Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

new to wooden blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to wooden blades
    Posted: 11/27/2007 at 12:45pm
i would like to ask your opinions regarding wooden blades

my first blade after a premade was a bty sardius followed by a tbs, as such i have never really tried the 'feel' a wooden blade supposedly provides

i play a close to the table attacking/spin game with unglued globe999 nat'l fh and tg3 bh with a tbs which imo is great

but as i continue to read about wooden blades, i always wonder how they claim to give you a good feel for the ball and because my game also relies a good deal on blocking, i'd like to give them a try

what do you guys think? would they slow my game down too much or at all?  would my current rubber setup still work?

i've heard great reviews about the acoustic, clipper wood, and the offensive cr...
Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
Sponsored Links

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 12:50pm
They are usually softer than carbon or A/C blades, I'll say usually because the Clipper and Offensive Classic are relatively harder wood blades.  It is more common to have vibration in wood blades therefore more feedback.  Obviously your skill level will be a big part of your control but the wood blades tend to be more slow and will help with that.  The Clipper wood is a great blade and would go well with what you listed, Plus the Avalox P500 or P700 if you want more speed.  I liked the Boll Forte as well, and it's a cheap blade with a softer feel.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 4:07pm
wood blades are better for chinese rubbers since they arch the ball more. if you don't understand what i mean, they dont put alot of speed onto the ball, and lets the rubber do it. by this, you can loop alot better, especially spin. with carbon it adds alot more speed and is better for playing faster games without TOO much of a spin (Ofcourse still focused). and since chinese rubbers are spin>speed instead of speed>spin an all-wood blade would be better for globe999 and TG3

when choosing wood plys im not so sure. i think 7ply is faster and heaviere than a regular 5ply which offers great controll and weight, as well as a good deal of speed.

am i right? XD
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 4:15pm

7 plys are typically heavier and faster.  5 plys typically have a little more touch and are lighter in weight and are easier to work with in my opinion, but it all comes down to preference. 

Clipper CR WRB

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 4:31pm
thats right; preference.
Butterfly Viscaria
ksu06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksu06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

wood blades are better for chinese rubbers since they arch the ball more. if you don't understand what i mean, they dont put alot of speed onto the ball, and lets the rubber do it. by this, you can loop alot better, especially spin. with carbon it adds alot more speed and is better for playing faster games without TOO much of a spin (Ofcourse still focused). and since chinese rubbers are spin>speed instead of speed>spin an all-wood blade would be better for globe999 and TG3

when choosing wood plys im not so sure. i think 7ply is faster and heaviere than a regular 5ply which offers great controll and weight, as well as a good deal of speed.

am i right? XD

Asaomi is right about the chinese rubbers if you like an opening loop with heavy topspin because the dwell time is longer.  My set up is a bit more geared towards fast loop (with a good deal less spin than chinese rubbers) but is also better for smashing.  But then again, I guess that is what carbon is for ...
Offensive CR
FH: H3 (2.2)
BH: V-Stage (2.0)
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 5:39pm
yeah, and not that you get the chances for smashing too often.
Butterfly Viscaria
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 9:40pm

Try butterfly Korbel first if you doubt about the feel of all wood blades. if you prefer to buy one of the best among them try Nittaku Acoustic.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 9:43pm
The Boll Forte is also an excellent blade
Clipper CR WRB

masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2007 at 9:57pm
thanks for the suggestions!

anyway, i found this post by zeropong and thought i'd try the silver power blade (second link):
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14828

anyone ever tried these ctta blades before?

Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic