Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

There is a big problem in tuning process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alpali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There is a big problem in tuning process
    Posted: 03/14/2008 at 3:57am

Hi,

I think, all of us are missing most important thing. Everybody can dome rubbers with PO,CTE,SOO,Donic Boost etc.
If you tune rubber, it will stretch so we must cut edge in terms of ITTF rules. There is no problem at this point. After a week you will need to tune rubber again, the problem begins at this point rubber will stretch again. If we apply this process for several times, the characteristc of rubber will change and we will need to buy a new rubber again in short time. Manufacturers do not mention about this problem. Any idea?

Sponsored Links

Pejantan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pejantan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 4:44am
no pain no gain bro......
alpali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 5:09am
What do you mean?
Pejantan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pejantan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 5:22am
i mean there's always a risk  when we  do something  to the rubber,  but for me, as long as i get benefit (instead of shortened the life span)...that was ok for me.....
Aeros 1975 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeros 1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 5:23am
alpali: most of tunners give you effect about 2-3 weeks. then it�s time for another tunning, you cut edge and will play for 1-2 weeks again and at this moment it�s time to glue new rubber.
ps: when rubber after tunning is thorougly dry, should not stretch so much
Ignito & Tenergy 05

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 6:18am
When you're tuning for 2nd, 3rd or etc. times you are not supposed to put as much tuner as the first time. Just a couple of layers to flatten the negative dome will be enough. This way the rubber will keep the approx. same size. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2008 at 10:07am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

When you're tuning for 2nd, 3rd or etc. times you are not supposed to put as much tuner as the first time. Just a couple of layers to flatten the negative dome will be enough. This way the rubber will keep the approx. same size. 

I do however notice that even when i only put one layer of CTE, I still need to cut off a little bit at the edges. I did 4 regluings of my Srivers FX and each time I had to cut, sometimes only 2 mm but still...

It could be due to the original softness of Srivers FX but the problem is there. You cannot keep on going like that for too long - but then again if you play a lot then you should change your rubbers 2 or even 3 times a year anyway.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2008 at 12:22am

I am now putting a lot of CTE in the first time and then retuning with only enough CTE to reduce the negative dome (that arises after the initial tuning ages somewhat) just a bit.   I don't bother tuning it back to flat since the rubber was stretched enough on the first go, I don't need but a very little touch up to keep the sheet playing well.   That way I don't really cause it to stretch more during retuning . 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic