Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambler Kevlar OS Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
titanium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titanium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gambler Kevlar OS Blade
    Posted: 06/10/2007 at 1:24pm
Has anyone actually played with this blade.  I know that Cole, whose opinion I respect, has said it's a gem and the blade for the modern defender, but is there anyone who has any actual playing experience with the blade?  I know that Cole was interested in letting a very good blocker play with it.  Did that ever happen?

I know the blade is rated by its manufacturer as being quite slow but with great control.  How slow is slow say compared to a Stiga All Around Classic, or the equivalent blades in the Butterfly or Donic lines?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interested in the blade and would like to find out as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 2:55pm
   This is, in  fact, my main blade. I've played with a number of other composite blades, and this one far and away (between the size, exaggerated "hock" shape, and the buttery soft Kevlar weave) has the best control.
   The dwell time is plain amazing (which to me is a staple of any defensive blade) and every sheet I've put on it has performed up to and beyond my expectations. It is much slower then my Donic Enforce -- say a 4.5 or 5 out of 10 -- as compared to my friend's Dawei Matrix (semi-stiff offensive blade) being perhaps 8, and my Donic Enforce being a 7. I'd say an All Around Classic would probably fall (based on my limited experience with it) square on a 6 for speed, maybe slightly more.
   One thing to note is that even though this blade is quite light, if you're planning on using inverted on both sides, the base 80-85g? will be increased greatly by the huge surface area.
   I'd say, for the price (hell, for anything under $70, for that matter) you will not find a comparable blade for a modern defender, particularly with LP or very thin inverted on one side to keep the weight down.

Hope this helped, if you need anything else, please ask,

- Jack87 -

[Edit] PS. I'd imagine the Carbon version would still be quite slow with the ply arrangement, if you'd like something a touch faster but still well within the defensive range.
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 3:33pm
I've had played with it (friend's blade) before. It's pretty light for an oversize blade, perhaps around 75-80grams without rubbers. My partner says that it has great control for blocking and chopping, he uses six shooter on FH and medium pips on BH. What rubbers are you planning to put on this blade?
I believe this blade is good for pips out.

titanium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titanium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 6:24pm
Thanks for the replies.  They are really helpful.  I guess the blade is pretty slow, but can you still pick hit with it?  I'm planning on trying with Gambler Six Shooter rubber 1.8 on FH 1.5 on BH.  That should not make for too heavy a setup.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2007 at 7:16pm
You can hit or loop with it fine, depending on your choice of rubber.  The only one that I would say you can only "pick hit" with is the toxic 3.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic