Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Borko jpen blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chris06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borko jpen blade
    Posted: 03/15/2008 at 12:52am
I just received a jpen blade from Borko.  It's an all+/off- blade.

My former blade was an avalox hinoki/aramid jpen blade.  I'm using inspirit quattro for both blades.  Initially, the borko blade was frustrating.  I had a very difficult time getting my shots in, and on top of that, it was noticeably slower.  However, after several hours, I realized that the problem was due to the racket shape.  I had always used a traditional rectangular jpen blade and hence the weight distribution and sweet spot was different from the hybrid jpen handle/chinese racket shape blade that Borko sent me.  Once I started getting used to the new weight distribution, I found that the Borko blade had significantly more control.  While it is slower for loops and I don't feel that I have more control when fast looping than I do with my old blade, the short game is miles better with the borko blade.  I had an extremely difficult time executing short spinny pushes with my old blade.  The borko blade makes that shot much eaiser.  Slow looping is definitely a lot easier with the Borko blade than the avalox blade, but that's not a shot that I use very often.  Blocking is also a lot easier, and serving short is a breeze now. 

That being said, at the moment, I still feel that the sweet spot of the borko blade is smaller than the avalox blade.  I'm not sure if that's due to the fact that I'm not completely used to the racket shape or if it's due to the carbon in the avalox blade which creates a bigger sweet spot. 

I haven't weighed both blades, but my initial impression is that the weight is pretty similar with the borko blade being slightly lighter. 

In terms of quality of finish, I have absolutely zero complaints.  I've read on the forum before that borko's blades weren't well finished, but the blade I got was perfect. 

I'm very happy with the blade, and I've just emailed borko asking if he can make another blade very similar to what he sent me.  It's too bad that I didn't just order 2 blades on the first go around.

Sponsored Links

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2008 at 2:20am
nice, would love to see a picture.
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
sbd1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2008 at 9:09pm
Chris blade is similar to this one.
Borko&Son
***Power is Nothing Without Control***

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2008 at 11:14pm
Borko Penhold has particular shape which is different from other brand. However I did not have the same experience like Chris06. I liked the blade right away (mine is 72 grams)
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 4:29am
thanks for the pic borko, the blade itself sort of looks like hybrid of cpen and jpen, head is like cpen but handle is like jpen...
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 4:49am
Borko, that blade looks sealed. Do you delivered blades already sealed? Mine was not sealed when I received it.
And it seems like black sticky paper on the backhand side. Do you deliver it already like that or do you provide the sticky black papersheet separately ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

sbd1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2008 at 10:25am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Borko, that blade looks sealed. Do you delivered blades already sealed? Mine was not sealed when I received it.
And it seems like black sticky paper on the backhand side. Do you deliver it already like that or do you provide the sticky black papersheet separately ?

Aeoliah:
Blade on the picture was made for someone in
Argentina. This blade is not sealed normally we do not seal the blades. Sealing of the blade changes its playing characteristics .After the blade is completed I will play it for a night making sure that it performs to my satisfaction before it is shipped to customer.
Back side of the blades is covered with black or red (two color rule).
From time to time special request is made to seal the blade we use only thin coat of hand rubbed shellac. Attached you will find the example of the sealed blade.
Regards

Borko&Son

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2008 at 2:34am
I wish I asked you to seal the blade when I bought mine. The one in the picture really looks great !
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic