Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Big problem when warming up forehand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big problem when warming up forehand
    Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:00am
I'm having a problem when warming up that that's getting VERY annoying.
Basically the first 5 min of play I don't have ANY control over my forehand shot, so I have to start warming up with my BH. The problem is that when I do this the forehand doesn't "get started".

Some think this is a common problem, but my case is a bit extreme. Basically I have zero control to the point that I might keep hitting the net when I hit the first ball!!!
After a few minutes I get control of my arm and I can start rallying.

This is getting embarrassing, especially when I warm up when people that have never played me.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:04am
Always try to warm up your forehand first. Backhand can most of the time come naturally. Are you countering the ball or looping? 

Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:24am
No looping at first, just short forehands to get started, then I start looping.

It's very strange. At some point (after about 5min) something clicks and my usual game is back. It's annoying especially for the people I practice with. They just can't believe how bad I start. One day I hit the net 3 times in a row on the first shot -without bouncing on my side!
Obviously this is an issue in tourneys when you don't have much time to warm up.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:58am
i had the same problem like you,  i think its very much technique [well for me] and the angle of the blade, i recorded myself playing, and god the angle was like tennis raquet angle!!!! so maybe subconsciously u think its right but tis not?

or maybe its  a mental thing for you, confidence moreso in ur bh than fh?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 6:19am
you seem very interested in topics related to playing, are you having lots of problem with your game or something?
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 7:57am
Originally posted by LachlanTan LachlanTan wrote:

you seem very interested in topics related to playing, are you having lots of problem with your game or something?

very much so
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 8:13am
Speed glue your arm.
Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 9:42am
My guess is you're a self-taught player who has never learned proper strokes, am I right? It sounds like you don't know how to properly do a normal FH volley.

Here are some tips:
1. Make contact with the ball a little before the top of the bounce.
2. Your racket angle should be maybe 10-15 degrees lower than a perfectly vertical angle.
3. Simply stroke through the ball, paying attention to #1 and #2.

Common improper FH volleys are either (a) after the top of the bounce, or (b) racket angle is too closed.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 9:56am
im in the b) category...well for opening loops anyhow...
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 10:35am
@ Imzadine

Don't worry much about it at the moment. This is an extremely common problem among players who haven't played long enough to totally groove their strokes. After 3-4 years of playing this issue will be gone automatically because your subconscious has total control of your whole body. As long as your brain is still actively involved in your footwork or stroke production, you can't do much about this problem as your head is in the way.
After a couple of million forehand loops your head will be completely out of the business and this is the point when you are ready for tournaments. As long as you are thinking about anything during a match, you are *much* too slow with everything to be competitive and your consistency won't be good.
Don't worry, it's only a matter of practice and time.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Imzadim Imzadim wrote:

No looping at first, just short forehands to get started, then I start looping.

It's very strange. At some point (after about 5min) something clicks and my usual game is back. It's annoying especially for the people I practice with. They just can't believe how bad I start. One day I hit the net 3 times in a row on the first shot -without bouncing on my side!
Obviously this is an issue in tourneys when you don't have much time to warm up.

If you're waiting for your game/feel to just "click", it means that you rely on feel, and that you don't really have a conscious knowledge of your strokes. Allow me to explain.

If you know your strokes inside out (you know where you want the contact point to be, you know the angle of your racket, you know how hard to want to swing, etc.) then you don't rely on feel. Your strokes are deliberate, and you will not be a player that keeps putting the first 3 warm-up volleys into the net.

If you rely on your feel to click in a few minutes, you don't know your strokes very well. I used to be like this for services. When practicing services, I used to just throw up the ball and serve. I didn't think about it. I didn't plan where the ball should be when I make contact with it, didn't think about exactly how my racket angle should be, etc.

So when I practice the serve 50 times in a row, it feels great, like second nature, no mistakes. The next day, I try to do the same serve, and it's not coming out the same way. One day you're feeling it, the next day you're not.

Now when I serve, I plan out all the aspects of it. So the next day, or next week, or next month, I can do the same serve on command. Of course it still takes some warm-up to get full control of it. But at least I'm no longer confused at why I can't do my serves.

I believe this is what is happening in your case. You need a deliberate knowledge of your warm-up FH volley. Think of the two things I mentioned about contact point and racket angle. Once you pay attention to those things, and you get in the zone, then think again "Okay, what exactly am I doing that is right" with regards to any aspects of that stroke, and take mental note of it.

Then remember those things the next time you start.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 11:08am
It sounds like you are just not waken up yet. Since you start to function after a couple of mins.
If that's the case, I usually down an espresso before I start. If not, then I think you just need to practice more.

(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:32pm
dood u jus suck. jus keep playing at youll get the hang of it.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2008 at 5:46pm
To get things going, a little running and jumping before starting would help. You move your feet for 5-10min.
Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2008 at 4:38am
Thanks for all the comments! some very good ideas that I'm gonna try tomorrow.

Something else that I just realized is that recently (about 2-3 months) I changed my grip and now I hold the racket closer to the "V" in my hand. This was a suggestion from our group coach since I was favoring the FH too much. This issue with the warming up started to happen also recently and it might be related to it since, like somebody mention, my strokes aren't recorded to my mind yet (or muscle memory), so I actually have to think about them until I get the feel.

"Theman" mentioned that he was having the same problem and it was due to the racket angle, I'm pretty sure that my angle is too open at practice as well. I'm gonna try that. Someone else mentioned timing (you should hit the FH volley just before the the ball reaches the top) and that's probably part of the problem.

Anyway, I think the problems is a mix off all those suggestions and hopefully it will go away with more practice.

Thanks very much for the help, this is a great forum!!!

PS Yes, I have thought about speed gluing my arm. Not legal anymore, though...
LeavingBasement View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeavingBasement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2008 at 6:40am

Some ideas...

1)  Take some pre-warmup warmup time. Throw a few 'shadow srokes' imagine hitting the ball... long and smooth, get faster till the muscles are warm.

2) Myself I found I was sometimes concerntrating too much on the opponent when facing a new opponent, make sure you keep your eyes on the ball from the start and not watching him too much.

3) Try squeezing the racket handle a dozen times. Starting with too loose a grip can sometimes let the racket twist slightly on contact sending the ball down.

4) Finally making sure you are 'rocking' from the start. Most players develope a kind of rocking of their weight back and forth along with their arm stroke. Without the additional impetous of the body sway shots can fall short. 
"A beatiful thing is never perfect"
Leon Reid View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2008 at 8:42am
i was training with a nigerian international and she had a strange habit of doing the forhand shot at high speeds almost as if it was a punch, while we weree traveling to the hall for training, try it maybejust doing the stroke in shadow play while sitting in the car will help

another option is to be meesing around with a ball for a few minutes before going on the table - you know what i mean little flicks and so on on the forehand rubber
Seen it all done it all lost the t-shirt

Time is fikle so dont waste a second

Freinds are fikle but feel free 2 squander them

Blade:Clipper WRB
FH:Vario Soft
BH:Neos
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2008 at 1:04am
lol, im with drywater.    just play lots more and you'll get the hang of it
You're lucky I suck
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2008 at 1:39am

All I do is counter the ball, hitting right through to the wood of the blade and the rally keeps going

Ma_Long View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ma_Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2016 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Imzadim Imzadim wrote:

I'm having a problem when warming up that that's getting VERY annoying.
Basically the first 5 min of play I don't have ANY control over my forehand shot, so I have to start warming up with my BH. The problem is that when I do this the forehand doesn't "get started".

Some think this is a common problem, but my case is a bit extreme. Basically I have zero control to the point that I might keep hitting the net when I hit the first ball!!!
After a few minutes I get control of my arm and I can start rallying.

This is getting embarrassing, especially when I warm up when people that have never played me.

Any suggestions?

I have the same problem recently!

@Imazadim: Have you get this problem fixed? Pls share your experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic