tabletennis11.com

Triple Sealing is legal! YES, if . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triple Sealing is legal! YES, if . . .
    Posted: 10/07/2007 at 10:57am
it's not super thick like a heavily lacquered coffee table . . . at least this is my understanding of the rules. I have been sealing dozens of blades using a triple sealing method I learned in China from high level Chinese players and blade gurus. A member on this site turned me on to the sealant, which is Varathane. My sealing technique has many steps and take hours. In the end only about 1-2 grams is added. I am careful not to make the blades too thick. The end result is a smooth, glassy finish. You can see the grain, but cannot feel the grain.

Triple sealing protects the blade, stiffens the blade, and will definitely speed up your play. I estimate it adds a notch on the speed scale, i.e. an ALL becomes an ALL+.

Is this legal?

I think so! There are thousands and thousands of players doing this overseas and they are not hiding it.

I should mention it's very easy to remove a little sealant is you use a fine grade (150-220) wet-sanding sponge and gently make circles across the blade surface, being careful not to round the edges.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 4:05am
Tommy, I have read the Rules from the ITTF and cannot find anywhere, about it being illegal, I know I have read it somewhere, or even been told by an ITTF equipment committe member.

To be Honest with you, I cant even see how the Kreanga Carbon can be breaking the rules.

Hopefully some one can locate the exact rule, that will shed some light on the subject.

I think its a shame that the ITTF cant make the rules easily understandable and enforced.

Every rule should be spelled out in an easy to read and understand manner.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 4:24am
It's in here
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/pdf/T4_Racket_Coverings_2007.pdf
Potato Face
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 4:53am
Its primary purpose is to protect the blade, the speed increase is only a side-effect and is no way comparable to carbon or even adding lead weights.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 4:59am
Sorry to make stupid question, but what is sealing?
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 5:04am
Here is the actual wording, taken from the ITTF site

1.1. Blade
A very thin layer of lacquer is permitted on the blade, only for the purpose
of anchoring wood fibres, thereby facilitating replacement of the covering.
Anything more than this will be deemed to constitute a layer of plastic,
and will not be permitted. This layer may be no more than 0.1 mm thick,
and should not hide the wood from sight or touch. It is considered to be
part of the blade, rather than part of the thickness of the covering.

So the key words here are Sight or Touch. And 0.1mm

0.1mm is about the thickness of  a sheet of thin writing paper, 1 coat of Varnish or lacquer is about 0.1mm, so 3 coats would make it illegal.

Sealing is when you apply a coat of lacquer to the blade, so as to avoid splintering

I personally believe that the Rule is STUPID and unenforceable.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 6:28am
Maybe I am wrong but I think you can either SEE or TOUCH the grain but not both required
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 6:56am
Originally posted by LachlanTan LachlanTan wrote:

Maybe I am wrong but I think you can either SEE or TOUCH the grain but not both required

You can still see the grain if the coating is more than 0.1mm, but its still illegal

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 7:18am
man this rule blows
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 7:41am

ITTF needs to make a new rule about this issue..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 7:57am
Originally posted by LachlanTan LachlanTan wrote:

ITTF needs to make a new rule about this issue..

The ITTF doesn't know what its doing.

I had a look and feel of a Hallmark Frictionless Pimple "Super Defense", apparently the ITTF has passed this rubber, yet in my opinion it does not comply with the ITTF rules.

WHATS GOING ON

I'm Confused

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 8:19am
oh rlly? well then give it to me defence ezy !!! nah just jk
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 11:11am
Technically, the "touch" part doesn't make sense. Any layer of varnish will hide the wood from touch (when you touch it, you only make contact with the varnish, not the actual wood, unless you didn't get a good layer on and left some spots uncovered).

But about the part saying that it would count as a layer of plastic, is it not allowed to have a layer of plastic on top? The top ply must be wood?

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 11:14am
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

Technically, the "touch" part doesn't make sense. Any layer of varnish will hide the wood from touch (when you touch it, you only make contact with the varnish, not the actual wood, unless you didn't get a good layer on and left some spots uncovered).

But about the part saying that it would count as a layer of plastic, is it not allowed to have a layer of plastic on top? The top ply must be wood?

Arthur, its absolutely crazy. I just cant understand what the ITTF is trying to do. I mean how could it possibly affect the outcome of a match. Confused

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 11:15am
You can see the grain on any blade i seal and in most cases still slightly feel grain; however, the feel thing is not an issue as half the blades I buy from the factory come unfeelable, i.e. Galaxy MC1 . . . and all the other coated blades. Hey, when I seal I'm not lacquering it to be like a coffee table . . . I'm rubbing Varathane into the wood, wetsanding, and repeating twice. It's think, but glassy. The results are LEGAL!!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 11:26am
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

Arthur, its absolutely crazy. I just cant understand what the ITTF is trying to do. I mean how could it possibly affect the outcome of a match. Confused

Well a thick layer can increase the speed of the racket, so it can affect the outcome of the match. But there's nothing wrong with this advantage. It's equivalent to the person buying a slightly stiffer, faster blade. So philosophically there's nothing wrong with it, the ITTF just didn't think the rule through before making it.

But is there a rule saying that the top ply must be wood, not plastic? I didn't see such a rule in that PDF. The closest rule I saw was that 85% of the thickness of the blade must be natural wood. But if they allow a manufacturer to put a layer of plastic as the outer ply, then I don't see the difference if a person puts a thicker layer of varnish, assuming it still complies with the 85% rule.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

I had a look and feel of a Hallmark Frictionless Pimple "Super Defense", apparently the ITTF has passed this rubber, yet in my opinion it does not comply with the ITTF rules. WHATS GOING ONI'm Confused

Arthur, its absolutely crazy. I just cant understand what the ITTF is trying to do. I mean how could it possibly affect the outcome of a match

Well said Rob, it isn't the rubber but the players who determine the outcome of any match, regardless of equipment!

About the sealing, as far as I know, the rule for blades is that 85% needs to be of "natural wood" (Is there any other) so assuming I have an all wood blade, I could add 15% varnish to it and it would still be legal...
The holy grail
jinhocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinhocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2007 at 5:38pm
I believe as long as you can see the bare wood and the thickness is less than 0.1mm...that's is legal under current law... I believe Butterfly is convincing ITTF for its changing, but not know when...
jinhocha
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 3:48pm
For Layman is easy to think a laquer coat is gonna increase the speed, but that is not true as long the bounce is the result of the whole transmision of the impact energy of the ball. as long the inner plies od the blade are the same this cant be true. tommy check your physics textbook..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic