FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Thank you 4 Korbel advices.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thank you 4 Korbel advices.
    Posted: 12/16/2007 at 9:58am
Thank you for all of you who commented and gave me advices on my post a little while back about choosing an all wood blade.

I ended up with the Petr Korbel blade because the Samsonov Alpha got a sudden 60% price increase and the Stiga that were available were all WRBs (I would have gotten the Clipper Wood if they had the non WRB over the Korbel).

Based on previous comments, advices, and reading on the forum I decided to put Sriver and Sriver EL on the Korbel. A quite slow setup but one recommended to learn the proper strokes.

Here are my finding after using the Korbel for a week (4x play, 2-3 hours each time):

Comparing with my previous setup: DHS H-WL with Tokyo 2 and Tokyo/Cermet, the Korbel + Sriver-Sriver EL is certainly much slower but also a little lighter setup with more control. I could feel more of the ball and I could feel more of how I did wrong with my strokes. My serves have less spin but instead of having spinnier serves, I now have more playable (in-table) serves. FH loops also slower and less spin but more percentage of getting in. BH flip/smash is much slower, but I found that when I execute it properly, it still kills despite it being much slower. Before using the H-WL, I was using the Wavestone a/c blade. It's even faster setup. The kill I made with it is so satisfying, but that was if I actually managed to land the ball on the table. Hahaha...

So, I concluded that using the slower setup helps me to improve my game (ball placement) and also strokes (instead of depending on the fast/spinny rubbers with small strokes I'm going to have to execute strokes more properly to produce power and spin). Awhile back I tried slower setup with the H-WL with Mark V AD FH and Sriver EL BH, but I feel that the Korbel Sriver/Sriver EL plays a little better than that. Maybe has something to do with the blade-rubbers combination or that I've played better since I last tried the H-WL + Mark V AD + Sriver EL setup.

Anyway, here's my initial thought about the new Korbel setup.
I would like to thank all of you who have commented and gave me advices on using all wood/slower/classic-standard setup instead of getting carbon blade/fast setup.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:10pm
The Korbel with Max Sriver EL produces a bat with good control and touch.

I disagree about it being slow because with good technique and timing it can generate enough speed to hit winners from 3 feet behind the table.

You do have to execute your strokes properly to produce power and spin, but that is more rewarding as you are improving you technique in doing so.

Personally if you lack the technique to play well with 5 ply wood blade the Korbel or Stiga Offensive classic, with rubbers like Sriver or Mark v, then you would be advised to try a set up like this to improve it.

loopdrive View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:32pm
I agree with Peter C that P Korbel is not slow at all. I use Inspirit Quattro 2.0 on my fh. I play no more than 5 feet from the table. I still feel I have plenty of power to loop or smash.

I also agree with Rokphish that P Korbel adds control to the game. I used to use Stiga Energy Wood and I felt it was too fast to my liking. After switching to P Korbel, I am a more consistent player now.
Energy Wood
FH CJ8000 on Quattro 2.0 40
BH RITC 802-40 2.0 35
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:55pm
I tried the Korbel with Max Sriver EL for the first time over the weekend and my teammate mentioned I was very consistent with it and he had a harder time reading my shots than normal.

The Korbel definitely adds control to your game, particularly when keeping long loops and drives on the table. The short game was very good and blocking seemed easier than on my faster blades like the Wavestone.

As a teenager I learnt to play with A Stiga offensive with Mark V and this bat reminds of that in in many ways.

True it generates less spin than my arylate carbons on serve,but it also means you are less troubled by incoming spin as well.
ttnooblar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttnooblar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 9:24pm
a fantastic blade, after you've improved your strokes you can always switch to a faster rubber. I really like the donic f1 I use now on it. (It's not too fast for the short game either.)
BTY Michael Maze (Flared)
Donic F2 2.0mm (FH)
Donic F2 2.0mm (BH)
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 11:29am
@All,

I should clarify about what I said about the Korbel being slow. What I mean is that at my current skill level and comparing the Korbel setup with the previous setup that I used, I feel that the Korbel setup is slow/slower. I believe that the Korbel setup itself is capable of so much more than I and as I learn to execute better strokes, the spin and speed will also progress.

After using the Korbel setup now for 5 times (2-3 hours each time), I certainly feel much more control in the games/strokes. I have 3-4 other club members commented this last week that I've been improving much lately. And I feel that the Korbel has contributed much for it.

The hard thing is to learn patience to stick with these setup. I'm so very much tempted to stick the new Bryce Speed FX and Cermet on the Korbel. My uncle had just given me a new sheet of Bryce Speed FX that he just bought and didn't like.

But, I promised myself to stick with the Sriver setup for time being, at least until the end of the year. I'm thinking that I need to stay with it for 2-3 months and then re-evaluate. I might change the Sriver to Sriver EL though, so I'd be using both Sriver EL on the Korbel.

What is the different between Sriver and Sriver EL? I know that the sponge hardness is different, but to what effect? I already have another Sriver EL so I don't have to purchase a new one. I just wanted to know if it will be better to use Sriver-Sriver EL, or Sriver EL on both. If I use Sriver-Sriver EL, which one should I use on FH and BH? I mean, based on the rubbers characteristics.

Currently I play allround with FH doing most spin (fast/loop) and BH mostly chop, flip and smash. I'm learning to be more aggressive in play, adding smash on the FH and spin on the BH. My BH chop is much better than my FH chop.

Your further comments and advices are welcomed.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 3:01pm
If you have Sriver L on one side and Sriver EL on the other, then the next time you play; try using both rubbers on each wing, to see how they feel.

You'll know by the end of a 2-3 hour session which way round the bat feels more comfortable.

Sriver L has a harder sponge than Sriver EL, being slightly faster, but no so spinny and it does loop well with speed and spin.

Sriver EL has better control and can generate more spin on slow loops.

The softer sponge of Sriver EL is better suited for backhand chopping IMO. I also think it makes an excellent backhand rubber.

My inclination would be Sriver L forehand and Sriver EL backhand, however I have noticed more than one player preferring it the other way around.

The good thing is both rubbers will work well on both wings of the Korbel.

Regarding Bryce Speed FX, I would suggest you leave that at the moment to refine your technique further, as it has a lower throw than Sriver and requires good technique to master and handle it.

Bryce Speed Fx is said to emulate glued up Bryce FX which is great fun to play with and a great looping rubber, however it is harder to master the short game than Sriver, if you lack good touch already.

It would be a good choice on the forehand of a Korbel and worth trying, after you have developed a consistent forehand loop through good technique. Your loops will be faster than with Sriver and you'll also need to toss the ball higher on serves to get more spin.

Again Bryce is a good choice on a Korbel like Sriver.

Good luck whichever options you try and let us know how you get on.

asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 6:19pm
i agree with Peter C,
  good adviceClap
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 10:30pm
same here. eba tried it glued. like hard out?
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2007 at 11:10am
@All,
Thanks again for all your comments and advice. I'll let you know how I do. I'll be back with more questions... =)

@korearulz,
Sorry, I don't understand what you said.
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2007 at 3:51pm
If you wet glue sriver EL on kordbel, then it turns out to be really dast and has lots of sound. in korea, htey glue al rubbers hard-out. like 3 layers 3 times a day. i used one of their rackets and man.........it was fast. i felt like byce glued up and way more tackier. oh, do you no wat wet glueing is?
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 12:05am
Yes, i heard that speedgluing the sriver will make it much faster and spinnier. But i dont want to use speedglue anymore. So when the time comes i'll just use faster rubbers that i have such as bryce speed fx, bryce, cermet, and tokyo. Gamsa hamnida korearulz.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic