Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ma Lin Extra Offensive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma Lin Extra Offensive
    Posted: 06/03/2007 at 6:10am
Not sure if anyone has posted about this, but I was shopping at a big TT store in Beijing. I didn't buy anything but DHS balls, but I looked at the blades.  The store manager showed me something they just received, the Ma Lin Extra Offensive.

It was all wood, couldn't tell exactly how fast it was, but it was much faster than the korbel cs they had there, and felt more flexible and bouncy than the extra/extra 7 there as well. Front of the wood was dark, very much like the Hurricane King in the shop. I think it was five ply. Rather expensive as most yasaka goods are in China. The ML Carbon was 1180rmb there, and this blade was 980, while the gatien extra 680.

On my way out, I saw a photino there too. Nice packaging.
Sponsored Links

BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2007 at 8:41pm
It's construction is identical to Yasaka Allround 40 / Extra II, but with a slightly smaller headsize. Supposedly it is based on the current blade that Ma Lin uses, but with its weight reduced (according to information from other forums Ma Lin prefers 94g penhold blades, which is too heavy for the market. YEO is around 85g). Should cost around 50USD.
CL+H3+64
hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2007 at 8:55pm
yeah, i havent been aware that Ma not use the Ma Lin Carbon, but I noticed on a photogragh, the blade he was using got the dark wood outer ply which the Malin Carbon does not have. Kinda make sense now.
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2007 at 9:57pm
gatien extra was 680 rmb = ~81 USD? Wow! that's kinda expensive. Did you get a different blade or are you still using the Xiom?
ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2007 at 10:10pm
gatien extra is like $38usd at pingpong.com...the retail price....
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 3:16am
i wanna take a look at it if it ever reaches the states...  this is bad... i'm attracted to blades with darker outer plies, they look so pretty...  although, i'm loving the feel of my ma lin carbon with its pale outer plies
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 3:18am

i see no carbon layers...
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 3:27am
that's just the ma lin carbon handle on a special made blade for ma lin, i don't think ma lin ever used the ma lin carbon, i think he used the gatien carbon before, then yasaka basically slapped on ma lin carbon handle to the gatien carbon blade
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 3:35am
ma lin probably doesnt need carbon due to his crazy armspeed
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 3:43am
lol, there's always room for faster, but only he can tell what's the near perfect blend of speed and control in a blade for himself.  but yeah, his step around forehand loop drive is definitely devastating
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 1:50pm
i don't think many of the chinese players use carbon blades. 
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2007 at 2:13pm
Ma Lin uses yasaka allround wood (extra II) with darker outer ply and yasaka put a ma lin carbon handle on it.  This is no different than Wang Liqin using Stiga offensive CR without WRB with a DHS-WL handle.  Kong Linghui using a custom blade with one side carbon and other side wood but with the KLH special handle on it.  The bottom line is that the pros will use what they like but they will modify handle for commercial reasons.  I fall into the same trap like many others who tries to follow their players of choice when it comes to equipment but it is really in vain at times.  Probably better off getting coaching and playing in more tournaments.  Just my thoughts. 
Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2007 at 1:25am
That blade in the picture looks exactly like the Ma Lin Extra Offensive I saw in the store. I would not be surprised though if it was simply rebranded version of a previous blade as others claim, but it seemed quite faster than the extra. In any event, I did not feel compelled to purchase it despite its shiny dark exterior and Ma Lin's endorsement.

I am quite satisfied with my current blade, though Phil told me recently I should buy a much faster/ harder blade...preferably one with carbon :).
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2007 at 2:10am
it's a nice blade
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2007 at 2:26am

actually you need a die hard fan of ma lin to spend 90$+ for a blade,before i knew wang was changing the handle i tought about getting the best of worlds with a blade that i liked how it performed and other blade that i liked by its looks

i recall many years ago when my friend broke his allround blade and used the handles and glue in a offensive blade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic