Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Senkoh?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Senkoh?
    Posted: 02/20/2008 at 1:22am
I'm a low-intermediate j-pen player trying to set up my first serious racket.  I tried my friend's Senkoh-1 and liked the solid feel of the uniply hinoki, so I think I'm looking for something around there. Looking around online though, I found that Butterfly Japan has a lot of Senkoh blades that I could actually get for cheaper (iruiru.com) than the Senkoh-1. Particularly, I'm considering the Senkoh-10 for its higher speed rating than the others.

Anyone know anything about these blades? Should I get a Senkoh-10 or do you have any better suggestions for a player of my level? If so, it'd be helpful to compare them to the senkoh-1, since I know what that feels like.

Basically I'd like a nice offensive hinoki-feel blade that won't be "over my head" if that should be a concern.
Sponsored Links

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 1:40am
Senkoh-1 is not quite a square Jpen.  Its shoulders are lower, wider.  Therefore it has a better balance and control compared to other square Jpen blades, such as Senkoh-10.  I'd highly recommend Senkoh-1 for developing Jpenners.  The Hinoki quality of Senkoh-1 is on par with that of Cypress-S.  If you play close to the table, Senkoh-1 is the one for you.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 8:33am
GKnight, what do you mean by "its shoulders are lower, wider"?
Is it towards the handle or towards the end of the bladeface ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 11:17am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

http://www.pingpong.tw has few pics. of Senkoh-1, it pretty sums up what GKnight has said. I remember my 1st Senkoh-1 light years ago, it was just so sweet and the quality of the Hinoki was 1st rated. I was just a kid n didn't really know how "precious" it was..It is probably now still being used by English coach as in those days over there, a Senkoh-1 was just so rare to come by. Too bad 4 me n just n still sweet for him.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 11:27am

It only looks that way.  The blade rolls in (the neck or some people call it shoulder) toward the handle.  The regular square Jpen does it slowly with a slope (forming almost a v-shape), but Senko-1 does it more of a horizontal way.  Therefore to maintain the same balance, the handle in Senkoh-1 is a bit shorter too.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 11:46am
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

http://www.pingpong.tw has few pics. of Senkoh-1, it pretty sums up what GKnight has said. I remember my 1st Senkoh-1 light years ago, my 1st Jpen was just so sweet and the quality of the Hinoki was 1st rated. I was just a kid n didn't really know how "precious" it was..It is probably now still being used by English coach as in those days over there, a Senkoh-1 was just so rare to come by. Too bad 4 me n just n still sweet for him.

I agree.  Senkoh-1 is a beauty.  It's the predecessor to Cypress-S.  It was Butterfly's top of the line Jpen.  Once I was shown a 20+ yr Senkoh-1, the grain pattern on it was the best I've ever seen.  I regret that I didn't take good care of mine and I cracked it.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 11:59am
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

....I agree.  Senkoh-1 it's a beauty.  It's the predecessor to Cypress-S.  It was Butterfly's top of the line Jpen.  Once I was shown a 20+ yr Senkoh-1, the grain pattern on it was the best I've ever seen.  I regret that I didn't take good care of mine and I cracked it.
those days almost all jpen players played wif Senkoh-1, it was the ONE, the only ONE ppl loved to own, and also almost all Cpen players played with that cheapy DHS someth'n...also my 1st Cpen.
All the rest of the ALMIGHTY jpens these days most probably derived from Senkoh-1. It wasn't that expensive..well..half of my late dad's then monthly wage, I guess.
dianium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 10:13pm

Wow, I guess I'll have to get the Senkoh-1 then.

It sounds like it's worth the extra 30 bucks, but do you think they still make them out of the same godly hinoki now? 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2008 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by dianium dianium wrote:

Wow, I guess I'll have to get the Senkoh-1 then.

It sounds like it's worth the extra 30 bucks, but do you think they still make them out of the same godly hinoki now? 

Although good raw Hinoki is getting harder to find, Butterfly still maintains the standards pretty well for its Senkoh series.  However the quality of Cypress-S/R and KTS has gone down.  You really have to be in person at the shop to hand pick your blade.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2008 at 6:08pm
I am sure that Senkoh from current production will have lower quality of woods. They would use the good quality material for a higher priced blade.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic