Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waldner Dotec Hinoki

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waldner Dotec Hinoki
    Posted: 08/30/2007 at 12:21pm
I received a new catalog in the mail yesterday from American Table Tennis, and the new Waldner Dotec Hinoki blade caught my eye. The blade looks very nice but expensive ($121 USD - why is it that the most expensive blades always look the most interesting to me? Wink)

I haven't seen a blade with a Dotec handle in person, and I was curious why the blade is sold in two different versions for right-handed and left-handed players. I can tell from the picture that the handle is not symmetrical, but I would think that a left-handed player could simply flip the blade over to use the same model as a right-handed player.

Am I missing something about the Dotec handles? I'm curious about the Dotec handles because I recently noticed a callus developing on my thumb from where it rubs against the top edge of the handle on my TBS blade. I was wondering if the Dotec handles are really as ergonomic and comfortable as Donic advertises.

thanks for any information!

Description from the web site 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waldner Dotec Hinoki blade consists of a specially-glued combination of three hinoki plies.

The thicker hinoki inner ply provides the necessary rigidity and speed, whereas the thinner hinoki outer plies give exceptional control when returning the ball. The fine, but hard, plies give the blade its exceptional speed, with good control and exceptional feel.
It is suitable for combining many different strokes, which is why it is named after Waldner- who plays the most - varied game of anyone! The Dotec handle guarantees extraordinary comfort and feel.

Speed: 94
Control: 87
Weight: 90
Ply: 5+2

Sponsored Links

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2007 at 12:24pm
I did NOT like a hadles on DOTEC blades !!! I used to owned Waldner AL left hand. I think in my opinion this is only for looping made blade, as I find it was very hard for me to do flips, chop, pushes etc....
loopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2007 at 7:15pm

I dont agree completely with melarimsa. It is abit more difficult to do more mechanical spin shots yes. It does suit a looper better but the comfort factor slightly outweighs the lack of flipping ability. I dont think that it haampers chopping as much though.

The right vs left handed is a slight difference in the thickness on the FH side and the BH side of the cork handle. It makes the handle fit the palm of the hand better.

I also liked the smoothness around the bottom of the blade. It may help with the thumb problem.

Last but not least! all Donic goods are very expensive. They are very proud of there product. You get what you pay for most of the time with Donic.

No, I do not work for Donic. If you wondering.Wink

Blade:729 Bomb from colestt.com
FH:H3/Quattro 2.3 from colestt.com
BH: Geospin Tacky 2.0 from colestt.com
Loopers still rule(but learning to play choppers better)
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2007 at 3:03am
Originally posted by timd timd wrote:

The blade looks very nice but expensive ($121 USD - why is it that the most expensive blades always look the most interesting to me? Wink)

That is because there is some kind of desease in your eyes (like mineSmile). So we have the same desease, or should we call it a talent to always turn to expensive blades Wink?
Regarding your TBS, just use some sandpaper and the problem will be finished.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

loopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2007 at 3:09pm
Is you thumb rubbing the slight edge on the top or side of the handle. Or is the finish on the beveled part rough textured.
Both of them can be taken care of with sandpaper as aeoliah states.
Be careful if you sand the actual blade though. Would not want to damage that part by taking off too much material or exposing carbon fibers(that could end up givig you a nasty carbon sliver if you aren't carefulYing%20Yang
loopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2007 at 3:11pm
And I think most TT players have the same affliction of falling in love with the highest price tag. OR IT COULD BE JUST US EJs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic