Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Clips and Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
T2Russo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T2Russo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clips and Pips
    Posted: 01/09/2008 at 8:02pm
I finally got my new Clipper in yesterday, and after a nice new coat of Varathane and some rubber frome Cole, I played with it for the first time today.

Wow.

Compared to my Dawei Quattro A+, this thing fits my style like a glove. �This Clipper is very light (~80 grams), but it feels much more solid than my 5-ply; I really know why people say the top gear on the Clipper is like hitting with a baseball bat

The rubbers I put on were both by Friendship: 802-40 in black with a 2.0mm Dawei Saviga sponge and Focus III in red with a 2.2mm stock Friendship sponge.

The 802-40 is a tremendously better fit for my style than my previous sheet, 1.5mm 799. �I'm pretty much a driver, using fast but flat topspin loops and hits, and occasionally looping long backspin. �I also chop and lob for defense. �This rubber combination is much much faster than the 799, and the real danger�to�my�opponents from it is that it is spinny enough to more than compensate for the extra speed. �My drives have much more kick and dive to them now, and lobs will drop down harder, faster, and shorter. �Chopping is actually pretty good, and blocking is much quicker that I'm used to, but ultimately puts more pressure on the hitter. �If you play a hybrid game like me, using medium topspin but lots of speed and power, 802-40 really gives the perfect balance of spin and speed. �The Dawei sponge that Cole put on is excellent: with two thick layers of regular glue left to dry overnight, it has a loud pop and lets the ball sink in well for�heavy�loops.

I'm using the Focus III on my RPB, and because I use it only about 25% of the time, I really haven't gotten a good impression of it. �It's very Sriver/Mark Vish: good short control and the ability to really dig in for spin and speed. �I'll post more after some additional time playing with it.

No joke, between coaching over winter break and this new setup, I've improved 30%. �People at my school who I used to struggle to play against now seem easy. �The training taught me how to get the techniques and form to deal with the situations; the rubbers and blade let me execute the techniques. �Someone asked me "Jeeze, what the hell did you do over break? �You're smashing EVERYTHING in!"

And people say that equipment doesn't matter.

Tongue

JPen Jockey:
Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm (Andro Plasma 470 2.0mm)
Yasaka Musashi 9mm (Friendship Focus III)
Sponsored Links

amateur101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by T2Russo T2Russo wrote:

The rubbers I put on were both by Friendship: 802-40 in black with a 2.0mm Dawei Saviga sponge and Focus III in red with a 2.2mm stock Friendship sponge.

The 802-40 is a tremendously better fit for my style than my previous sheet, 1.5mm 799.  I'm pretty much a driver, using fast but flat topspin loops and hits, and occasionally looping long backspin.  I also chop and lob for defense.  This rubber combination is much much faster than the 799, and the real danger to my opponents from it is that it is spinny enough to more than compensate for the extra speed.  My drives have much more kick and dive to them now, and lobs will drop down harder, faster, and shorter.  Chopping is actually pretty good, and blocking is much quicker that I'm used to, but ultimately puts more pressure on the hitter.  If you play a hybrid game like me, using medium topspin but lots of speed and power, 802-40 really gives the perfect balance of spin and speed.  The Dawei sponge that Cole put on is excellent: with two thick layers of regular glue left to dry overnight, it has a loud pop and lets the ball sink in well for heavy loops.

Isn't Saviga 2.0 mm too fast? I read recommendations to use thinner sponges when using short pips.
Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
FH/BH - TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 8:36pm

I find it strange when short forms are used in titles. For example why don't you use clipper instead of clip?

T2Russo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T2Russo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 9:40pm
Rhyme.

I used this blade setup from time to time, but no so much anymore, as I've been playing JPen for tournaments exclusively since March. 

The 2.0 Saviga in 35 degree hardness was great for my usage, as it offered excellent pace on the ball while allowing for ease in control and placement.  I'll also muck around with a DHS 032 with 802 on a 1.5mm sponge, but I prefer the feeling of this setup.
JPen Jockey:
Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm (Andro Plasma 470 2.0mm)
Yasaka Musashi 9mm (Friendship Focus III)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

I find it strange when short forms are used in titles. For example why don't you use clipper instead of clip?

'Clips and pips" sounds so much better than "clippers and pippers"
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic