Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

advice about 729 rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice about 729 rubbers
    Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:24pm
Hi ! I need a  advice about 729 rubbers. I am thinking to try a 729 rubbers, but  a zeropong has a lot. Which one is the best for spin loop,chop drive,smash.Maybe a 729 japan judo(soft), or Geo spin with  power sponge, or ?. Thank you for any advises.
Sponsored Links

creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:28pm

best advice i could give would be to stay away from 729 stuff all cheaply made and mediocure performing

if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:34pm
I like to play with brice speed FX, but the rubber is very expensive, why I am thinking about 729 rubbers.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 4:59pm
Have you tried Inspirit Quattro railroad?  That's a nice performing rubber, better than the 729s I've tried, admittedly not many, just focus I from the new stuff.  Focus I is nice too but IQ definately has more juice and more spin. 
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:05pm

creeder06 is plain wrong -- there are bad 729 sheets, sheets that are good at one thing, and decent all-around sheets -- just like any other brand.

most of them will play a superior short game: they will serve better, push better, and flat hit better then your average jap/ euro sheet. this comes at a cost, of course, in that almost none of them will loops as well as bryce FX (especially if they aren't speed glued; glue is a luxury on most euro sheets, and a necessity on harder-sponged chinese sheets)... this will be much more noticeable from further off the table.

it'd be much easier to suggest an alternative if you let us know a little more about your play style, ie: distance from table, penhold / shakehand, style, rubbers you have tried (and liked / didn't like), your blade, etc.

Without knowing your preferences, Cole at colestt.com has some of the more euro-style chinese equipment you can find, and has very reasonable shipping costs (and can point you in the right direction much more easily then myself).

Guessing blindly, his palio topsheet on a 40 degree quattro is good bang for the buck (especially if you glue / otherwise treat your sponge) and would be somewhat similiar, though with less top end speed (a concession you'll have to grow used to with chinese equipment, if you loop away from the table).

From zeropong, highpoint or Higher III (especially if you do glue / treat) would probably be the best bet.

If you want to use a different sheet for each side (say, to loop more on forehand, and chop more on backhand), or want more suggestions, just let us know a little more about how you play, and we'll be happy to help.

hope this helps,

- jack -
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:08pm
yeah, i'm leery of IQ -- i got a sheet from the first batch, and it was a tad hard for my taste (not to mention i put it on a blade that was definitely on the fast side for my style). now though, i'm sure it would be better...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:10pm
it also depends on your rating. thats alot things that you wants to do from any rubber and/or blade.
right now I'm using the LKT Torrent , its easy to get used to and its quality is consistant. you can do quite a bit (loop, loop drive, chop, slightly tacky top sheet) with this rubber.

JL
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:15pm
i am a firm believer in that you get what you pay for f you buy cheap you get cheap and so forth the only exception to the rule as for a TT goes is cole simply because he gets quality sponges and tops and you can ask him to put them together for you.
if you you buy 729 products straight up their quality is out of control one decent one terrible i dont like the risk reward factor so i stay away from it.
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:21pm
Thanks to everybody. I am playing more on mid distance. I want to finish the point right away. I am looper for both sides, my back hand is much stronger then FH. Long time ago I got a problems with my shoulder, so I can loop with my FH very good, but no more then 20 times. My rating is 1650.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:24pm

i've gotten dud tensors as well, i'd much prefer to have the topsheet come off a $14 Higher 3 then have a $49 Energy Xtra with no glue effect.

it goes into what i said before -- there are in fact certain sheets that are either A) bad -- bad for you style, bad for your blade, or just plain bad, or B) can be good, but lack consistency sheet to sheet (many 729 -- and other chinese -- sheets fall into this category)

it is a problem, no doubt there, but i find my Higher III on jap to be one of the highest quality sheets i buy, on average, tbh. if you like a good utility rubber (which i very much consider that sheet to be, glued up, akin to sriver EL or Mark V) getting one bad one out of ten is not too high a price to pay, imo.
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:30pm
I just called to zeropong. He offered me Gambler Aces high speed, or fasterIII German. What do you know about this rubbers?
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:32pm
i suffer much the same problem, in reverse.. i play pips on the backhand to keep myself from accelerating too much on that side.

knowing what blade you use would be awesome, some sheets just don't behave well on certain blades, and with a stiffer blade this is going to be especially noticeable with many of the chinese sheets (especially if you don't glue, as i've said)

mid distance is a bit of an issue with chinese sheets, i won't lie -- getting something as euro-ish as possible is problem what you want to do.. for your backhand, i'd go with:

-- Palio / LKT on quattro (colestt.com) - 2.2
-- Highpoint (zeropong / colestt.com) - 2.2
-- IQ (i'd say 35 degrees) - 2.0 or 2.2

if you like to serve more with your forehand, i'd say go with a little more tackiness, and focus on generating spin instead of speed on loops to help out with the shoulder (this has helped me immensely!):

-- Higher III (zeropong.com, i would recommend jap sponge)
-- Cream MRS (either)
-- RITC 2000 on MRS (zeropong) or cannon (1.5-2.0, thinner for more chopping / stability, thicker for more power)

if you get both of those from the same place (excluding highpoint), two sheets will set you back less then $30 -- quite a deal, especially if you find something you like...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:37pm
not a big fan of the faster III -- if i had to choose between the faster III german, and the higher III jap, i'd take the higher for pushing, looping, chopping, blocking, retrieving, call serving a tie, and give hitting to the faster.

didn't consider Aces, but from what you say i imagine it would suit you quite well (though, again, if you told us what blade you're using, we'd be better able to judge LOL). i'd say if you like to serve forehand, getting IQ from cole for your backhand, and get the higher III from tom for your forehand (though i imagine Cream MRS would do just as well, if you would like something a little stickier).

if you wanted to order both from tom, perhaps higher / cream for forehand, with Aces for backhand, would be a decent selection ( i know i wouldn't want something that sticky backhand -- very sensitive to spin -- but you play backhand-dominant, so that's a judgement call for you).
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:41pm
now that i see Aces is available in 1.5 / 1.8, if you wanted higher spin / lower speed loops, and more control in the short game / chops, maybe that would be a good choice on the forehand...
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 5:53pm
I have many blades. Now I am playing with Kreanga powerspin, all wood blade.  My second blade is TSP Hino-power carbon with yasaka Zap, 2.2 mm sponge. I would like to find similar with 729 rubbers. I am mixing serves.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:03pm
To this excellent survey I want to add that Focus I is pretty nice with good control (and not heavy at all). Focus III is heavier but spinnier and faster, especially if you boost it.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 6:17pm
I'd suggest playing with only 1 blade and learn everything about that blade. You'll be more consistant and confident in your shots since you'll know what you AND your blade can do.
By switching blades when you practice, you game and strokes will probably not improve much.
Just my 2 cents.

JL
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 8:16pm
it's true, if you can manage it

<-- suffers from chronic, likely fatal, EJ-itis

i'm sure you can find a good choice, i'd just stay away from Faster III, myself, unless you have a pretty flexy all-wood blade to put it on.

and / or a steady supply of glue -- just my 2 c on that
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 9:38pm
If you get Aces, I would get 2.2 for sure.  I have a sheet of 2.0 and it's deathly slow.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 9:43pm
Hi jt99sf,
I've played and still using 729 Higher III for 2 years, and loving them!
serves well with spins, chops well, easy to loop, smash ok. quite tacky top sheet with soft spong. I personal think it's the best in the 729's rubbers! Thus they are not expensive.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 10:54pm

ditto on all counts

Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 11:24pm
Thank you everybody for some of the advise. I will think about it. Thanks again.
Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 11:29pm
No problem, sorry for the many posts, hope you got something out of it. Do let us know how it goes!
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2008 at 11:36pm
I will. Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic