FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Photino and Solcion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photino and Solcion
    Posted: 05/31/2007 at 11:32pm
Ok...so I was bored and haven't bought anything in a good while. So I splurged and bought a Photino (ST) and 2 Solcion 2.1 from iruiru.com.

First off, iruiru.com had extremely fast shipping. I placed the order on Saturday night and received the blade and rubber on Wednesday.  I actually ordered the rubber only at first and then had to email them back to add the blade. The staff was very responsive and I received a reply email promptly.
I live in Charlotte, NC, so I was very impressed with the shipping speed.

The blade and rubber arrived packed very well in bubble wrap.

Glued the set up together...my basic chack was almost out so I dumped a tablespoon of stiga energy into it to recoup some of the dense glue stuck to the wall of the can. The glue returned to the consistency of the orginal chack.

Now for comparison...I have three other setups:
TBS w/ 2.1 sriver powersponge on each side (ps is 2 months old)
Maze w/ 2.1 sriver powersponge on each side (ps is 1 month old)
Maze w/ 2.1 Bryce Fh, 1.9 Bryce Bh

First off the Solcion is by FAR spinnier/grippier than any of the set ups above. It did have a "cork" type sound when you hit the ball hard or when blocking a strong shot. Chopping and pushing was far better than the above set ups. Blocking was actually exceptional as I felt very in control directing the blocks.
Speed wise it was much slower than the Bryce and the throw angle is much high as I looped quite a few balls off the table at first. The throw was also much greater than the sriver set ups.
I have to change my stroke a bit and my counter hitting/looping was not very acurate tonight.
Basically my stroke was more hit/than loop...The rubber is designed for loopers. Its so soft that the ball sinks into the rubber and you can loop and it impart lots of spin. When I dropped a gear or two down, I found that I was getting many loops on the table easily with good control on placement. When I cranked it into high gear I hit off the table far more than I do with the other set ups. Again I think it has to do with the throw angle and my bad technique :-P

The setup felt extremely light in my hand...I have yet to weigh it. I did notice that my arm was far more tired at the end of the night. This may have been due to changing my swing and using slightly different muscles.

So...did it feel like speed glued up rubber?
Well yes, when you are hitting hard.

Is it faster than unglued Bryce?
No...or rather photino+solcion was nowhere near Maze+bryce for sheer speed.

Is the control good?
Yes...Thats probably the most redeeming feature. Chopping had lots more backspin, pushing was far more controlled. Blocking was effortless and very well controlled. Heck, I landed far more backhand loops of serve than I ever did with the other set ups.

For me the negatives were my forehand in which I tended to hit more than loop. But as I switch over to looping more I believe this set up will shine.

Well there you go...

-pokerden

Sponsored Links

JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2007 at 1:24am
If you can tell, how did the Photino feel compared to the Maze and TBS?
pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2007 at 10:07am
Tough to tell the difference unless I put sriver or bryce on the photino. I think the rubber was so drastically different its hard to tell.
I can tell you it was well balance...and it was probably a bit faster than a TBS.
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2007 at 12:03pm
thanks for the review pokerden!

It just sounds like you haven't adjusted to the lighter set up yet.  I had the same issue with a really light set up at first when I changed from a heavy set up.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2007 at 10:57pm
Pokerden, you did not ask for the weight when you bought the blade ? If weight is an issue for you (like it is for me) then perhaps in the future it is better to ask for weight alternatives before you buy. Maybe you could get a blade that is 10 grams heavier.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2007 at 4:57pm
The people from Bty say that the Photino and the Solicion are products for the free glue age. Idon't know haw fast they are unglued.
Stiga has a new blade for the free glue age and for models of new rubbers.
The blade is the : Hybrid Wood - with NANO composite Technology  $81
and the rubbers are 1. Almana Sound SynergyTech  2,0/max  $32.50
                                 2. Neos Sound SynergyTech        >>       $ 30.50
                                 3. Neos SynergyTech                   >>         same
                                 4. Innova UltraLight SynergyTech >>        same
These products must glue with Aqua Energy glue 150 ml. You can't use with them ordinary speed glues, only the new type waterbased glue

Hybrid Wood - with NANO composite Technology

Hybrid Wood - with NANO composite Technology
e-pingpongshop
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 12:36am
Hi Pokerden, what is the weight of you ST Photino? my FL version is 88 grams. I want to buy the ST version if it's not heavier than the FL.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

pokerden View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 9:11pm

Probably not going to way it for awhile as I used regular chack to glue the rubber to the blade instead of speed glue.

I don't think it is actually lighter than my other setups...the balance is good. I think my change in swing is wearing out my arm a little...but at least my backhand loops have been more accurate :)
WizardOfOz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2007 at 2:58am

The Photino ST blade I received weighs 83 grams, I was told at iriuiriu.com this could vary between 83 up to 88 grams so I ordered the lightest one they had. That�s one of the coolest things about iriuiriu.com that you can ask for the weight of the blades they have and the shipping/service is excellent.

I also ordered 2 Solcion rubber sheets 2.1 both to use them on both sides, they are somehow light and the top sheet has a very elastic feel, you can easily tell the craftsmanship is excellent and durable that�s what I like about BTY stuff. (I have a lot of stuff from other brands but I have to admit BTY quality is very good).

IMO the photino blade specs from BTY are accurate, it�s an OFF+ light blade with great feel, I tried mine with Bryce FX on both sides and Cermet on both sides before using the new solcion rubber sheets.  I have a M Maze and a Kreanga Carbon blades to compare with, photino is definitely faster than the M Maze blade and very similar to the KC but with more control and feel. I have been using this new set up for only 5 days with solcion and my KC has Bryce on both sides so I�m not sure if it�s really as fast as KC but you can feel it is an OFF+ blade.

Solcion is not fast like Bryce at all, I don�t know who said that but I would probably dare to say it�s like sriver G2 FX but improved because you have better control and spin but similar speed.

If you hit the ball with the right angle /force you can hear a nice cork click sound like speed glued rubbers including a very nice control/spin, so yeah, for not having used any speed glue I think they do have some light speed glue effect integrated. (Don�t expect to feel like 3-4 layers of speed glue on Bryce FX though).

Overall BTY�s description of photino IMO it�s ok, if you are the kind of player that can generate a lot of power with your arm/body then solcion is the right choice since the control is amazing but remember it is not fast like Bryce at all, I will probably give it a 10 -10.5 speed on the BTY rating.

BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
WizardOfOz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizardOfOz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2007 at 10:24pm

In regards to the email I received about spin, control, and speed of Solcion I can tell you this.

Spin is excellent; to me the bty Solcion specs are a bit confusing because spin is only rated to 8.5?? It feels and behaves more like a 10 (little more than sriver g2 fx). It's not tacky at all, but the mechanical friction is huge, it's a soft rubber so the dwell time to grab the ball is great.

Speed might be a bit over rated by bty specs at 10.5. To me it feels more like 9.5, I know I previously said 10 - 10.5 but last night I was finally able to compare them with my other rubbers and they felt more like a 9.5 in speed.

Control is a bit tricky for me to describe with these rubbers. The bounce of the ball is different from other rubbers I had, so I was missing a lot of easy shots on the first week (either long or to the net) so I figured control was crappy. Although not very happy I decided to use them for a bit longer and now I'm getting a lot of control out of them so at the beginning they feel different but that�s ok because they ARE different! It takes some time to adjust to the kind of "straight" bounce though. I'm not sure yet if I want solcion on both sides, the BH feels awesome with solcion but for my FH I'm used to more power so I might switch back to bryce fx or something like that for my FH.

I currently don't use speed glue anymore, I got tired of it, Solcion feels a bit like a speed glued rubber but nothing like the real thing yet.

I hope this helps to clear up your doubts.... 

BTY Photino
FH Solcion 2.1
BH Solcion 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic