FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table myth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table myth?
    Posted: 12/20/2007 at 3:05am
I heard that tables bend if they are left in the sun over excessive hours. Is that just a myth?
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 3:23am
I think heat, humidity and sun will warp the wood of the table. Thats why outdoor tables are better made of aluminum.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 5:31am
it is not a myth. It is a fact.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 2:28pm
An indoor table will bend/warp if left outdoors.  There will be less effect on an outdoor table (due to different construction materials used - namely aluminum).

Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
loopdrive View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 4:03pm
My cheap table warped already in the basement. I had to re-enforce the mid section to bring it flat again. Cry

Energy Wood
FH CJ8000 on Quattro 2.0 40
BH RITC 802-40 2.0 35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 4:10pm
doesnt it have the metal bar support under it? it cant bend through that
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 7:53pm
The metal support is meant for the table to rest on it, but it is not designed to reinforce the table, so it will not help to prevent warping.
Loopdrive, the ambient temperature and or humidity in your basement must be very unfavourable for the table. Is there no way to improve it (maybe improving air circulation) ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 7:58pm
i mean.....so the wood bends with the metal bar??i dont think it can be that strong..the metal bar is attached to the wood
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 10:06pm
By warping I assume it is only a few milimeters, and metal is screwed to the wood only at some points, so there is still some tolerance. And the bending will be seen only after a long period of time, definitely not in a few hours.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

cousinkenni View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cousinkenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2007 at 10:43pm
I am going a little off topic here, but the last post brought up a very good point.  Almost all the table out there including the $1000+ "name Brand" tables use a metal support skirt, but the skirt just goes around the edge of the table and essentially doesn't support anything.  The only company that I have seen that actually uses a metal frame to support the table (in which the metal undercarraige is actually attached to the support legs) is San Ei.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 7:48am
san ei? i have never heard
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 8:34am
you and your foolish questions. i want to meet you =] youd prolly make me laff
loopdrive View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 9:17am
I bought this cheap Harvard table x years ago from pingpong.com.  It has metal frame all around except one side where the net is. That was exactly where the warping happened. It caved down about half an inch. I had to build a wood stool to push the table back to flat position from the bottom. So watch out for this little thing if you buy a cheap table.
Energy Wood
FH CJ8000 on Quattro 2.0 40
BH RITC 802-40 2.0 35
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 9:26am
Originally posted by drywater drywater wrote:

you and your foolish questions. i want to meet you =] youd prolly make me laff
ok your going too far now, what have I done that makes you jump on me everytime I post? I thought we could peace out already. if you got a problem please say it and not attack me unnessercarily. thank you and please reply in private mail. this should be personal
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 11:11am

you jus ask some dumb questions.

drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 11:12am
no harm intended tho... i jus wanna rack up some posts =) you must be like 13 yrs old cuz u ask these questions that a lil kid would ask. so if u confirm ur age i will put that in consideration and be more leinant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2007 at 6:10pm
well sorry if you know everything about table tennis. I don't think you need to be on this forum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic