Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

prevention of splintering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mcping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prevention of splintering
    Posted: 09/18/2007 at 1:00pm
 how do you do this , especially with stiga blades?
Sponsored Links

loopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2007 at 3:47pm
SEAL YOUR BLADE!!
3 coats of varnish.
Blade:729 Bomb from colestt.com
FH:H3/Quattro 2.3 from colestt.com
BH: Geospin Tacky 2.0 from colestt.com
Loopers still rule(but learning to play choppers better)
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2007 at 4:07pm
no way!!!!!!!
one thin coat or you will mess up the natural resilance of the wood unless you want to harden the blade
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2007 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by mcping mcping wrote:

how do you do this , especially with stiga blades?

The long way, search and find the thread posted by tommyzai.  He posted detailed instructions on how to do it.

The short way, just buy a can of polyurethane or sanding sealer and start  to seal/paint your blade with a very thin coat.
aXis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aXis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2007 at 1:10pm
hairspray Big%20smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2007 at 3:43pm
Please search my thread. Varathane is the way to go!!
You have to use one solid coat, but it's better to do it in three steps (rubbing it in and wiping off excess). However, you can make the blade faster by oversealing. Some like this; some don't. :-).
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
penguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2007 at 1:57am
I experimented with a Off wrb and dunked it in varnish for 2 days. I took it out, let it dry and finished it off with sanding. no vibration anymore plus its faster, stiffer. Weight maybe up 2 grams
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2007 at 12:57pm
Penguin, you are on the money!! I put about 5 light coats on mine and it's GREAT!!! The Stiga blades cry out for Varathane.
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2007 at 4:13pm
i put a shamada cpen in a bowl of polyurathane for 3 days and the entire blade was soaked to the core it is very springy and has an amazing outer finish
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2007 at 12:21am
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

i put a shamada cpen in a bowl of polyurathane for 3 days and the entire blade was soaked to the core it is very springy and has an amazing outer finish

Were you able to glue rubbers on it?  LOL
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2007 at 12:37am
Wawa . . . if you don't mind, I'll answer:

YES you can glue or glue sheet rubbers to blades sealed with Polyurathane and when you try to remove it's magical . . .the rubbers come off without pulling pieces of your blade with it!
mece View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2007 at 12:40am
I'd have to declare Tommy the sealing pro of the year LOL
when sealing blade, one has to wipe it on and off. It's just enough to cover the wood veins. Although you cannot feel the coat you put on the blade, it's actually sealed.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2007 at 12:42am
Thanks Mece,
I'll seal anything!! Right now my g/f is nagging me to stop posting. I'm thinking of triple sealing her lips shut, but that would present problems later in the evening! :-).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2007 at 12:58am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Wawa . . . if you don't mind, I'll answer:

YES you can glue or glue sheet rubbers to blades sealed with Polyurathane and when you try to remove it's magical . . .the rubbers come off without pulling pieces of your blade with it!

Oh well.  My question had a hint of satiric intent.  It wasn't really a question.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic