Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inquiring Kennie: ML Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inquiring Kennie: ML Carbon
    Posted: 06/19/2007 at 10:54pm
Dear Kennie,

Reading the forum, I know that you are very familiar with Yasaka Malin Carbon.  Currently I can't decide between ML Carbon vs. Timo Boll Spirit.  I never use carbon before and so far I love the feeling of all-wood.  I want to try faster blade with carbon but still want to have the feeling and control of an all-wood blade.  My questions are:

1.  Is it easy to adjust from all wood to MLC?  Is it good for flat hitting/smashing play and also good for heavy spin looping play? (usually this is a trade-off).

2.  Is ML Soft Carbon considerably slower than MLC?

3.  TBS (Carbon/Arylate) receives great reviews as well.  How is MLC compared to TBS in term of speed, control, ease of looping, and feel?

4.  One reviewer states that MLC is great but to generate good speed, one has to swing hard.  Is this true?

Thank you for your kind attention and assistance.
Sponsored Links

ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2007 at 11:19pm
why not stick with all-wood?  just because its faster doesn't mean carbon is for everyone...

you could for one try a superfast wood blade....ala avalox 777 blue thunder or yasaka max wood...or stiga clipper wood...
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2007 at 11:27pm
i would reccommend you get a blade that is either arylate-carbon or aramid carbon andro has an aramid carbon blade that plays beautifully feeling,speed,controll has compact head and weighs 85gms.you can see more info at www.andro.de  
Timemaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2007 at 11:44pm
In the all-wood category, I'd strongly suggest the yasaka leopard ! It's just amazing ! Quite heavy though...

I know it's not what you asked, but I couldn't resist :p
Kennie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 3:52am

ma lin carbon is one of the carbon blades i have tried which has the best wood feeling, it still has the great feeeling of extra, etc. but its very fast and has good sweetspot.

ma lin soft carbon, which i use is a little bit softer so i think it has more control and even better feeling, the outer ply is a little bit darker than MLC and not so hard. but i find them in speed the same. compared with tbs i think MLC and soft carbon has better feeling, for speed i think they are quite similar but i think MLC and soft carbon has bigger sweetspot and i found them more stable.

Blade: YASAKA Ma Lin Soft Carbon
Fh: YASAKA PRYDE
Bh: YASAKA Xtend HS
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 5:07am
Dear Kennie,

Thank you for the inputs.  I will certainly get MLC from the nearby store I frequently visit.  Their stocks will arrive either late June or early July.  Too bad they don't stock ML Soft Carbon so that I can't compare both of them.

Thank you very much.
chornyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chornyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 7:23am
Kennie, I would like to ask you too: your board made in Sweden or Japan? How do they differ? Thank you.
Nittaku Septear
FH: Butterfly Bryce 2.1
BH: Butterfly Bryce FX 1.9
Kennie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 8:44am

you mean blades made in sweden or japan?

chornyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chornyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:19pm
I would like to ask you where was your blade made? What is the difference between the version made in Sweden and the version made in Japan?
Nittaku Septear
FH: Butterfly Bryce 2.1
BH: Butterfly Bryce FX 1.9
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:31pm
i wonder how much difference is there between the swedish made and the japanese made.  i have the sweden blade or so it says on the package.  i do think the japanese one look prettier with the top badge and the jttaa carving on the side though
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
Kennie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:35pm
no problem.Wink
all yasaka blades (except a few japanese not famous blades) are made in sweden in one factory. so the quality is very high on all blades, the people working in the factory has long experience of blades production, the best table tennis blades have been produced in this town since the 70�s.
im not so familiar with japanese produced blades but i know many top players trust in swedish blades because of the long experience producers have and because of the typical swedish blade feeling that many of yasaka blades have, even the newer ones with carbon.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 8:11pm
Wow, I just know that there are Yasaka's blades made in Japan.  I thought that they all come from Sweden.  Are there 2 versions of MLC, Japan-made and Swedish-made?

Kennie, you like Yasaka's products, I am just curious since you are from Sweden, do you like Stiga's products also?
Kennie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 8:21am
no, all yasaka blades are made in sweden except of a few not so well known blades that are made in japan, mostly J-pen blades.

So every single yasaka ma lin, extra, gatien, etc. are made in sweden in one factory, so there�s no different versions of the blades, all are made at the same place in Sweden. personally i prefer yasaka blades and rubbers above all others.  but i also like donic blades that also are made in sweden, they have similar characteristics to the yasaka blades.

i dont like stiga, i havent tried so much but i feel yasaka and donic blades are of higher quality.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 10:34am
Kennie, just curious, which Donic is your favorite?  I used one before, Persson Impulse OFF.  I think it's OK.
Kennie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 3:16pm
as i like carbon blades but with the typical wood feeling i like the waldner carbon most, its quite similar to ma lin carbon. its five ply wood and two thin carbon layers which makes the blade quite fast but still has good feeling and not to stiff. its the one waldner is using.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 8:12pm
I believe it's waldner carbon senso (v1/v2?).  What I like about Donic is that the price is very reasonable for such a high quality blade.  Significantly lower than prices of Kreanga Carbon, Ishlion, TBS, etc.
Anyway, thank you for your kind assistance and information.
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 11:45pm
Hi doraemon (ting tong???), just to answer you question, the soft carbon is not much slower than the regular carbon. In fact its even hard to tell the difference. One thing I can tell is that the top ply is different. and a bit lighter. if you wanna stick with all wood just go with the Extra.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic