tabletennis11.com

What is the best chopping blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best chopping blade?
    Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:27pm
As I complete my transition to cpen, I thought it would be nice to have one shakehand blade/combo in the bag for chopping, should I want a little variety from time to time.

What is the best chopping blade?

I should mention . . . I think the Matsush*ta Pro Special is too heavy.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2007 at 11:28pm
buy a pre-made and put on chopping rubbers, i think they are best for chopping
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:27am
Depends on what you are trying to do.  If you are chopping exclusively on both wings other than the rare pick hit, you want a blade as slow as possible.  I have an old Hock hardbat that is the slowest thing I have ever used, and it is absolutely sublime for two winged chopping.  Other slow ass blades are the Yasaka Sweeper, Toxic 3, and Dr. Neubauer Barricade.

If you want to attack/loop with the forehand, the "Modern" def blades are very good, like Vioncello, Matsush*ta Pro.  They are just a little harder to chop with.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:28am
Does a chopping blade have to be oversized?
What about weight?
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:37am
toxic 3 I believe is VERY VERY slow,good for chopping and if you put a very fast rubber on the FH problably a good attacking choppers blade
Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:40am
The shapes remind me of the Hock blades. I like the idea of having a setup for chopping. I feel at peace with my decision to study the art of cpen, but have one special setup for my Seemiller and one for Chopping.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:55am
pre made bats are made of screwed up and slow wood, it should be the slowest available in table tennis
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:05am
What about the Joo Se Hyuk?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:18am

his a professional player who can control his spin and plus he sometimes attacks...well i mean if you get better you might need different blades but for a start off i think the slowest is best for you to control. when you developed your style, sometimes when you chop the ball goes to the net if the blade is too slow, its normal

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:39am
I would stay away from the Joo.  It has very hard outer plies and is rather fast for a defense blade.  It loops very nicely kind of like a Korbel, but I found it too hard and fast for chopping consistently.  The Vioncello I had was just as capable offensively, but also very nice feel for chopping.  
unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:43am
I've heard very good things about the Donic Defplay Classic. 
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 2:35am
@ Tz, I thought that Stiga AR O/S An. u sold to Andy a while back could b used as a def. blade...huge footprint but light...
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 4:10am
I just want to add a point.. Oversize blade increase weight due to the more weight from the rubber. I have the kokutaku blade that has a dimension of 167X 160, and it's not that heavy on the blade itself, but the rubber makes the whole thing MUCH heavier than I expected.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 9:39am
The old Butterfly 3 ply Hock blades are the best chopping blades ever.  They never should have discontinued them.  That was stupid Butterfly!
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:37pm
I have been thinking getting a chopping blade for fun also.  I am leaning towards the Nittaku Willtrea.  Or I might just get the Yasaka Sweden Classic if I don't want an oversize blade.
masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:47pm
why don't you try penhold chopper just for kicks? Wink i've seen it done 
Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:48pm
The Stiga Allround OS would have been a good chopping blade, but I sold it. :-).

Hey, do you have to use Shakehand grip to chop? Probably a silly question.
masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:50pm
see my post above ----^
Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

The Stiga Allround OS would have been a good chopping blade, but I sold it. :-).

Hey, do you have to use Shakehand grip to chop? Probably a silly question.
It's wif me, I borrowed it from Andy, it has now a Feint long 2 1.2mm on 1 side n some other rbr on, no time to try, light overall but head heavy dunno why, nice handle and almost new... u can use whatevr grip to chop...whatevr rocks ur boat...i guess.
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by a23096713 a23096713 wrote:

I just want to add a point.. Oversize blade increase weight due to the more weight from the rubber. I have the kokutaku blade that has a dimension of 167X 160, and it's not that heavy on the blade itself, but the rubber makes the whole thing MUCH heavier than I expected.

Where did you get the kotutaku yanagi blade?
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2007 at 11:14pm
I got my Kokutaku Yanagi blade from www.iruiru.com

it's the probably the cheapest blade over there, but the quality is pretty good like others.

it's one very huge paddle.. in the dimension it says 165X160. but mine was a little bit bigger than that.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 12:30am
OK, thanks.  I just ordered a Defence II from iruiru.  I am going to put some feint soft and drum cwx on there to revive my serious tt game.  no more two-handedness.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 5:01am
tommyzai, didnt you know speed_king is the hero at knowing the "best" equipment?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

I have been thinking getting a chopping blade for fun also.� I am leaning towards the Nittaku Willtrea.

I just got off the phone with a Nittaku distributor, who recommends the Monophonic over the Willtrea.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2007 at 4:25pm
If it wasn't because of the weight, I would suggest the Dawei Whizz, over sized and simple great for chopping, but on the heavy side.

If you want a "regular" blade to chop with, I would suggest the Yasaka Balsa, it's slow with a great feeling and excellent control, it also aids the ability to spin the ball. As a bonus, its also rather light.
The holy grail
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2007 at 3:43pm
defence alpha is the best for` butchering`the ball that i have tried so far,chop or push is not just spinny but very flat and low,in my match last night i pushed one just too long when it landed it spun back underneath the table,that was the only one that went long all evening ,and none went into the net
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2007 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

I have been thinking getting a chopping blade for fun also.  I am leaning towards the Nittaku Willtrea.

I just got off the phone with a Nittaku distributor, who recommends the Monophonic over the Willtrea.

keep in mind the Monophonic is made in China.  So is the Haneyoshi.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 1:27am
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

defence alpha is the best for` butchering`the ball that i have tried so far,chop or push is not just spinny but very flat and low,in my match last night i pushed one just too long when it landed it spun back underneath the table,that was the only one that went long all evening ,and none went into the net

Firetack, what rubber were you using ??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic