tabletennis11.com

What is the best CONTROL rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best CONTROL rubber?
    Posted: 09/22/2007 at 11:15pm
Best Jap/Euro?
Best Chinese?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2007 at 12:57am
I tried Dr.Neubauer Domination, and found out the best control rubber I have ever used. I think it is a Euro rubber. I have tried Joola Drum CWX - like that too. I'm not that satisfied by Butterfly. I have ordered a custom Chinese rubber from Coles which I have to try and find out.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2007 at 3:00am
jo waldner, very safe
thenam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2007 at 4:47am
Champion Khan
Butterfly Flextra
Nittaku Graffiti
Darker Speed90 10mm (Jpen) Butterfly Kreanga Carbon (ST)
FH - Yasaka V-Stage (max)     FH - Butterfly Bryce Speed (2.1)
BH - Yasaka V-Stage (2.0)      BH - Tibhar Nimbus (max)
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2007 at 8:10am
geo spin tacky is VERY good, 1.5mm i can control my fh shots, very good for blocking, but u need active movement in the block or counter, unlike say bryce, where u just stick ur bat out and the ball jumps.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 3:05pm
for forehand or backhand?
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 3:25pm
999 has more control than H3 for sure
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
TTReactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTReactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by O! Ju Qian O! Ju Qian wrote:

999 has more control than H3 for sure
I agree, but this is my opinion on it.

Also if never, try a: Reactor Corbor or Reactor Novar (both are lighter than H3 and both have better control, maybe even 999 but...)
Exclusive Table Tennis Gear & Official Distributor
http://www.TTReactor.homestead.com
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 3:40pm

Control?

That would be my favorite chinese rubber ... lkt torrent egs.

Predictable, accurate, forgiving. you can hit any spot on the board :)

it's not a speed demon, among the offensive rubbers... so you need a off or off+ blade.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 6:49pm

It would be good to know what you're looking for -- if you're looking to control loop, block, chop, etc... -- because I'd recommend 3 different things. This coming from you, Tzai, of course, I have no idea Wacko

For my 2c worth, on the low-priced end, I'd recommend RITC 2000 -- for a defender -- on a 1.2 (classical), 1.5 (allaround), or 1.8 (modern) soft cannon from Cole, only a touch over $10.

For pure control, money being no problem (and this being you, Tzai, it's more about how many different kinds you will buy, not whether you'll buy anything LOL) I'd have to say Bfly Tackiness Chop I; yes Tackchop one, I realize it's a touch slow for the modern game, but it's ridiculously good for chops (even in thicker sponges), serves, pushes, and control / sidespin loops. I'm currently using it, recently having moved up from 1.7mm to 1.9mm to add a little punch to hits and loops, and so far I haven't seen a downside except in situations where I'm really loading up the backspin.

Tango Defensive also comes to mind from a defensive viewpoint

_ Jack _
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 6:52pm
If you are good enough and get used to a rubber you can have good control with almost any rubber. It is just what you are used to. Saying a rubber has poor control is just like a bad workman blaming his tools. If you change your rubber and your new one has 'poor control', it just means the rubber is significantly different to your previous one and makes the ball go in an unexpected way. To all those people with rubbers with 'poor control' I say get some practice with your rubber.

In answer to the question, the best control rubber is whichever one I have been practicing and playing with for the last couple of weeks. Currently Transcend SP on the forehand and God Favored SP on the backhand.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2007 at 9:46pm
Well, on the flip side, there are rubbers that are rubbish, with a compareable sheet having better speed, control, spin, etc. I can think of a sheet of commercial H2 I got that was like hitting with sticky concrete, and what some of the other posters have mentioned with various bomb rubber (IE: mechanical rubber with a rock hard sponge).

I'd say that if you took 1000 players and gave them tackiness chop 1, 1.5mm on one side, and max bryce hard on the other, I'd have a pretty good idea as to how many would say the tackchop has better control.
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 1:59am
If you gave the top 1000 players in the world that combo and said this is what you must play with, within a few weeks, 99% would be able to put the ball wherever they wanted with either side without moaning about the control. Most people need to stop moaning about their rubbers and before changing, take the time to understand the one they have.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 3:34am
My definition of the control of a rubber is this:-

If you hit the ball in the same place on the rubber, at the same speed, with the same incoming spin and speed on the ball, the ball should go to pretty much the same place every time.

The problem people have is determining what errors are the fault of the rubber and what are human error. I would say that 99% of what people put down to a lack of rubber control are down to human error. Problems like:-

Not hitting the sweet spot correctly.
Misreading incoming spin.
Trying someone elses bat and it not behaving like yours so it has bad control.

There are rubbers (and blades) which are better at compensating for these human errors, but as you improve and understand your rubber better, your errors should become less and you will feel more confident with your rubber.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 5:16pm
i disagree with Juan.

talking in context of attacking game (not defence)...

Certain rubbers give lesser margin of errors due to their very short dwell time.. mostly due to hard sponge. [even more if you have a very thin but very spinny topsheet.].

[that's why there are things as beginner rubbers or beginner blade ....and we don't ask newbees to use bryce on schlager carbon...]

On contrary softer sponges that allow the ball to dig and dwell for a few more micro-second, allow the player to set his direction more accurately. That is why everyone is after making soft sponges with better response ... than just using hard sponge for speed.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 6:09pm
If Ma Lin used a sportscraft combo I would get more points off him, assuming I got any. :-). Gear does matter.

Would Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs using a whiffle ball bat?
Would Michael Jordan score a million points wearing an astronaut suit and moonwalk boots?
Would Tommy Zai have so many girlfriend's if he wore his underwear on his head?
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 6:31pm
You are right, gear does matter if you are going to swap someones bat for a premade one. Good illustration, well done. I don't think anyone was suggesting we should swap pro bats for premades.
Debraj, how much of an adjustment can you make in a few microseconds. How quick are your reactions? You are much more likely to adjust the next time you play a similar shot. I can adjust just as well for the next shot if the ball spends less time on the bat.
As I have said before, you eliminate all so called 'control issues' if you know how your bat behaves in various situations, you practice your shots and you consistently find the sweet spot. It isn't rocket science.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 6:40pm
Juan ... allow me to differ again.

People go crazy about glue sound just because it allows them a reassuring adjustment while looping. our reflexes do work in funny way .... and those few miroseconds help me a lot in improving my game..

you are right. anytime i switch i will have to make adjustments in first few days... but your equipment does have a role to play on where you stabilize
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 6:44pm
Whether your equipment suits your style is different to it having good or bad control.
People like to think they can adjust due to the feel. They can't.
You have your opinion, I have mine, I can't see much point arguing about it. It's late, I'm off to bed.
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

If Ma Lin used a sportscraft combo I would get more points off him, assuming I got any. :-). Gear does matter.

Would Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs using a whiffle ball bat?
Would Michael Jordan score a million points wearing an astronaut suit and moonwalk boots?
Would Tommy Zai have so many girlfriend's if he wore his underwear on his head?
a little dramatic id say....=]
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 7:20pm
Juan, you make good points about technique and compensating for weak technique with "special" gear is the last resort. Antispin and long pips users are often accused of adopting this crutch; however, if that is so, then we need to list speed glue and other speed enhancers. Bottom line . . . techique is #1, but matching the right gear with the right player/style is #2. This is my humble opinion. I often bring a few setups with me to matches. Last week I played three matches with three different rubbers (same blades) and the results were very different. I realize there are many variables, but some rubbers are easy and some are difficult for me regardless of my ability or inability to handle incoming spin.
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

Juan ... allow me to differ again.

People go crazy about glue sound just because it allows them a reassuring adjustment while looping. our reflexes do work in funny way .... and those few miroseconds help me a lot in improving my game..

you are right. anytime i switch i will have to make adjustments in first few days... but your equipment does have a role to play on where you stabilize

no mate people go crazy about glue sound because it sounds like they are the big dogsWink

miroseconds help you?........you have lost the plot.

Equipment matters and I will tell you how to go about getting a setup that suits YOU,play a player 300 points higher rated than you and find a setup that will keep you in a rally just a couple extra shots more,thus making it harder for him to win the points.Because he IS gonna win the points.
       When you find that setup you can get a few extra shots in a rally then that's the setup for youWink

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 7:30pm
thanks alfie .. i wish it worked for me ... but i don't rally at all :(

I am always after opponents third ball...  ;)

and if he doesn't give me one .. :(    .... i lose

are you from australia...mate ?

alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2007 at 11:10pm

I recon you get a practice partner (that can return balls) and instead of doing drills just serve long topsing serves,it will open it up straight away and you will get much better at rallying changing from BH to FH.

That way when playing players that block your 3rd balls you will be betters equipped to handle what comes back to you
Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 1:18am
The best controlled rubber ever.

I am an artistic character, looking always to feint people out of their boots.
I need a rubber with a huge amount of control.   
I have now got one, this is

So happy about this. It plays much like an eating spoon,    placement of the ball and accuracy superior.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 1:22am
The best controlled rubber ever.

I am an artistic character, looking always to feint people out of their boots.
I need a rubber with a huge amount of control.   
I have now got one, Sponge amasingly subtle of 30* hardness.

So happy about this. It plays much like an eating spoon,    placement of the ball and accuracy superior.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 1:42am

How do you even find threads from 2007?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 9:49am
Whoever is behind the igorponger caricature should be exposed.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 9:55am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Whoever is behind the igorponger caricature should be exposed.

Agreed. It's been silly for a LONG time
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2015 at 12:03pm
+1. Let's get some pitchforks and torches, and get to the bottom of this. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic