tabletennis11.com

Super Priming and gluing guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Priming and gluing guide
    Posted: 08/05/2007 at 2:52am
For anyone that might be interested, a friend (LawOCG, known as 'penguin' on this forum) and myself wrote a gluing guide, particularly on how to prime to get the most out of your rubbers. The article is here:

Super Priming and gluing guide

Result have been quite impressive. Any comments very much appreciated.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2007 at 4:29am
Haggisv and penguin. Thanks a mill. Your contribution to the forum is ,as always, priceless.
I'm just curious about the fact you didn't mention EEII. Is that on purpose or do you undertake it's been discussed many times before...??
Also, would do recommend any of your gluing technics to the tensor type rubbers ?
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2007 at 6:29am
Thanks you jcdi, although penguin deserves more of the credit for this guide than I do.

We've been treating the EEII as a seperate case, but I'm sure it could easily be combined or made part of this procedure. As you're probably aware, the EEII enhances speed glue effect as well as expanding the sponge, so it could perhaps be used as an alternative to some of the steps used in the Super Priming. Similarly I've been looking at the Falco glue. These are both discussed in details on the same site and forum.

I'm sure priming enhances the tensor type rubbers too, but great care needs to be taken not to stretch the sheets too much. I have no doubt that a few layers of glue enhances every rubber's performance.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
HKdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2007 at 7:45am

Hey Haggisv, one quetion: why dont you need varnish for hinoki?

Thnks

There are no stupid questions; only stupid people... I'm probably not referring to you
penguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2007 at 10:50am
Generally hinoki is quite a physically tough wood (in terms of TT). Its fibers are quite condensed and there are no gaps. Hinoki is much less prone to splintering and rarely ever does it need sealing.

The only time I would recommend sealing it is when the Hinoki ply is extremely thin. Eg on some galaxy blades especially the T series, it can be quite thin. So its better to take a precaution with those and seal them.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2007 at 5:40am
A very detailed and very interesting guide.

I wonder glass plating a pips rubber, will it work?

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2007 at 7:04am
For long pips it will have an effect, but it's nowhere as significant as for an inverted rubber, coz the sponge is just too thin. I speed glued my long pips before, but did not see any significant benefit....

For short pips it should work fine...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
sunnyloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2007 at 10:38am

I use a small glass plate to cover the rubber with speed glue. In addition, I also use a one-gallon zip bag to complete seal the glass plate with the rubber on it for about 10 minutes. It traps all the VOC inside for maximum effect in a single layer.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2007 at 7:49pm
Yes that is an effective way of speed gluing, but the method described here is for treating a rubber to give it a 'permanent' effect.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2007 at 9:50pm
I'd be careful with such a guide haggisv. What you're basically doing is glueing the heck out of the sponge and thus effectively destroying some of it.
This may be good for *some* hard sponges, but it surely isn't good for a plasma ....
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2007 at 5:24am
TongueAnyway it's prolly not a good idea to muck around with plasma, bryce and F1.

Better of using it on the harder sponged rubbers

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2007 at 8:04am
Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

I'd be careful with such a guide haggisv. What you're basically doing is glueing the heck out of the sponge and thus effectively destroying some of it.
This may be good for *some* hard sponges, but it surely isn't good for a plasma ....

Yes I totally agree it's not to be used on a tensor type rubber like Plasma, I sort of assumed that people know this, but it's probably worth pointing out in the guide I guess.

It is most beneficial for chinese style rubbers as they are often harder abd stiffer, especially straight out of the packet.

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: I've added a warning in the article.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic