Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Slowing a blade down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slowing a blade down
    Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:43pm
Quick question for all the scientists out there.

We all know that varnish changes the property of a blade but is there any chemical out there that would slow the blade down.

For example im really looking to slow the backhand side of a blade down.

I know the obvious answer is try differant rubbers but im only looking for to slow the blade properties down.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

speed_king View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed_king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:45pm
Maybe sandpaper?
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 7:52pm
with the speed glue ban, could we develop chemicals to treat the outer ply of the blade, giving the actual wood a speed glue effect?
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:23pm
Sealing the blade with many layers would slow the blade down
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:41pm
Why not just get a thinner sponge
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
asr1990 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Sealing the blade with many layers would slow the blade down

no it wouldn't
mizutani jun
tenergy
bryce speed fx
Will be trying Zeta soon
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 9:07pm
Sealing makes the surface harder and speeds it up.
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 9:31pm
use a slow rubber, that's probably the most efficient solution
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 10:10pm
Don't do anything to the blade unless you don't care about it and are ready to throw it away. I think especially sandpaper is a bad idea since it is irreversible.
Your "obvious" answer is the correct answer.
joris View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2008 at 10:18pm
Use water based glue that should slowed a blade down.
joris
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

with the speed glue ban, could we develop chemicals to treat the outer ply of the blade, giving the actual wood a speed glue effect?
let's be very careful: that pattern leads to tennagers sniffing chemicals and playing with steroids. outter plies, inner plies, core, wrist, shoulder etc...
I heard about that modified wrb handle that can pump fluids toward the center of the sweet spot through minuscule pipes drilled from the handle. I did not see it yet but I already wish ENEZ's job be done before and AFTER the match.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 3:14am
i think it might be interesting to try a thin coat of liquid rubber on the blade,but it is an expensive experiment especially if it dosn`t work
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 3:28am
Sand away the top ply and replace it with a slow softer wood.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 4:44am
Cutting the head down of the blade, just slightly would change the feels and speed... also sanding the top ply of the side you want to slow down would also change the properties of the blade...

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 5:44am
Originally posted by nb60907 nb60907 wrote:

Quick question for all the scientists out there.We all know that varnish changes the property of a blade but is there any chemical out there that would slow the blade down.For example im really looking to slow the backhand side of a blade down.I know the obvious answer is try differant rubbers but im only looking for to slow the blade properties down.Any ideas?

Hi nb60907
I bought A donic waldner hinoki blade with sriver l max and yasaka mark v max a month ago, this combo so so so fast!! but powerful! I couldn't handle it in the begining, blocking, smash or loop always out of the table! But now, I'm loving it! It just a matter of adjust myself getting use (master) to the bat. I win more games than ever, more power shots than ever!
So, give yourself sometime to now your blade and master it. Don't worry about missing some points in the beginging. Once you mastered it, there's no fast blade for you any more.
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 7:12am
Thank you for the suggestions all. Think I might try and sand the backhand layer down a bit.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 7:26am
yes you should really try a slower rubber.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 9:43am
let us know how it goes?

Ginko

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 10:35am

What blade are you doing this to?  It may be easier to sell it and look into combination blades........... I used a combo blade with inverted on both sides at one point. 

If you have a blade that happens to have a thicker, soft outer ply and a harder 2nd ply or core, sanding the soft outer ply down will actually speed the blade up on that side and make the faster ply more prominent.

pongcrazy
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 11:00am
I have a huge selection of blades, I started playing at the age of 13 and made national squad playing a normal shakehand game and then give up at 16 from the pressure of trying to get a good education at the same time.

I started again at the age of 24 playing this way but recently changed to a combination bat with long pips on the backhand. My standard is still not to bad as I play county / State level.

I have 3 defensive blades so far, Koji pro, chen weixing and Hallmark Aura. The hallmark aura has the slowest backhand side but I would like it slower as I can still not chop as hard as i want to with out the ball flying 10 feet past the table :D

Hence why I am trying to slow it right down. The rubbers I have are TSP p1-r 1.3 and Joola octupus 0.5. I know I will be fine with training and I train alot but I really know what I want and its to get a even slower backhand setup.

Thanks
grubbafan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grubbafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 12:07pm
Of course the obvious answer would be using a slower rubber. I'm not sure varnish/sanding the blade would slow down the blade. You might risk ruining the blade. If you would like a slower backand without changing the rubber, I think it is better for you (if you have some extra cash) to purchase one of those combo blades (OFF/DEF, ALL+/ALL-, etc..) from Hallmark or DrNeubauer.
Blade : Butterfly Andrzej Grubba FL
FH : Butterfly Sriver
BH : Butterfly Sriver
liondefence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:00pm
I don't know if this is illegal or just plain stupid, but how about adding tennis lead tape to the outer rim of the blade and covering it with edge tape?
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
FH: Globe 999 N-in
BH: TSP CURL P1-R
Overgrip: Wilson(White)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 6:01pm
You might just want to wait around and see what's allowed after the ban... Some of the new one's coming out from TT-master and Dr. Noob are rated very slow

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by liondefence liondefence wrote:

I don't know if this is illegal or just plain stupid, but how about adding tennis lead tape to the outer rim of the blade and covering it with edge tape?

that's legal
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
seasterl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasterl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2008 at 10:21pm

For the OP, use either thinner sponge or get the version of rubber in the same series but with softer sponge.  If necessary, use the softer version and thinner.  This way you retain the same properties of the topsheet.

swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2008 at 2:31am
If you sanding the side you want to slow down, you change also the properties of the other side...! This is a really difficult work for someone without any experience! My suggestions is to try a hybrid blade with to different outer plys.

Greetings Roger
VH:Samba Joola
BH:Armstrong Rosin
Blade: TRinnova Sonar Blade
---------------------
www.trinnova-blades.com / Handmade Blades
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2008 at 4:39am
I wouldn't sand it. The Hallmark Aurora is already a comination blade-for those of you who don't know. In this case I agree with using slower rubber on the bh (OX may be?). May be you should also look into changing or improving your techniques as well.
nb60907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nb60907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2008 at 8:53am
To late, sanded it down last night.

Going to try it against my robot in a bit.

No loss if its crap ill just by another :D

no pain no gain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic