

Hairspray works the same way because the aerosol cans it comes in give you an even and thin layer of lacquer, which is all you need to prevent splintering..

Normal varnish is harder to put on a thin even layer with, especially with a brush.

Does varnish change playing characteristics? that would depend on how thick it is.

e.g. The Stiga CR blades are quicker than the standard non CR version of the same blade, because the CR coating hardens the blade surface.

A coating of varnish if it is not thin could also harden the blade surface, making the blade faster and less spinny.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 6:27pm
According to my experience, the best way in applying wood varnish is to put some on a rag and wipe it on the surface of the blade, in the same direction of the wood grain. One coat will give a very minimum coating. Then I wait at least one day, and if considered not enough, I apply the second coat.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2007 at 7:57pm

Peter and Aeoliah, thanks for the inputs.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic