FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Need Advice on Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice on Equipment
    Posted: 06/13/2007 at 3:06am
I can't decide on these two choices:  Clipper (WRB or non-WRB) and Ma Lin Carbon.

Reason:  From what I read from various reviews, both seem to be balance in the power game of smashing/blocking vs. looping.

My style of play:  I used to be a hitter/blocker closed to the table, but due to my age now (slower legs and less aggresive play), I calm down and prefer to enjoy the rally through power and/or controlled looping.  But when needed, I can come back to my old style.

Current blades:  (1) Donic Persson Impulse OFF for fast powerful play, good for smashing/blocking but OK only for heavy spin looping.  (2) Andro JM Saive OFF for power/controlled loop but I find a bit lacking for smashing.  Both are all-wood blades.

My questions are:
(a) If I want to be able to do controlled loop and suddenly change my style to hard hitting, close to the table attack, which blade is more suitable?  I mean, a blade that can do both equally well (I know that the perfect one does not exist).

(b)  I read from various review that Ma Lin Carbon is fast but with good feel.  Is this true?  Does it feel more like all-wood blade? Is it equally well in term of direct hit/smashing/fast play (less spin) vs. controlled/heavy loop?

(c)  If Clipper is more suitable, which one is better:  WRB or not?  I do not consider CR because I think if it's too crisp, it is more into direct hit and have less dwell time for spinning.

(d)  If I varnish using hair-spray lightly, does it change the feel of the blade much?  Or change the dwell time?

I am very sorry for the length of my questions/explanation, but I hope that you get the big picture and can provide good advice.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 3:38am
i have never tried clipper, so i have no saying about that blade.
i'm playing with the ma lin carbon now.  maybe it's because it's my first carbon blade, but the feel is quite refreshing.  it feels a bit similar to the yasaka extra in the amount of vibration (at least my friend's old ye), but the duration of the vibration feels less.  also in the yasaka extra, the vibration feels linear, but for the ma lin carbon, when you hit hard, you can tell the carbon's working, it's kinda like a sudden jolt.  i guess that could answer questions a and b, it does have good feel for looping and definitely powerful enough for smashing imo.  as for questions c and d, i have no idea.
i'm loving my ma lin carbon, but i do wish that it vibrated a lil bit less, just a lil bit.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 3:57am
Thank you Reachie85.
ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 4:01am
I've got hairspray on both my Stiga Optimum Sync and Yasaka Advance 3D....no real noticeable change in feel...

I tried my friends Clipper CR...not enough dwell time for me...

I'm not too big a fan of carbon blade....even the Yasaka Soft Carbon...it feels even slower than Max wood...and then theres super fast carbon blades....
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2007 at 4:25am

Dear ProfessorChaos, is Yasaka Soft Carbon (how about Yasaka Carbon?) slower than your current set-up:  Advance 3D?

Yasaka's catalog states that 3D technology is supposed to make the blade faster (the flexibility causes catapult effect), however most reviewers state that 3D flexibility makes the blade slower (kind of dampening the speed).  Is this true?  Sorry, out of the topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic