Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looping rubber, gripiness etc etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looping rubber, gripiness etc etc
    Posted: 07/02/2007 at 9:22am
i've been reading reviews all over the internet about rubbers good for looping at far/mid distance, euro type looping. currently i use tackyfire sp on both wings, speed glued. i like them, but sometimes i find it hard to keep the ball on the table. i need to replace them, but i don't play tt for a long time, so i need some advice.
tf sp has an almost tacky topsheet, and a hard sponge, i'm looking for a non tacky rubber, but very grippy too, but somewhat faster and softer. i've been reading that sriver L is a great looping rubber, and sriver g2 also, wich one is grippier? i know that g2 is a lot faster, because it's a tensor, but wich one is softer? and what abou cermet? i've also been thinking about tibhar's torpedo, it seems like a very good rubber for my game... althoug i'm an alround atacker, 75% of my game is based on looping and blocking actively.
any advice? (i don't intend to replace my blade, i love the optimum sync)
thanks!
Sponsored Links

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 10:30am
Nittaku Nodias
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 11:37am
Inspirit Quattro 35 or 40 degree @ colestt.com should do the trick, and for a lot less dough.

- Jack -
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
DenHondequin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenHondequin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 11:43am

Torpedo Soft, Bryce Fx

TTC Atelia Gent
Table Tennis Club Atelia Ghent - Belgium
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 11:56am
Originally posted by humint humint wrote:

i use tackyfire sp on both wings, speed glued. (...) but sometimes i find it hard to keep the ball on the table. (...) but i don't play tt for a long time, so i need some advice.
thanks!

This is a very bad setup for a beginner. No speed glue, slow allround blade, classic standard 2.0-2.2mm rubber like Sriver, Donic Vario, Stiga Mendo. No tensor rubbers. By the way, G2 is not considered a tensor because it doesn't have a tensor sponge.
Stiga makes good blades, but the Optimum Synch is much too hard for your needs at the moment. Stiga Allround Classic is much better or Donic Appelgren Allplay.
The fact that you don't get the ball on the table has nothing to do with the rubber, setup or whatsoever, it's only your missing technical basic skills. This is totally normal. The above equipment recommendations are more or less universally considered the best setup for learning a decent topspin technique. It's not easy to play topspin with this setup, but this is exactly the reason why it's so good for learning Wink
DenHondequin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenHondequin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 12:12pm
You should give more information about your style, skills, ...
What are your strong points, the weak ones ...

And then we can try to give you a good setup to improve
TTC Atelia Gent
Table Tennis Club Atelia Ghent - Belgium
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

Originally posted by humint humint wrote:

i use tackyfire sp on both wings, speed glued. (...) but sometimes i find it hard to keep the ball on the table. (...) but i don't play tt for a long time, so i need some advice.
thanks!

This is a very bad setup for a beginner. No speed glue, slow allround blade, classic standard 2.0-2.2mm rubber like Sriver, Donic Vario, Stiga Mendo. No tensor rubbers. By the way, G2 is not considered a tensor because it doesn't have a tensor sponge.
Stiga makes good blades, but the Optimum Synch is much too hard for your needs at the moment. Stiga Allround Classic is much better or Donic Appelgren Allplay.
The fact that you don't get the ball on the table has nothing to do with the rubber, setup or whatsoever, it's only your missing technical basic skills. This is totally normal. The above equipment recommendations are more or less universally considered the best setup for learning a decent topspin technique. It's not easy to play topspin with this setup, but this is exactly the reason why it's so good for learning Wink

maybe i didn't explain my situation properly. i've been playing tt and coached for 6 years now, but never really got interested in competing. my first set up was kenny pro and flextra. then i moved to yasaka mark V in a andrej grubba blade, and althoug this is the first year i'm competing, i've always been able to beat most of the competing players form the club where i've been training. in terms of technique my setup is suitable for me, i can control it fine, i have good spinny serves (pendulum, reverse pendulum, and backhand serves), i'm a good looper, specially slow and very spinny loops (my loop drive is nothing special, but it's not bad either), i'm a good blocker too, specially with my backhand. and i disagree when you say that the optimum sync is too hard, i feel it has just the perfetc ration between stifness and vibration, i love this blade. the reason i posted this topic is simply that i'm not really well informed about rubbers' caracteristics, because i never really spent time trying or reading reviews about themWink
humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 12:30pm
i forgot to mention, and it maybe important, i'm a good player near the table, but i'm also consistent form far-mid distance. my serves also allow me to be a pretty good 3rd ball atacker. there is no special skill that i can point out, but i can say securely that i'm a good alround atacker.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic