Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

vladimir samsonov vs timmo boll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gurovski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vladimir samsonov vs timmo boll
    Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:06pm
i think vladimir samsonov is old and his time is gone
timo boll is better than him .
i want to listen your thinking
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 12:30pm
Vladi is not that old - he is younger than Schlager was when he won 2003 WTTC. He is also definitely more gifted than Timo. I have watched many matches they both played, and Vladi is more diverse. He might be a less all-out offensive player than Timo but that certainly doesn't mean he is a worse player... I think you might have been overly impressed with the attacking side of the game. It reminds me of people who like to put down Waldner as "a blocker" - they mean that JO didn't attack as much as other guys but used his superb blocking and counterattacks instead. All I could say there was "wow, what a strange narrow-minded way of looking at table tennis"...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
unisonus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unisonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 1:54pm
Gurovski,

Not all players age quickly. Those "control players" who depend on tactics and ball placement peak slowly. Samsonov is one of those players. Timo Boll, on the other hand, is an aggressive player who relies on physical prowess (though he's by no means a dummy). As he ages he gets slower. His main advantage disappears. If I had to bet on the long term, I'd go with Samsonov.
hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 3:52pm
Interestingly, Timo seems to beat Vladi more often than the other way around, while Vladi has slightly better results in the Worlds/OG with his silver from 1997.

Both have been World number 1 and European and World Cup Champ. Vladi is 31, a year older than Schlager in 2003, but his touch and all round play seems undimished.

In addition to owing more to athleticism, Timo plays off the table more  and probably gets more help from glue. This makes me interested to know how much the glue ban will affect him relative to Vladi who generally plays closer to the table.
sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 4:49pm
To say that Valdi is done is to overlook he recent success, he has been doing better against the Chinese players than he has since '97 or so, and he has done at least as well against the field as Boll recently while doing better against the Chinese than Boll.  It might be said that Valdi is only doing well against Wang Hao, which is a good style match up for Valdi, and against Liqin who is working on changing his game right now.  But, doing well is doing well.  What is Boll doing with these guys?

Valdis' performance is at a high level more consistently than Boll; with Boll you never know who he will lose to in what stage of a tourny, though some of this may be attributed to Bolls' frequent injuries it certainly is a factor to be considered when opining as to who the better player is.

Samsonov has trouble with the really quick players, but has been doing better lately, hence his recent good showings against the Chinese and Boll.  I believe Valdi has a one win advantage over Boll in pro tour events with his most win making the difference.

Seems to me it is an odd time to declare that Samis' time is past and that Boll is a better player.
YEO

Boost TP
hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 7:42pm
Timo is 2-1 over Vladi in 2007 ITTF events and took Vladi to win the EuroChamps MS as well.

2007 ITTF event results
Vladi 1-0 over Wang Liqin, 0-1 to Wang Hao, 0-3 to Ma Lin, 6, 1-1 with Ma Long

He hasn't played Chen Qi in an ITTF 2007 but defeated him in 2006.

Timo 0-1 to Wang Liqin, 0-2 to Ma Lin, 0-1 to Chen Qi, 0-2 to Ma Long.

There isn't much difference there but it seems that on 2007 results against the Chinese, Vladi has a little edge.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 7:51pm
Samsonov is a very controlled ball pracement player. I don't think age matters in table tennis as long as you can keep away from injuries.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 7:54pm
give it 6 yrs lol, by that time wang hao will retire lol
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

sprite View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by hubie60 hubie60 wrote:

Timo is 2-1 over Vladi in 2007 ITTF events and took Vladi to win the EuroChamps MS as well.

2007 ITTF event results

There isn't much difference there but it seems that on 2007 results against the Chinese, Vladi has a little edge.

Valdi is 0-2 to Wang Hao in '07 in ittf events, full 7 games both times.
YEO

Boost TP
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2007 at 10:49pm
boll cant do that, full 7 games distance i mean.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 2:21am

I think the Chinese are figuring out Boll.  Samsonov is a great control player who will get the best of you eventually.  I think walls are the hardest people to play against because they control every bit of the tempo of the game.

Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2008 at 11:41am
the Chinese have figured out Boll ages ago.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2008 at 11:29am
Samsonov - Very clever game
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2008 at 12:52pm
In the last couple of years, have Timo won any games against top ten chinese players?

And I agree, once his boyish charm and speed fade with age, he will slip down the ratings... considerably. That's what (unfortunately) happened with Schlager, Gatien - once their physical form started to deteriorate, they cannot play at the same level... and look at Waldner, his style is still keeping him in the Top 50, not to mention his performance at Olympic Games 2004 when he was 39...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 7:33am
the SWEDE HAS RETIRED AND HAS YET TO DROP OUT OF TOP 50!!!! AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

the SWEDISH GOD LIVES ON!!!!!!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

gurovski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 8:31am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

the SWEDE HAS RETIRED AND HAS YET TO DROP OUT OF TOP 50!!!! AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

the SWEDISH GOD LIVES ON!!!!!!

what is so funny about that?
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 8:39am
YEA I KNOW WHATS SO FUNNY?!?!?!??!
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I DONT UNDERSTAND EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2008 at 3:40pm
How did this discussion end up in the Equipment section?
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by hubie60 hubie60 wrote:

2007 ITTF event results

yeah, but i think in their last 6 matches against each other, it's 3-3.  samsonov beat boll in the euro top-12 and in the world cup last year.

but boll wasn't a 100% and so, you get the sense that if he's on, he's gonna beat vladi every time.  they've played each other too much and boll just knows exactly how to set samsonov up and put him away.  but if boll is just a little off, then samsonov will win.

also, i notice that vladi has a problem with boll's inside-out forehand from the backhand side.  whenever boll jumps out and hits that one, vladi either misses it or throws up an easy ball that boll can then kill.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic