FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Grippy tacky and sticky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grippy tacky and sticky
    Posted: 08/01/2007 at 12:41pm
I know one of them has a frictional topheet and other has sticky topsheet... I am little confused.  Can someone help me out?

Thx.
Sponsored Links

humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2007 at 1:00pm
a tacky rubber has a sticky topsheet, wich enables you to put spin on a ball just by brushing it.
a grippy rubber has a frictional topsheet; it's not sticky, so the ball has to get deep into the sponge so that you get spin on it, and i think that's why the euro-jap rubbers are a lot softer than the chinese ones, if an euro-jap rubber had a super hard sponge, it would be very difficult to put spin on your shots.
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 2:58am
Originally posted by humint humint wrote:

a tacky rubber has a sticky topsheet, wich enables you to put spin on a ball just by brushing it.
a grippy rubber has a frictional topsheet; it's not sticky, so the ball has to get deep into the sponge so that you get spin on it, and i think that's why the euro-jap rubbers are a lot softer than the chinese ones, if an euro-jap rubber had a super hard sponge, it would be very difficult to put spin on your shots.

So how would a sticky/tacky  chinese rubber play with a soft sponge?
Would this give it double the characteristics and make it more versatile and give it more gears?

ps But don't you get sticky and tacky rubbers?, so what is the difference?
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 3:33am
I use European type rubbers, and I brush the ball very lightly, but fast and get lots of spin as well.

Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 3:49am
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

I use European type rubbers, and I brush the ball very lightly, but fast and get lots of spin as well.

Thats interesting rob, i'll assume you are using Inspirits due to your avatar, i have bought a couple of Inspirits to try, i don't know if i need to treat them 1st ( but i won't use speed glue) or do i prime them a couple of times or what? What kind of blade would suit them?
I didn't think you could use brush strokes with them as they aren't meant to be tacky are they?

Any advice would be gratefull appreciated as i am really trying to improve my lphysically limited game and improve my knowledge base to help.
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 4:15am
I was using Inspirits, I likes the 39 - 40 degree version, I have changed back to plasma on a galaxy M-6 Blade.

The Inspirits perform the best when they are primed, and speed glued.

If you prime them the night before, with at least 2 generous coats of speed glue, then glue them again the next day you will find they perform much better.

Initially they are a little tacky, due to the plastic protection sheet that comes with them, it tend to slow them down at first. When this Tackyness wears off, they are much faster.

I used to use mine on a Andro Supercore OFF & an Andro CF Carbo Aramid, just got sick of gluing. Now I'm waiting for my Inspirit Quattro's to arrive.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 4:20am

I was using Inspirits, I likes the 39 - 40 degree version, I have changed back to plasma on a galaxy M-6 Blade.

The Inspirits perform the best when they are primed, and speed glued.

If you prime them the night before, with at least 2 generous coats of speed glue, then glue them again the next day you will find they perform much better.

Initially they are a little tacky, due to the plastic protection sheet that comes with them, it tend to slow them down at first. When this Tackyness wears off, they are much faster.

I used to use mine on a Andro Supercore OFF & an Andro CF Carbo Aramid, just got sick of gluing. Now I'm waiting for my Inspirit Quattro's to arrive.

Thanks, so do you think icould i use them by priming with a couple of layers of ordinary glue and using off- to off blade only?
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 4:59am
Of course you can, it all depends what you want from your rubbers.

I would prime them with the sticky plastic sheet removed, in this way you will get a bit of stretch on them.

mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 5:55am

Of course you can, it all depends what you want from your rubbers.

I would prime them with the sticky plastic sheet removed, in this way you will get a bit of stretch on them.

Thanks, just control, speed and spin - thats table tennis heaven to me.

I am using Tischtennis Klebstoff, how many layers would be ideal for priming them?

I take it that the Inspirit Quattro doesn't need speedglue then!?

Do you know, i have become a bit of an EJ in trying to find the right rubbers for me and the thing that gets my goat the most is buying something that you think is ok, then finding out after that it is not so  good unless it is speedglued 
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

humint View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 7:07am
Originally posted by mozzy mozzy wrote:

Originally posted by humint humint wrote:

So how would a sticky/tacky  chinese rubber play with a soft sponge?
Would this give it double the characteristics and make it more versatile and give it more gears?

ps But don't you get sticky and tacky rubbers?, so what is the difference?

i think that sticky and tacky are synonims. if you put a very sticky topsheet on a soft sponge, the result would be a very very very slow rubber, because the ball would have great difficulties on leaving the topsheet due to the enormous and exagerated dwell time. even if you use lots of speed glue it would be very difficult to get a playable rubber.

of course it is also so possible to brush the ball with euro-jap rubbers, but the great advantage of them is that the faster the ball comes, the more it sinks in the sponge, the spinnier it gets, so ---� more control.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 11:52am

Do you know, i have become a bit of an EJ in trying to find the right rubbers for me and the thing that gets my goat the most is buying something that you think is ok, then finding out after that it is not so  good unless it is speedglued 

Don't Worry, i was once the same - Table Tennis is like that, you keep searching until you find one that suits your style. 

And one more thing - one of the top Juniors in Australia Once told me that if you Speedglue any rubber to the max, they all feel the same. I mean like 100ml of glue per sheet

My advise to you is quit the speedglue (yes it does feel good), and learn to play without. It will make you a better player for when the glue ban comes in. It will also save you lots of money.

mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 3:51pm

Don't Worry, i was once the same - Table Tennis is like that, you keep searching until you find one that suits your style. 

And one more thing - one of the top Juniors in Australia Once told me that if you Speedglue any rubber to the max, they all feel the same. I mean like 100ml of glue per sheet

My advise to you is quit the speedglue (yes it does feel good), and learn to play without. It will make you a better player for when the glue ban comes in. It will also save you lots of money.

Too right, as i said earlier, i don't want the bother of going down the s/g route and wiping out the lining of my lungs into the equation.

I was going to offload the Inspirits, but i'll bow to your greater prowess and try them, could give me good control on my b/h, if it is soft enough, but if you say you can get a brush stroke technique out of them, then they may just be slightly more versatile than a chinese tacky for my f/h as well, maybe an extra gear or 2.

Thanks for all of your generous advice, it has been great "talking" with you, from one rob to another - i wish you good hitting mate. Wink
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 7:54pm
I would advice anyone in the early learning stages of TableTennis to stay far away from speedglue. If you have speedglued your rubbers, they will be much more forgiving when you perform strokes. This will of course help you hit some more balls on the table than without, BUT, your technique will become seriously flawed, since you've never had to perform correct strokes to hit the ball on the table.  And once you start reaching higher levels of play, now relying on speedglue to make or break your game, you will have some serious difficulties against players with good technique. (because most of them will now have started speedglueing too, AFTER having gotten the technique under control).
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 9:00pm
Glue is going, going, gone!

Rustyfo is using a sticky rubber on his FH and a grippy rubber on his BH!

I use the same; however, my BH is a pip rubber. :-). Still, it's very grippy.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 9:03pm
I think Humint summed it up.

I'll comment . . . Many Euro rubber users complain that the Chinese sheets aren't soft enough. I think they are comparing to what they are used to . . . soft sponges to help create the spin. The sticky topsheets do not require the soft sponges; however, softer sponges with sticky topsheets will often increase the control.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2007 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by rustyfo rustyfo wrote:

I would advice anyone in the early learning stages of TableTennis to stay far away from speedglue. If you have speedglued your rubbers, they will be much more forgiving when you perform strokes. This will of course help you hit some more balls on the table than without, BUT, your technique will become seriously flawed, since you've never had to perform correct strokes to hit the ball on the table.  And once you start reaching higher levels of play, now relying on speedglue to make or break your game, you will have some serious difficulties against players with good technique. (because most of them will now have started speedglueing too, AFTER having gotten the technique under control).

VERY GOOD ADVISE - I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic