Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Know your wood types?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know your wood types?
    Posted: 06/29/2007 at 2:48am
Hi, I'm looking for someone who knows thier wood types. I just bought an old Double Happiness penhold paddle at a yard sale and the guy told me it was from the early 80's (back when every one played ping pong.)

I removed the rubber (completely dead, probably good antispin though) and after sanding the galons of glue off it (before there was such a thing as speed glue) it turned out the wood was really nice. Pretty light, but compared to hinoki and carbon it seems much harder, pretty thick grains also.

Is there any one who is a collector or a paddle know-it-all that could give me some specs for the model G-1835? It's 5 plies, but i have no idea what kind of wood they used to put in chinese penhold paddles in the 80's!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links

Kupus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kupus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 5:39am
Yes, thats a good qestion, a wood types issue is interesting and i  to need a little help on this matter.
if someone can tell me what is the wood layer in the middle of Primorac carbon(beatween carbon layers) and there is one more question, does anybody know anything about TSP CITO FITTER OFF blade i mean its hard to find and it seams that its discontinued,also maybe some information about wood layers of this blade?Thanks in advanceThumbs%20Up!
If you are wondering why im asking i have a friend that builds his own rackets(they are realy good) and he owns this TSP CITO fitter OFF and the racket is wooooow, but he cant seem to find another to buy so im hellping in these matter!
TSP Cito Fitter OFF AN
FH Skyline TG3 2.15 + CTE
BH Speedy spin max + CTE
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 7:14am
Hi, I also have one DHS penhold 5-ply which I bought earlier than 1967. It was a premade and it has no type or serial number. The blade is in perfect condition, but I have never tried it at this moment. Perhaps I should give it a try.
I still have also a Rex, which is even older than my DHS.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 7:55am
Those old Chinese blades are absolute gold, don't worry too much about the wood as much as the feel of those old buggers. If only I had saved my old man's paddle...
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 8:13am
hey kupus www.vrocosport.nl has some cito fitter off left on sale for about $19us if you dont mind straight grip and high shipping fees.ad yes they were discontinued
Kupus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kupus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 9:43am
Thanks guys for replys, anyone know that about midle wood layer of PrimCarb
TSP Cito Fitter OFF AN
FH Skyline TG3 2.15 + CTE
BH Speedy spin max + CTE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 11:33am
So, TT_Freak, do you know anything about the feel of old paddles? They feel pretty hard, but I'm not too sure. Most of the offensive paddles these days are soft with some kind of carbon or kevlar, to compensate for harder rubbers. But back then, it was just wood, so maybe they went for a harder feel... I'm not sure....
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 5:23pm
the center ply of primorac carbon is 'tong mu' - sorry i only know the name of this wood in chinese and not in english.
CL+H3+64
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 5:25pm
back then everything was pips out so they needed harder blades to get speed.
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 12:51am
Kim Taek Soo - you got that avatar pic off me! :)
Instinct 5ply
RITC 2000 1.8mm
stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 1:07am
Is yours DHS 08 or 032?? The old ones is even worth more than BTY Hinoki special made in china.
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 3:20am
Paulownia wood, I think, also goes by other name for primorac/schlager etc carbon if you do a search through the archieves.

old DHS racquet probably made of basswood. don't know G-1835, but 032 was 5-ply and 08 7-ply right? anyone knows anything about 016?

K_T_S, how about posting some pictures for people to look at the wood?
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 3:52am
dont let go of any blade before 1985!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are priceless!!
Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 8:43am
Honestly they have a similar feel to the Violin, except (typically) varnished. You could literally feel every single hit without any residual vibration.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 10:55am
Originally posted by kmh888 kmh888 wrote:

dont let go of any blade before 1985!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are priceless!!

But my DHS and Rex are all premade, so I assume that the quality would not be exceptional. I keep them just for the old time's sake.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 2:12pm
I once Emailed to Nittaku through their website asking for Acoustic wood type, I'm still waiting for their response...Unless it's a protected secret, they didn't bother answering me. If any one among you has this info for me I'd be much grateful.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 4:31pm
I don't think this one was premade though. It had green rubber on one side (i mean actually green, not just from age) and the other side was black, so who ever glued it didn't know about the 2 colours rule. (And also put way too much glue.) The rubber is pretty authentic, but it was cut by hand, with jagged edges. It's varnished, front and back, so you can feel everything.
A guy at my club actually offered me money for it! I think i'll hold onto it though.
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 9:40pm
On which part of the blade it is written G1835 ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 8:41am
I've had two old blades both were from Cor Du Buy. I think they're made by stiga

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 12:27pm
It says G 1835 on the bottom of the handle, where there is ussually a metal crest that says the brand name.
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2007 at 5:46pm
Then yours is not a premade. Congratulations.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 12:41am

Woot! I'll bet it's worth a good amount of cash then....

Thanks to everyone for insight and info!
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 2:52am

mapple wood was used in that blades in the 80's, pretty hard and consistent for attack
culvch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culvch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 3:42am
kim taek soo,

The G 1835 are those premade blade. During the 80s, there was no rule on the red/black color. In fact for pip out, the color of the rubber is blue. I'm not sure what type of wood it is made off but it is quite a heavy and stiff wood.

For those better quality made blade, they will name it PF4 and those are the ones used by the Chinese National Team at that time.

I was told by someone reputable that during the 80s the Chinese Team knew that they will be loosing to the European style of play especially the Swedish player of Jan Ove Waldner and Jorgen Persson. Their pip out rubber together with the heavy Chinese blade is too slow to counter the European lighter and double looping (forehand and backhand) with pip in rubber play.

During that time, the Chinese Team decided to innovate by using a lighter blade to match the speed of the game and they signed up with Avalox (Swedish blade). As such the Chinese National Team has been using the Avalox blade from late 80s to the 90s before the current National players signed up with various brands and before Stiga became the supplier of the Chinese National Team.

I think you can get those PF4 032 blade from presports.com as I saw them posted at their site recently. I believe those blades are left overs if not from the 80s and they are really very solid wood.

CUL
STW 1Ply Hinoki C Pen
FH DHS PF4-50 (Red)
BH RITC 802-40 (Black)

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

mapple wood was used in that blades in the 80's, pretty hard and consistent for attack

Yep, this is correct.  Maple.  My '78 dhs pf4 is maple.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2007 at 7:31pm
Thanks again to everyone, for usefull information!
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic