Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly BalsaCarbo X5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sladotron99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sladotron99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly BalsaCarbo X5
    Posted: 01/05/2008 at 3:45am
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has tried this blade and what rubber combinations are good.

I am a 2200 player. I currently use Butterfly Timo Boll Forte (discontinued blade), and it plays somewhat like Timo Boll Spirit just cheaper. So I am looking for a replacement blade from Butterfly, since they don't make Boll Forte blade anymore. I am really thinking about BalsaCarbo X5 blade, because the speed/control parameters are about the same. I've also tried Michael Maze OFF blade, and that was just a little too fast for over the table play.

I use Tibhar Torpedo Soft max on forehand
and Sriver FX 2.1mm on backhand

I am thinking about getting a regular Torpedo max, instead of the soft version, because the blade supposedly is soft on its own.

Anyone has any rubber experience/recommendations with this blade?
Thanks
Sponsored Links

asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 8:18am
yeh the X5 is quite is med-soft, good close to the table but not so powerful away from the table

better with Med-Hard rubbers

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 9:40am

Sladotron99:  Welcome to the forum!  With a 2200 rating, you are a very accomplished and seasoned player!  You'll find a lot of good here from veteran players, equipment junkies (EJs), and accomplished players from all sorts of styles. 

Regarding your blade, do you have any preferences regarding weight, size or shape (do you dislike compact head sizes?), thickness, handle style and size, and overall feel of the blade?  There are countless options out there and you'll get a lot of recommendations, so making a change in the right direction so as to help improve your current ranking would be best. 

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 10:13am
Yes the blade is soft.  If it didn't contain carbon the blade would feel like a pillow.  It's a great blade to generate spin with.  From mid distance the blade does pack a decent punch, similar to the Boll Forte.  I've used both.  There is good feel with the blade, good for serves and pushes.  It's a relatively light blade, about 83-85 grams, so it's lighter than your Boll Forte.  I have one with a ST handle i'm looking to sell, let me know if you're interested. 
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 10:19am
The Korbel is a good blade to replace the Timo Boll forte, another option is the Galaxy TC1
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 11:23am
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

Yes the blade is soft.  If it didn't contain carbon the blade would feel like a pillow.  It's a great blade to generate spin with.  From mid distance the blade does pack a decent punch, similar to the Boll Forte.  I've used both.  There is good feel with the blade, good for serves and pushes.  It's a relatively light blade, about 83-85 grams, so it's lighter than your Boll Forte.  I have one with a ST handle i'm looking to sell, let me know if you're interested. 

i tried my friends version of this and he had Sriver both sides and his was very slow away from the table

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 12:51pm
I always play with X5 (I have 5 woods, in case of...) I like it because (in my opinion) is very good wirh my soft on the reverse (Challenger) but it also allows me to counter attack easily and to block the spin with great control
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sladotron99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 5:21pm
hmm, thanks for all the responses.
I don't have any trouble generating power/spin away from the table.

I thought boll forte is 80 grams, and so is BalsaCarbo X5. At least thats what it says online, I don't have a scale to weight it myself.

I would prefer the blade with a flared or anatomic handle. A replacement blade can not exceed 90 grams, because max rubber makes it really heavy, especially when you have a few layers of glue. The head can't be compact, or some weird shape, just regular oval shape. I am not sure about the feel of the blade, I guess med hard is ok, but soft might be ok if I pick the right rubbers for it.

bull_harrier , How much do you want for your BalsaCarbo X5 ? What shape is the blade in?
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2008 at 5:30pm
My favorite thing about the blade is it's light and fairly fast, especially short and mid range.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2008 at 7:10am
The Balsa Carbo X5 weight is 75 gr, very light !
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sladotron99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2008 at 2:32pm
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2008 at 2:41pm
blades vary in weight from what the manufacturers say

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic