Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nimbus & Plasma 470 vs. glued Sriver Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nimbus & Plasma 470 vs. glued Sriver Q&A
    Posted: 03/08/2008 at 8:24pm
Can anybody with experience with those rubbers, answer few questions:
1. What is a percieved softness/hardness of Nimbus and Plasma 470 compared to glued/unglued Sriver L?
2. How those rubbers compare to glued/tuned Sriver L?
3. How long the speed-glue effect lasts?
Sponsored Links

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 9:58pm
Bumping up. I hope somebody plays Nimbus or Plasma?
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 10:04pm
I've only used the softer versions of these rubbers (Plasma 430 and 380, Nimbus Sound, and Sriver FX).  Nimbus Sound is out of this world, with the Plasma series not too far behind.  Nimbus Sound is the first rubber I've played with no need to speedglue or tune.  (Joola Tango is my second favorite.)  If you're on the fence about trying one, I'd go for the Nimbus series first.
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 10:10pm
Thanks Seasterl.
Do you play long enough with those rubbers to attempt to answer the question of how long the speed-glue/tunning effect lasts?
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2008 at 10:41pm
About four months and going well.  The Tango has been the most used and it's getting near the end of it's wear life (just due to a lot of use), and yet it's "effects" are still there.  Plasma's effects are there, too.  Both Plasma and Tango are not exactly durable rubbers when you knick the edge of the table on a serve.  Some rubbers hold up well, but these are not the most durable in that sense.  However, their built-in speedglue effects seem to be lasting as long as the topsheet lasts.  I've only been using the Nimbus Sound for a couple weeks now.  I play about three hours at the club each week and about thirty minutes of robot training every day (about twenty minutes serving).  I clean all rubbers after each use.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2008 at 3:31am
How is the durability of the nimbus so far, better than the previous generation of rubbers?

I am using f3, I like it, but I see what people mean about durability, it really takes a beating when you scuff it.
threshkreen2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threshkreen2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2008 at 4:59am
I nicked the edge of my Nimbus Sound last December. I felt really bad as I only purchased it in late November. Lo and behold, it's March and the darned thing is holding up well. :) I play a minimum of 3 times a week, so I guess you could say the Nimbus sound is durable.
amultart
FH: Tibhar Sinus Max
BH: Tibhar Nimbus Sound Max
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2008 at 9:14am
Still would love to know about how soft the regular Nimbus or Plasma 470 feels in terms of other rubbers (Sriver being a common benchmark). I like med, med/hard rubbers and I hope Nimbus/Plasma 470 are similar to Sriver L. Is that true?
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2008 at 1:03pm
no they are not close,
Plasma 470 is a touch Softer than Sriver EL imo
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 12:09am
Thanks much asr.
Are you referring to glued/tuned Sriver EL or plain out of the box?
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 12:27am
I have been using nimbus regular for over 3 months now, 2/3 times a week, holding up well so far and the effect doesn't seem to be fading or anything yet. 
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 12:36am
Thx everest81. That is encouraging. How soft/hard does the Nimbus feel?
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 1:25am
feels reasonable soft, i dont have much experience with variety of rubbers to compare with though..
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by 7plywood 7plywood wrote:

Thanks much asr.
Are you referring to glued/tuned Sriver EL or plain out of the box?
 2 layer glued EL would still be a touch harder than 470
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
dynamisoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynamisoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2008 at 10:35pm
Just tried my new Nimbus today, had about 3 hours of play.  This rubber is very good indeed.  It really feels like a good speed-glued sriver.   The topsheet is elastic and has good spin too.  and the power is there when you need it.  I have to say the feel of this rubber is what impressed me the most.  it just feels great when looping at mid distance.  and smashing is so clean..
sound probably isn't important to some people but, sure sounds great.

i had some long rallies far off the table, and counter attacking was very good.  i was producing more spin than my opponent.

Ultimately l'm very satisfied with this rubber.  for me, it is the closest thing to a speed-glued rubber. ...   Highly Recommend
YINHE V14 PRO
FH/BH YINHE MOON PRO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic