Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is up with DONIC???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is up with DONIC???
    Posted: 03/22/2008 at 5:45pm
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Donic is the brand for grampa's?

I think I'm a kind of person who really enjoys EJing as well as window shopping and exploring other brands etc. When I'm looking for something to buy I always vigorously scan through what all the major brands have to offer.

But I have almost NEVER been enticed by any of Donic's products. I'm about to go on a serious tangent... I'm not saying they are "bad" products in terms of performance etc., because I have never bought anything from them, I'm just going to say my impression of their products (mainly extracted from the catalogs of TTP):

Donic products are SO boring. Their shirts don't look cool, their bags don't look cool, they're racket cases don't look cool!! Oh wait, I take it back... looking through their paper catalog now there are a few interesting things in here. So then maybe it's that all their blades look the same. Or are indistinguishable because every blade you browse over is either an Appelgren, Waldner, or Persson. Or maybe the brand doesn't seem "cool" because all the pros the brand seems to market look 50 years old.

I have no idea where i'm going with this thread. I just wanted to get out that there is "something" that makes this brand unappealing (to me at least). I cannot quite place my finger on it.

Does anyone else get this "I'm not interested in Donic and would easily buy Stiga, Joola, Buttefly, Yasaka, Xiom.... over they're products anyday" kinda vibe??

Another weird thing is they have like a million player profiles and pics of people hitting etc in their catalogue, and there was like ONE non-white guy (Li Ping pg. 4) in the whole 81 page catalog!

Hmm.. I bet Donic is purposely marketing towards the Older European market. But I think they can make much more money by being more international and going for younger or more varied markets. I'd fire their whole marketing staff.

That's just my opinion. What do you guys think?
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
Sponsored Links

speed_king View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 5:49pm
So and I! I never buy any Donic products, and any of their products are easy to find in Serbia! I dont care for them!
hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 5:59pm
another problem of Donic is: sponsored player. Who is in top 10 playing Donic? Any? Am I being forgetful or what? 10 years ago: Walder, Persson, or a rising to top 10 Chuan Chi Yuan... I bet blades under those names were best selling ones back in the day.
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by hieupham hieupham wrote:

another problem of Donic is: sponsored player. Who is in top 10 playing Donic? Any? Am I being forgetful or what? 10 years ago: Walder, Persson, or a rising to top 10 Chuan Chi Yuan... I bet blades under those names were best selling ones back in the day.
Yeap, you are surtenly telling true
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 6:36pm
I think Waldner is still sponsored by Donic.

hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 6:48pm
right, and don't take it wrong as Waldner and Persson are still very huge tt figure around the world. But as of right now, they re just simply not the winning figure any longer. Ppl still talk about them as legend, but they ll think "well, the game s changing, ball is 40mm now, their blades might not bring me the edge over my opponents, who play Acoustic of Ma Long or Ma Lin Carbon of Ma Lin..." and because Waldner and Persson are not winnning now, how could Donic back up the fact that their equipments are top out?
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
Golden Skans View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Skans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 6:49pm
Ovtcharov is sponsored by Donic, but he's not in the top ten. I agree that their mistake is in sponsoring German/European players even though Euopeans are not doing so well right now.

Another question. You have never been interested in Donic rubbers? The Formula series are really popular as well as the Coppa...
benjy55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 6:54pm
Well ive got a donic bat case and i like the look of it, ive had it for 3 years and i had a donic cayman which i liked alot.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:11pm
Almost all table tennis brands are unsexy. Xiom is the sexiest, in terms of blades, packaging, and clothes.
Killerspin's design is decent as well, but they're in the North American market so that's expected.
Stiga is okay too. Other than that, the whole table tennis industry is fairly unsexy and behind other sports.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:33pm
BTY is totally SEXY. Xiom is really good to. But the best rubber packaging ever is the GuoQiu Future Fighter Rubber, it has Liu Guoliang and Boba Fett on the package.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:39pm
Totaly agree with liXiao for BTY and Xiom, but for GuoQiu Future Fighter Rubber I dont know Confused
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:41pm
presports has guoqiu, you gotta see it.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:42pm
Also I expected cool new things from Donic for 2008/2009, but nothing except new JO platinum rubber which is probably good and has good quality
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:42pm
Sorry for my bad english!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:43pm
Good night, I go to sleep because I have training early in the morning
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:22pm
the solution for that is to try donic products.. looks arent everything..
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:29pm
i agree donic make some good quality rubbers

especially some of their new glue effect rubbers

asr1990
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:31pm
Well looks are always somewhat important.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:51pm
Strange, but I always felt that way about Stiga - their blades and rubbers somehow just don't touch anything in my heart... they seem pretty bland and uninspiring... but that's just me, I am sure.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 9:09pm
I see it also JimT.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

BTY is totally SEXY. Xiom is really good to. But the best rubber packaging ever is the GuoQiu Future Fighter Rubber, it has Liu Guoliang and Boba Fett on the package.

Haha agreed! We need more Star Wars references in table tennis. A "Lightsaber" carbon blade, or "The Force" tensor rubber, maybe a "Chewbacca" long pips!

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 11:04pm
And some ACTION WORDS!

like "Ultra Super Fast Bombastic Glue Effect Rocket Tensor 2000 rubber!"
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

Haha agreed! We need more Star Wars references in table tennis. A "Lightsaber" carbon blade, or "The Force" tensor rubber, maybe a "Chewbacca" long pips!

Han Solo Frictionless pips, very deceptive.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 12:23am
DONIC products not cool????

I think the Dotec handle is the best invention since hot water!!!  and that blade http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=d-wald-dotec-hin  I so want to buy it

GO DONIC!!!
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 12:39am
I hate those handles.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 3:18am
not enough choice of tacky rubbers,only one that springs to mind is slice 40,but too thin for me at 1.5 especially with thin topsheet ,this donic blade i am using is good though,both for chop and loop
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:06am

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:14am
COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT LOL
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:20am
I think that donic has good blades comparatively to their prices (vs european Manufacturers)
My Favorite blade for very long time was Donic Person Power Speed.

I also feel that they don't invest enough money(or just not in the proper way) to their marketing programs.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:30am
their handle designs r nice...but incredibly repetitive. with the same damn strip in the middle of the handle lol.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic