Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new ITTF ban poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you approve or disapprove of the new ban by the ITTF?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [40.85%]
38 [53.52%]
4 [5.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 9:18am
i stopped speed glueing and stopped using my beloved h3 and moved to carbon and tension/tensor rubber.
LOL:-)!!! And i use long pimples!
As a lp user point of view we can go either to friction/grippy pimples or to anti so we to have to deal with the on coming bans as well...
I mean its pretty hard enough chopping as is:-(

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
Sponsored Links

le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 1:27pm

http://www.ittf.com/ITTF_Hand_Book/2_Handbook.pdf

After looking at that I could not find a rule banning tuners, did the ittf come up with an official statement on banning tuners like they did when they banned speed glues?
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 2:13pm
A lot of people still think that "ban" is only for those things that are applied to the topsheet and not the sponge.  (I think it actually applies to the entire rubber, though.)  Is there a clarification note or statement that defines "racket covering" so that we can all sleep at night?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by seasterl seasterl wrote:

A lot of people still think that "ban" is only for those things that are applied to the topsheet and not the sponge.  (I think it actually applies to the entire rubber, though.)  Is there a clarification note or statement that defines "racket covering" so that we can all sleep at night?

read the original "a hoax? complete ban on boosters?" thread - and it has (close to the end) a letter from an ITTF official, more or less stating that, for now, ITTF is not banning tuners/boosters... but they are looking into that. They are banning treatment of the surface - like Spinmax, burning or otherwise plasticizing pips or making them frictionless etc. and they will be checking the 4 mm rule...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

At this point, I'm sick of hearing about it.  Do we really need a bazillion threads on this topic?

here, here!!  this must be, like, the 10th thread or so on this!! 

99.999999999999999999999999% OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE IN A MATCH WHERE THE UMPIRE WILL CHECK YOUR RACKET FOR THIS OR ANY OF THE OTHER CRAP ANYWAY, SO WHO CARES WHETHER YOU'RE FOR OR AGAINST, CUZ, EITHER WAY, THE RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU!!
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

At this point, I'm sick of hearing about it.  Do we really need a bazillion threads on this topic?

99.999999999999999999999999% OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN AND WILL NEVER BE IN A MATCH WHERE THE UMPIRE WILL CHECK YOUR RACKET FOR THIS OR ANY OF THE OTHER CRAP ANYWAY, SO WHO CARES WHETHER YOU'RE FOR OR AGAINST, CUZ, EITHER WAY, THE RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU!!

Will it apply to you?

I assume most players here are regular tounament players, but I don't know.  I'm expecting the venues I play at to at least check the rackets of the winners, but don't know what to expect.  The deal with tuners is that they can easily expand the sponge to a point that the "max" rubbers exceed 4mm.  Still, others just want to make sure they play fair at their regular club meetings.  Like I always said when I played golf, if you don't follow the rules, you're playing a different game.  Besides, even if the OP started yet another thread about the ITTF's position on rubbers, that's their perogative as there are still new posts.  Sometimes when I see a thread I don't care about, I just skip it and don't read or post on it.
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 3:43pm
Even if I was a tuner, and needed to change equipment, from my beloved Bryce Speed, I like this rule. It makes life alot easier, and it is the same for every one. You don�t need to wait days every time you change or tune your rubber. Now we can just change to tensor or normal rubbers, without thinking about anyone, having more advantages than you.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 5:40pm

Will it apply to you?

I assume most players here are regular tounament players, but I don't know.  I'm expecting the venues I play at to at least check the rackets of the winners, but don't know what to expect.  The deal with tuners is that they can easily expand the sponge to a point that the "max" rubbers exceed 4mm.  Still, others just want to make sure they play fair at their regular club meetings.  Like I always said when I played golf, if you don't follow the rules, you're playing a different game.  Besides, even if the OP started yet another thread about the ITTF's position on rubbers, that's their perogative as there are still new posts.  Sometimes when I see a thread I don't care about, I just skip it and don't read or post on it.

"regular tournament players?"  what is that?? 

the people who will get checked in the future will be the exact same people who get checked now--top players (int'l or nat'l).

just playing at any ol' tourney is not gonna get your racket examined for chemicals.

as for the sponge expanding over the legal limit, i don't see the point of worrying about that, nobody is gonna get an advantage from that anyhow!

obrenovcanin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obrenovcanin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:11pm

As I support and understand the health aspect of the ban on young players,

I do not support the ban on the safe stuff and the way it is done.

Enforcing it ����????

seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:48pm

Will it apply to you?

"regular tournament players?"  what is that?? 

the people who will get checked in the future will be the exact same people who get checked now--top players (int'l or nat'l).

just playing at any ol' tourney is not gonna get your racket examined for chemicals.

as for the sponge expanding over the legal limit, i don't see the point of worrying about that, nobody is gonna get an advantage from that anyhow!

I understand your point, takaaki.  So you're saying that players shouldn't be worried about using an illegal racket, as long as they don't get caught, right?  The other half of my point is for players to understand what the rules (and rule changes) are.  Some players do prefer to play without cheating.  This includes "regular" tournament players.  (Most "pros" don't hang out on this forum, so what we discuss here is for us regular guys.) 
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 7:02pm
i think it will only affect the pros, so i dont care a little about it
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 8:00pm

hi bruno, will you attend the brazilean open? there will be a lot of stars to watch,you can ask the players what will they use to glue
EvolutionTTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 10:02am

There is always room open for interpretation. I dont think I will ever take the time 2 days before the turnament to start to apply some stupid ass glue that takes 2 days to stick. The change in the ball size was stupid as well. We needed to slow down the game so people can watch it. I dont like changing the sport just to accomodate the ITTF so they can make money. Their decision making is influenced by their funding and not to improve the quality of sport. Glue ban also sucks.  Some of us have been gluing for last 20 years and I never heard of people getting sick. If you need to regulate something require the paddles to be glued in well ventilated areas and done. 

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 10:58am
yeah, but, again (!!), why on earth should you care about the glue ban??

your racket will never be checked for chemicals, so why even bother thinking about it??  you can go on gluing just as you have been before...

as for the ball size change, i don't think that was stupid at all.  the rallies are longer now than before though one could make a valid argument that that is not only due to the bigger (and, therefore, slower-moving) ball, but to higher-quality players.

as for the ittf making money, that's something you absolutely, positively should support, that is, unless you're a basement player and don't care about the game.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

hi bruno, will you attend the brazilean open? there will be a lot of stars to watch,you can ask the players what will they use to glue

i second that...
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 11:45am

yeah, but, again (!!), why on earth should you care about the glue ban??

your racket will never be checked for chemicals, so why even bother thinking about it??  you can go on gluing just as you have been before...

That's not going to happen any longer because the glue will no longer be available.  Even for those players that do not enter tournaments and do not care if they "cheat" or use an illegal racket or wish to play according to some other rules, the speedglue will no longer be available for sale.  The ban will force these players to change their rackets and, to some degree, their game that has grown dependent on the glue. 

As for me, I've glued and tuned, but have recently found rubbers suitable for me that have the speedglue effects built-in.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 2:47pm
the glue will no longer be available?? 
that all depends on which glue you're talking about.

i use rubber cement.  that will always be available.
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 3:41pm

the glue will no longer be available?? 
that all depends on which glue you're talking about.

i use rubber cement.  that will always be available.

Speedglue.  Some of the manufactures are already no longer shipping to North America, and when their in-house supplies are depleted, they will not be receiving any more "speedglue."  VOC-free glues will be available.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 5:08pm
"VOC-free glues will be available."

so, there!!  no need then for this endless blabfest on the ittf ban!!
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 5:28pm

"VOC-free glues will be available."

so, there!!  no need then for this endless blabfest on the ittf ban!!

I'm not sure I understand what you just wrote.  Most of the conversation on this and serveral threads has been about the ITTF banning things that enhance the performance of the rubber, namely speedglue but possbily, as has been mentioned, tuners.  The speedglue will no longer be available, and VOC-free glues do not provide the same performance-enhancing effects.  (THIS is what folks have been complaining about!)  Recently, rubbers with this effect built-in and other tuners have appeared on the market which are safe, but the latest talk is about banning the special tuners, too.  So I think the guys here have plenty to discuss as to what they will do to get that same performance-enhancing effect in the absence of speedglue (and possibly tuners).  It doesn't sound like you use either of these, and if you did, it doesn't sound like you care about playing by the rules.  I'm sorry to understand that about another TT player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic