Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A hoax? Complete ban of chemical treatment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ausquared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ausquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 1:43am
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

Originally posted by pongmaster pongmaster wrote:

rob,
the thing is, not everbody uses sriver the same way. Sometimes the tuners and speed glue is not beneficial to a players game, but let's say that is, and you're getting beat by someone only becuase he's glueing.  Then why don't you just glue yourself?
Tuned Sriver > Sriver
Tuned Sriver = Tuned Sriver

But Thats the point exactly, I'm trying to make.

If everyone had tuned sriver there would be no advantage, the better player would win. Yes Or NO.

So if everyone had untuned sriver, or MarkV or Geospin, or Inspirit it would go down to skill.

And if you thought that the rubber beat you, all you would have to do is buy that sheet and try it.

See where i'm coming from.

Tensors are going to be faster, spinnier, better than a regular sheet of sriver or markv or whatever, so yes that's true all you would have to do is go out and buy a sheet, but it's also more expensive. Plus, why does there need to be a rule for it? The rule, if it actually does ban tuners/boosters isn't leveling the playing field, it just forces people to look for yet other alternatives, which at this point is tensor rubbers.

What's the difference between using a tuned/glued rubber and one with a tuned/glue effect already built in, from a fairness standpoint? I agree it would make things more simple if everyone played a rubber straight out of the package, but it's not more fair by any means.
Sponsored Links

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Ausquared Ausquared wrote:

rob,
the thing is, not everbody uses sriver the same way. Sometimes the tuners and speed glue is not beneficial to a players game, but let's say that is, and you're getting beat by someone only becuase he's glueing.  Then why don't you just glue yourself?
Tuned Sriver > Sriver

If everyone had tuned sriver there would be no advantage, the better player would win. Yes Or NO.

So if everyone had untuned sriver, or MarkV or Geospin, or Inspirit it would go down to skill.

And if you thought that the rubber beat you, all you would have to do is buy that sheet and try it.

Tensors are going to be faster, spinnier, better than a regular sheet of sriver or markv or whatever, so yes that's true all you would have to do is go out and buy a sheet, but it's also more expensive. Plus, why does there need to be a rule for it? The rule, if it actually does ban tuners/boosters isn't leveling the playing field, it just forces people to look for yet other alternatives, which at this point is tensor rubbers.

What's the difference between using a tuned/glued rubber and one with a tuned/glue effect already built in, from a fairness standpoint? I agree it would make things more simple if everyone played a rubber straight out of the package, but it's not more fair by any means.

How can you say it wont be fair by any means, is it because the Tensors are expensive.

In Australia a Sheet of Sriver sells for about 45.00, and so Do many Tensors, why would you tune a sheet of sriver instead of buying a quality Tensor.

A fully glued Sriver is still about 10 - 15 % better than any tensor on the market, So I suggest thats the real reason why some people still want to use them.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 3:24am

rob,
Tuned Sriver > Sriver

rob,
so we should all just use one universal rubber? Even if we play with it straight out of the package, some rubbers will still be better than others. And this would only apply to the opponent of the exact same style and game.  I wouldn't mind the equipment if my opponent was identical to me. We could use hardbat or frictionless long pips and that would still bring it down to skill.  But if im a two winged looper and am playing a chopper, penholder, or a counterdriver, then what would be the "standard" equipment. 
Do you get my point?
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 3:26am
feint II=Bryce???
Tackifire c=sriver??
tuned sriver=speedy po???
you know what I mean?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 3:44am

rob,
so we should all just use one universal rubber? Even if we play with it straight out of the package, some rubbers will still be better than others. And this would only apply to the opponent of the exact same style and game.  I wouldn't mind the equipment if my opponent was identical to me. We could use hardbat or frictionless long pips and that would still bring it down to skill.  But if im a two winged looper and am playing a chopper, penholder, or a counterdriver, then what would be the "standard" equipment. 
Do you get my point?

Your Missing the point Here,
I'm not saying that we should all use the same rubbers, But with such a variety out there why do we have to tune the sponges to get an extra advantage - Where will it stop.

If you think that I beat you because I played with Plasma, then go out and buy plasma, if it makes you better - thats good. See what I mean.

If I think you beat me because you tuned your sponge, (Super Charged or Turbo Charged), then I should go out and Tune my sponge as well.

In car racing - Generally Turbo charged Cars race against Turbo Charged Cars.Wink  Get what I mean.

I think most people tune their rubbers because it gives them an advantage, not that its against the rules at the moment.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

topspinschuss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 5:21am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

What ITTF will be saying with that rule is the following: if you, the player, will try to do with paraffin oil (spending just a few extra dollars worth of the stuff over the entire year) the same thing that Butterfly is trying to do with High-Tune Bryce (and charging you $80 for that) then you will be punished, thrown out of the tournaments, and made an example of... but it's all for the good of the sport!

You have hit the nail on the head. The timing of this tuner ban gives away it's purpose. It's just been a few months since all the table tennis companies brought out their latest tuners (and some, like Yasaka, about to bring out theirs) declaring how they are all ITTF compliant and *will be legal after the speed glue ban*.   Then, we discovered, in Germany, that Lamp Oil works just as well or even better than any speed glue and/or tuner (whoever says that it does not work, does not know how to use it and probably overdid it and got a "overtuned" effect) and that you can get an almost lifetime supply of the lamp oil for just a few bucks.  I introduced the Lamp Oil tuning method to North America (in my club in San Diego) and it was posted here on the forum by various people (with links to Borko's website where one of my pictures with one of the rubbers that I tuned is shown all curled up etc...).

Finally, there is information on the internet that confirms that the commercial tuners are made up of just about the same stuff that Lamp Oil is made of. So, the lamp oil tuning method is a true and *tested* alternative to speed gluing and it is spreading like a wildfire all over the world.

Now, this is what most likely happened:  The big table tennis companies, who are undoubtedly reading both the German and English language forums, saw their future tuner and glue-effect rubber profits disappear in front of their eyes (thanks to the Lamp Oil, which is perfectly legal..so far) .  These guys were hoping that we would be dumb enough to pay $40.00 for 100 ml of tuner or $40-$80+ for "glue-effect" rubbers, if we can buy a lifetime supply of *better* tuner at walmart for $3.43 for 64 ounces (about 1.9 LITERS!!)!! Off they go to the ITTF and demand a ban on *all* tuners to at least save the "glue-effect" rubber market. 

We can't let this kind of corruption and shoulder-rubbing happen and just go along with it.  I encourage everyone to go out and buy the Lamp Oil (in North America it's Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil made by Lamplight/Tiki), learn how to tune with it and continue tuning disregarding this stupid, unfair and corrupt ruling. It's a 100% LEGAL (vapor pressure WAY under 0.3 mbar) replacement of speed gluing and works at *least* 100% as well as speed gluing (in my opinion even better).  We should do this as a sign of protest to show that the ITTF and the table tennis company lobbyist cannot just do whatever they want to the sport to increase/secure future profits. 

It would be understandable if rubbers came out that replace speed gluing 100% at a *reasonable price*, but that is not the case. None of the glue-effect rubbers replaces speed gluing and they cost a fortune. This new ruling is trying to force us to continue paying big bucks for inadequate rubbers, that, most likely, don't even cost all that much more to produce than regular rubbers like Sriver, Mark V etc..

There is absolutely NO Explanation given why, all of a sudden, all tuners will be banned. There is no more health risk in using Lamp Oil than handling most household cleaners and it's hell of a lot more "healthy" than using nasty speed glue. Unless you drink it or smear it all over yourself you will be fine.  So, if health is not an issue and if the ITTF already decided that it's "healthy enough" for people if tuners have a vapor pressure below 0.3 mbar (which Ultra-Pure Lamp Oil does), then there is no real valid reason to ban tuning rubbers.

So, let's just show the ITTF and the table tennis companies that they can't do whatever they want to us and the sport of table tennis.  Let's continue using Lamp Oil as it works, is 100% legal and does not damage your health if not drunk or used as a lotion. Join the protest! Ignore this stupid, corrupt rule!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 5:31am
Originally posted by topspinschuss topspinschuss wrote:

Join the protest! Ignore this stupid, corrupt rule!

How ridulous , Confused Rules are there not to make more profits for the table tennis companies - but to make the sport fairer for all.
Butterfly is probably the largest table tennis manufacturer and they have no problems selling $80.00 rubbers - Not that I agree with that.

One other reason is to make the sport more viewable by the general public. Then we might get better participation.Smile

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 8:12am

How ridulous , Confused Rules are there not to make more profits for the table tennis companies - but to make the sport fairer for all.
Butterfly is probably the largest table tennis manufacturer and they have no problems selling $80.00 rubbers - Not that I agree with that.

One other reason is to make the sport more viewable by the general public. Then we might get better participation.Smile

Oh, so now it's about making the sport more viewable? That's a new one, Rob...

Tell me how exactly this is going to make it more viewable -  7 years have passed after 2001-2002 changes which were supposed to make TT more viewable, more telegenic, slower etc.

Where is ESPN showing table tennis at all hours of night (or day)? How many hours of TT do you get in Australia?

C'mon, mate, you are grasping at straws for arguments here...

As for your argument of overall fairness - I can just repeat what I said before... there are hundreds (almost thousands) of different rubbers. How exactly using a dirt-cheap tuner will cause some people to have unfair advantage over the others? why exactly buying an $80 super-charged Bryce doesn't translate into having that advantage but having used a few grams of PO or CO or EO on your rubber is unfair?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 5:22pm

Oh, so now it's about making the sport more viewable? That's a new one, Rob...

Tell me how exactly this is going to make it more viewable -  7 years have passed after 2001-2002 changes which were supposed to make TT more viewable, more telegenic, slower etc.

Where is ESPN showing table tennis at all hours of night (or day)? How many hours of TT do you get in Australia?

C'mon, mate, you are grasping at straws for arguments here...

As for your argument of overall fairness - I can just repeat what I said before... there are hundreds (almost thousands) of different rubbers. How exactly using a dirt-cheap tuner will cause some people to have unfair advantage over the others? why exactly buying an $80 super-charged Bryce doesn't translate into having that advantage but having used a few grams of PO or CO or EO on your rubber is unfair?

Firstly Jim, we have 0 hours of TT on our TV stations in Australia at the moment.

The ITTF tried to make the sports more viewable with the introduction of the 40mm ball - but that failed dismally, as most of us adjusted in a very short time.

The unfair advantage - is due to the fact that you are modifying something that is supposed to be ITTF approved. Thats one of the stupid rules that the ITTF allowed to happen, (Although there are rules that stop this type of behavior, but they are never enforced).  From what you keep saying, you just want a free rule to do whatever you want.  How can this be good for the sport.

le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 6:43pm
lol ^^ even by applying different types of legal glue or by cutting the rubbers different ways you will be "modifying something that is supposed to be ITTF approved" does that give you an unfair advantage rob??
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 6:48pm
Rob,

it seems as if you are agreeing with me that basically all changes that ITTF made to the rules were stupid, ill-conceived and ultimately didn't help the sport at all. Then you turn around and say, ok, this time this will help... very very doubtful, imho.

As for "free to do whatever I want" - yes, within standard, old, common sense rules, that have proven themselves over more than hundred years, we should be allowed to play with whatever we want.

The restrictions that are natural - like prohibition to use sandpaper because it damages the ball and can even damage the opponent's paddle - are quite acceptable. Even ban on the VOC glues can be treated as a proper decision when you look at it from the common sense point of view.

All restrictions which are imposed because it is alleged that they can "damage" the game - like 4 mm thickness restriction, or like 85% wood restriction are quite unnatural, in my opinion, and should not be there at all. If you want to play with 100-plastic racket, you should be allowed to do that. If you want to put 5 kilos of rubber on your paddle, please do as long as those kilos are not flying out off your racket and hurting people around you.

The only permissible restrictions are the ones which prevent damage to the equipment and to the health of the players. Perhaps I forgot something but I am sure you catch my drift...

tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 8:13pm

This has got please people like Marty Reisman. I kicked his can a few years ago while he was the top seed in our group during the Nationals. He said if it were up to him, the table would be longer and the net higher.

We're going to be regulated to the point that that Badminton will be our only outlet if you don't want to play four-hour matches(Tennis) or risk getting clobbered by your team mate(Raquetball).  Life is beginnig to suck.
easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 8:18pm
I don't see how CTE will be banned. There is nothing on the ittf website from what I have seen.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by le xex le xex wrote:

lol ^^ even by applying different types of legal glue or by cutting the rubbers different ways you will be "modifying something that is supposed to be ITTF approved" does that give you an unfair advantage rob??

Your missing the point, I know that there are lots of legal Glue's etc,

The point I'm talking about, is ITTF approve rubbers, then we are allowed to modify them to something differant.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 10:20pm

Rob,

it seems as if you are agreeing with me that basically all changes that ITTF made to the rules were stupid, ill-conceived and ultimately didn't help the sport at all. Then you turn around and say, ok, this time this will help... very very doubtful, imho.

As for "free to do whatever I want" - yes, within standard, old, common sense rules, that have proven themselves over more than hundred years, we should be allowed to play with whatever we want.

The restrictions that are natural - like prohibition to use sandpaper because it damages the ball and can even damage the opponent's paddle - are quite acceptable. Even ban on the VOC glues can be treated as a proper decision when you look at it from the common sense point of view.

All restrictions which are imposed because it is alleged that they can "damage" the game - like 4 mm thickness restriction, or like 85% wood restriction are quite unnatural, in my opinion, and should not be there at all. If you want to play with 100-plastic racket, you should be allowed to do that. If you want to put 5 kilos of rubber on your paddle, please do as long as those kilos are not flying out off your racket and hurting people around you.

The only permissible restrictions are the ones which prevent damage to the equipment and to the health of the players. Perhaps I forgot something but I am sure you catch my drift...

Imagine if what your saying was applied to other sports - Motor Racing, Boxing, Pole Vaulting.

Imagine if I made a pole Vault that help me jump a little higher, That would be fare.

Imagine if I treated my boxing gloves so they also hurt more per punch.

Imagine if I increased the flow of my Turbo Charge to give me more horsepower, yet only stipulate a certain flow rate (Our 4mm rule, which was designed for manufacturers, Not players).

There are probably lots more example's to go by, but I'm sure you will have an answer for each, not that I object - its a free world we both live in, thats why you choose to treat & I choose to not. That doesn't make you an evil person, it just makes us different.

These discussions are very important, This is what the ITTF Committee's should be doing, getting people from all over the world @ all level to determine which direction our game should head in, and come up with 100% decisive and enforcible set of rules.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 11:08pm

rob,
Do you get my point?

Your Missing the point Here,
I'm not saying that we should all use the same rubbers, But with such a variety out there why do we have to tune the sponges to get an extra advantage - Where will it stop.

If you think that I beat you because I played with Plasma, then go out and buy plasma, if it makes you better - thats good. See what I mean.

If I think you beat me because you tuned your sponge, (Super Charged or Turbo Charged), then I should go out and Tune my sponge as well.

In car racing - Generally Turbo charged Cars race against Turbo Charged Cars.Wink  Get what I mean.

I think most people tune their rubbers because it gives them an advantage, not that its against the rules at the moment.
rob,
so what if i you beat me everytime when you use plasma and I use sriver and you beat me when we both use plasma, but when we both use sriver, i win every time.  I would deem you the better player.
Players like to use an equipment setup that best compliments their style.  If played my best pong using sriver and you using plasma, then the victor would still be decided by skill.  For some players glueing doesn't give them the advantage and for some players glueing is more advantagous than for other players.  
also, what about the other styles of play, the defensive, the choppers?  They like to use equipment that lets them play the best, and for them, that rubber isn't a tuned inverted rubber.

oh and the car racing theory
in car racing the only way to win is to go fast which is what tuning would do, make you hit powerfully and fast.  but in ping pong, you can win by playing slow (choppers) and playing with control too. 

so let me ask you this question, I (a looper who benefits from glueing/tuning) use a tuned rubber to play a chopper who uses long pips 100 times and win 50%.  I play the same chopper with long pips another 100 times using untuned, unglued, sriver and win 10%.  I play the same chopper another 100 times but this time he's using inverted to chop and i use tuned rubber to play him and win 90%. who's the better player?Wink

my point?
when two players are playing each other and are using the equipment that allow them to play the best possible, the game is still determined by skill not equipment. 

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 11:10pm
as for public viewing, the answer to that is to add more choppers to the game.  how? change the diameter height ratio on long pips.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 11:12pm

Rob,

Imagine if what your saying was applied to other sports - Motor Racing, Boxing, Pole Vaulting.

Imagine if I made a pole Vault that help me jump a little higher, That would be fare.

Imagine if I treated my boxing gloves so they also hurt more per punch.

Imagine if I increased the flow of my Turbo Charge to give me more horsepower, yet only stipulate a certain flow rate (Our 4mm rule, which was designed for manufacturers, Not players).

There are probably lots more example's to go by, but I'm sure you will have an answer for each, not that I object - its a free world we both live in, thats why you choose to treat & I choose to not. That doesn't make you an evil person, it just makes us different.

These discussions are very important, This is what the ITTF Committee's should be doing, getting people from all over the world @ all level to determine which direction our game should head in, and come up with 100% decisive and enforcible set of rules.
this is based on
glueing/tuning=better player, which is not nessecarily true

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2008 at 12:00am
You are still missing the point, even with all your explanations - The one with the racing cars does not make sense. You are saying that more power equals Win, You still need skill to achieve this.

Now if I beat you with Plasma, whilst your using sriver, it might mean I'm a better player, Then you go and put a sheet of plasma on your blade - do some serious training, we play again & the same result, then again I'm the better player. But if after training with the Plasma, you beat me - Then its obvious that the plasma has improved your game & now you are the better player.

Adding Glue to your sriver changes everything - As you and everyone elso knows - no Tensor matches the effects of speedglue 100%. So who then has the advantage. ---- As I said before its just a viscous circle that players like yourself keep getting into, and then we have to follow.

Thats why all the Top Players use it - Because they know without it they would not be able to compete at their level.

And its no good quoting my comments if they are irrelevant to your answer.

le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2008 at 1:38am

The point I'm talking about, is ITTF approve rubbers, then we are allowed to modify them to something differant.

apparently everybody is missing your so called "point" and based on the quoted post it doesn't even make any sense Ouch
martinspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2008 at 3:16am
Hey JimT

Here is the email I have just sent to the same ITTF official. I hope that you will agree with me that this was the proper respectful letter, and you are behind me in asking the questions posted there.

Did Mr. Lineros answered to your email?

Cheers. Martin
Cheers, Martin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2008 at 4:26am

apparently everybody is missing your so called "point" and based on the quoted post it doesn't even make any sense Ouch

What part doesn't make sense, The fact that we Take ITTF approved rubbers, and then we modify them to somethink completely differant.

1. By Applying tuners to the Sponge or TopSheet.

Does that make more sense. Confused

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2008 at 8:20am
Originally posted by martinspin martinspin wrote:

Hey JimT

Here is the email I have just sent to the same ITTF official. I hope that you will agree with me that this was the proper respectful letter, and you are behind me in asking the questions posted there.

Did Mr. Lineros answered to your email?

Cheers. Martin

Nope, not yet.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2008 at 4:47pm
I got the copy of this letter a bit late - sorry, igorponger! Here is the contents:

===========================

Dear Mr Novick

In answer to your questions:

1  The final wording has yet to be drafted by the Rules Committee but it will be essentially the same as in the footnote to the proposition submitted to the AGM.  The intention is to make clear that the characteristics of authorised racket coverings must not be altered deliberately by physical or chemical treatment.

2  It is unlikely that an umpire will be able to detect many of the possible changes.  However, at all major ITTF events there is a racket control team with equipment that can measure the characteristics of coverings and an umpire or referee who has a doubt about a particular racket can refer it to this team for examination.

3  This rule affects primarly the outer pimpled rubber layer, as the sponge layer is not subject to ITTF authorisation.  However, there is concern about  materials such as "speed boosters" and it is possible that  measures will be taken to control these also.  At present it appears that they are most  likely to expand the sponge layer, causing the thickness of the covering to be over the legal limit and this, of course, can be detected without special equipment.

The new Handbook should be published by the end of July and I hope this  will make the situation clear.  With best wishes,

Colin Clemett

----- Original Message -----
To: Colin Clemett <xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 10:15 PM
Subject: Latest ITTF`s amendments to the Game Rule 2.4 (The Racket).......

> To Mr. Colin Clemett
> ITTF`s Advisory Board Official
> -----------------------------------
>
>
>        Dear Colleague,
>
>   Could you give some more elucidation on the most recent decision by
> ITTF  to modify the Rule paragrath  2.4.3.1  ???
>
> http://urlcut.com/agm2008 -- Proposition #7
>
> 1. What is a final wording of the paragrath2.4 ??
>
> 2. How could an Umpire understand whether a player modifies his rubber > intentionally or it was just the "natural wear-tear" ??
>
> 3. Does the new Rule affect the
> Rubber Sheet only,  or the Sponge Layer as well.??  I mean will the use
> of "Speed Boosters"  still valid after September 1, 2008 ???
>
> Many thanks  in anticipation
> Igor NOVICK
>
> Umpire`s Board within regional TT-Assoiation
> RUSSIA
>
>

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2008 at 4:50pm
So basically now you can see that, as it was noted before, this is intended for pips-out only, and for regular smooth rubber they are only concerned about 4mm thickness rule. Sponge is not subject to ITTF regulation (so far)therefore they cannot prevent you from using tuners.

Conclusion: tuners/boosters are not made illegal by this rule. However, as always, ITTF is thinking about making our life a bit more simple, so there are at least tentative plans to look into the tuners/boosters in some near future.

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 7:10am
There are good points on both sides of this argument. I just barely started experimenting with PO and found it kind of fun, but other than that haven't used speed glue. I understand why ittf would make regulations to maintain the stability and safety of the game (ie sandpaper, voc) but it seems they're going a bit overboard.
Tuners don't give an unfair advantage to one player over another because tuners are available to all and each player must adapt their play style to utilize the speed spin boost.
My main argument though is a failure to see the logic in banning tuners/booster for the sake of "slowing down the game" while allowing companies to sell pretensioned rubbers with near the same attributes but at a huge price markup.
I like the effect of PO on my mark v ad so I'll probably keep using it after the ban since i don't plan on playing in any international competitions.
bonzai
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 10:59am
Originally posted by esnift esnift wrote:

Tuners don't give an unfair advantage to one player over another because tuners are available to all and each player must adapt their play style to utilize the speed spin boost.

But They do give an advantage.

My main argument though is a failure to see the logic in banning tuners/booster for the sake of "slowing down the game" while allowing companies to sell pretensioned rubbers with near the same attributes but at a huge price markup.

Pretensioned rubbers are not sold at the Huge price markup that you state. In fact German Built rubbers are very reasonable in Price for the A1 Quality that you get.

I dont hear anyone mention how much the Research & development costs are for these rubbers.

Another point that you forget is: These rubbers are played without any tampering by the player.

And just a hint for those that still believe that the Ban on Sponge tuners and treatments will not go ahead. I spoke with one of the manufacturers, last night and I was told that they believe that the ITTF will introduce a ban, to co-incide with the Speed glue ban in Sept. Sorry for those that have spent the time tryng to find a replacement. I hope for you sake's it doesn't go through. Cry

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 11:12am
F3 big slam is only $30 from TTP right now; F3 regular just $27!
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 1:31am

But They do give an advantage.

They give an advantage only if it benefits your play style. I won't waste time on examples, but is not really an advantage because people who want to use it can use it. It's no different than simply buying a faster rubber; it's of no benefit unless that player can utilize the speed increase. For me it's like saying a more skilled player than myself has an unfair advantage against me because they are better (it's not unfair, it's just the way things are and I have the ability to change the situation by improving my own skill).

Pretensioned rubbers are not sold at the Huge price markup that you state. In fact German Built rubbers are very reasonable in Price for the A1 Quality that you get.

I dont hear anyone mention how much the Research & development costs are for these rubbers.

I didn't explain my point here very well. Coming from a background using Chinese and Japanese rubbers, I would much rather but a national edition globe 999 and tune it with PO to get the feel/speed/spin I like for a total cost of $15 as opposed to $40-$60 a sheet for a pretensioned rubber being a poor college student. I didn't mean to say there was an unnecessary mark-up or that they weren't worth the cost, simply that they are more than I would like to pay for the effect I want.

Another point that you forget is: These rubbers are played without any tampering by the player.

I didn't forget the point about players tampering with rubber. That was the point I was trying to make. A rubber has certain qualities that are inherent with and without treating it, ie h3 provincial. People aren't getting a crazy different rubber each time a different person tunes it, it will always play a certain way when tuned (more or less). "Tampered" puts such a negative connotation on it, I would say "enhancing the natural characteristics."Wink

I understand the principle behind not wanting people to change the characteristic of the rubber that was approved by ITTF, it just smacks over-regulation. It's as if the end goal is to have everyone use pre-assembled bats with rubber permanently attached and all the same characteristics. The variation and complex nature of the sport is what attracts me the most. It was incredibly frustrating playing against an opponent that used frictionless rubber but I don't think that should be banned either.

In the end it doesn't really matter though because I don't foresee myself playing in an international competition and if I do I'll be good enough that switching over to pretensioned rubber would not be a problem in any aspect. I'm just saying I'm against the principle of it.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 9:39am
Thanks, esnift. Basically, this is the same argument and the same points I have been making all over. It's nice to get another free-thinker on my side. My guess is that many people prefer the ban because it will make their life simpler and they don't like (perhaps only subconsciously) the idea that the other people would have advantage over them simply because they are willing to spend their time and efforts working over their rubbers - they'd rather everybody conformed to their "relaxed" style... and ITTF ban is the kind of bureaucratic law from above that will release them from this.

I am also a relaxed, and even somewhat lazy, guy who doesn't necessarily enjoy the necessity of CTE treatment every 3-4 weeks but I don't think I should impose my idea of what can be done with rubbers on everyone else.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic