FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Warped Blade Redux - Borko Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warped Blade Redux - Borko Repairs
    Posted: 03/03/2008 at 2:13am
Some of you guys know I have a violin that is warped with "twist" - meaning each edge of the blade warps in a different direction making the whole thing S shaped when viewed from above.  It's understandable - Violin is a thin blade, mostly one ply with two very thin outer plies on either side, and with less glue used than normal.  I'm not sure of all the factors that causes blades to warp, but the artificial drying process big companies use apparently has a lot to do with it.

I sent the blade off to Borko telling him to do whatever it takes - the warping was truly too much for the blade to be usable.  He put the blade into his press , did some light sanding, and it was back to being straight.  Resurrected!

Unfortunately problems returned.  When the blade got here, after traveling cross country and sitting in a mail truck in freezing weather, some of the warpage had returned.  But I'm relieved that keeping the blade in my own makeshift press under better pressure has made it straight again (I tried clamping it before but didn't have anything flat / strong enough at the time).  I will keep the blade in the press when not playing to try to prevent the warpage from reappearing.

Anyway this is all beside the point.  Best part of the experience was dealing with Borko himself!  Such a friendly person, not only did he help me out of a bad situation but he was really pleasant to boot.  Took care of me even though I'm not a customer (yet!).  Just wanted to share that experience.

As for the violin, will put some JO Silvers on and give it a go in a few days.
Sponsored Links

shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2008 at 12:28pm
Thumbs%20Up
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2008 at 2:14am
Then it shows that Borko is a nice person. Did he pay the cost of sending the blade back to you ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2008 at 3:32am
Very nice person.

Compensation is an important question.  He didn't ask anything in return and shipped it right out as soon as it was done.  Nonetheless, I dropped him a check* for the time and return shipping, as best as I could figure anyway (who can really put a price on free time + expertise).  He's a professional and has a business to run.  But that was my choice, as I said he was more than happy to work on the blade, wrote back right away when I told him the story and kept in touch throughout the process.

* shhh, its in transit!
sbd1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 11:16pm
To Chronos:
Thanks for your kindness .I was glad to be of help.I know what it means to player to have  your main blade back and even that is not perfect at least you can use it now.Thumbs%20Up
Best regards,
Borko

***Power is Nothing Without Control***
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 9:53pm
Thank _you_ Borko, and welcome to the forum, great to have you here!!!
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2008 at 12:30am
wow borko u joined in 06?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic