Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saviga sponge and EEII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nplarkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nplarkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saviga sponge and EEII
    Posted: 06/15/2007 at 3:47pm
I was just wondering if anyone has tried EE2 on the saviga sponge, either under 999 or inspirit. If so what hardness of spong was it and how was the effect compared to speed glueing? Thanks  Wink
SUNFLEX Carbon fl/Saviga/Inspirit
Armstrong 1 ply Hinoke/999t and CJ8000 on 2.2 Cannon
Sponsored Links

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 4:44pm
I am doing it right now on 40 and 42 deg.  I don't see much doming after 2 layers of EE2.  I am planing to put more on, but I ran out of EE2.  So I will apply more coats once the new bottle arrives.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 4:47pm
I tried it on Inspirit (this was my second time trying on anything). The EEII didn't seem to work very well on this sponge. I had tried it previously on my Cream MRS, and it domed very nicely with 3 layers, but on the Saviga sponge it didn't do much, and on certain parts of the sponge it took effect more and became wavy. But it may just be that I'm not yet proficient at spreading it evenly.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 4:56pm
@ppgear

Interesting.  If you did apply and spread EE2 evenly and see varying effect on different parts of the sponge, then it might mean the density of the sponge is not uniform.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

@ppgear

Interesting.  If you did apply and spread EE2 evenly and see varying effect on different parts of the sponge, then it might mean the density of the sponge is not uniform.

But the sponge may not have been perfectly flat at the start (I don't recall though), so after spreading it evenly it may run towards the edge (it was a part on the edge that became wavy).

And the EEII dissolved some of the glue, so the topsheet was peeling off on the wavy part. Cole tells me that the glue is strong, so just make sure the EEII doesn't run between the topsheet/sponge or off the edge.

Arthur Lui
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 5:10pm
Keep EE2 from running off the edge as the sponge starts dome is very challenging.  I always treat 2 rubbers at a time and put the rubbers sponge-against-sponge under some heavy object and that seems to do the trick.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 6:38pm
I always use masking tape, to to tape it down onto a flat surface. The tape keeps it flat, and also stops it's running off the edges. Works very well!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 6:42pm
Good idea.  I'll try masking tape in my next treatment.  Thanks.
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 11:01pm
didnt the EE2 come with brush or some sorta applicator?

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2007 at 11:42pm
It comes with a very small brush, not very useful. I use my fingers to spread it more evenly.

Arthur Lui
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2007 at 12:30am
I used EE2 on a 40 degree with XP Pro topsheet. It took more coats of ee2 than the average sponge and made less of a dome. The effect didn't last long either, maybe 2-3 weeks. I am actually experimenting with EE2 vs mineral oil right now. Applied 3 coats of each to a pair of 35 degree 729 Reactor sponges coupled with XP Pro topsheets. Both are doming nicely, it is just taking a little extra time for the mineral oil to dry. Once it does, I will compare the effects of both liquids and it's longevity. 
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2007 at 12:56am
Interesting.  I am going to get some mineral oil from the local hardware store to experiement with...
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2007 at 12:17am
It took me about 5 layers of EEII to get a pretty good dome on my 40 degree Cannon sponge, but it did make it a quicker setup when I applied it to the blade.  Did'nt add a heck of alot of spin.  I suspect that the Dawei sponges seem to not take the EEII in very quickly.  As this also happened with a sheet of XP Pro 2008.
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2007 at 1:11am
It took 5 layers and two days to get Saviga 44 degree to dome. The dome was huge. You got to use only moderate coats as the stuff will simply nuke the topsheet if it ever touches it. EE II has different effects on each rubber and seems to give the BTY stuff the best boost. BTY rubbers seem to be really lame without sponge treatment, then turn into the Tazmanian Devil afterwards. Saying, "Maybe I am not in an advanced TT country and I get low quality batches" = Let's rumble.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Madbrazilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madbrazilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 12:59am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Saying, "Maybe I am not in an advanced TT country and I get low quality batches" = Let's rumble.

LOL.

I tried putting EEII on cermet and I really wasn't impressed. Kinda felt like normal cermet. Back then though, I hadn't really gotten the process down and I still haven't. Can people share how they apply the EEII and how they leave their rubbers?

personally, I just put a coat and leave the rubber on the table. I wait until it all dries and put some more. Once I'm satisfied with the dome, I glue it.

So far, my effects really haven't been that impressive even in the domes were huge.
Killerspin Diamond TX ST
Killerspin Forza 4z 2.1 both sides
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic