Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Cash prizes for your tt equipment reviews!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cash prizes for your tt equipment reviews!
    Posted: 03/26/2008 at 12:57am
TableTennisRatings.com is an innovative and original website featuring ratings and reviews of table tennis equipment by the players themselves.  We are a very young website, and need a lot more reviews in order to become a truly useful resource for you.  It's a non-commercial site, not affiliated with any sellers, and is ad-free (fortunately).

We would like the quality reviews to keep on coming, so to this aim, we are offering two cash prizes in April to registered users who have contributed a qualifying review up until the contest closing time of May 1, 3am Eastern Standard Time. The first prize is $50 cash, the second is $25 cash. The winners will be announced here on May 1. 

The more reviews you contribute, the higher chance you'll have of winning a prize. 

Please see the details on the home page, and hurry up and get as many reviews as possible in before the closing date!

Please upload an avatar to your profile too, so we can see it next to all of your reviews.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
Sponsored Links

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 11:23am
Bump.
Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 3:00pm
Two review sites now...I'm sure you've seen http://www.tabletennisdb.com/

As I commented in the other thread, I wish you guys would put fields to collect objective measurements like actual weight.

What does "rubber hardness 4 stars" mean?
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 3:06pm
Hi Budric,

Actually my site was launched in January - maybe you missed the other thread where it was announced.

4 stars means it's pretty hard (the scale is 0.5 - 5) - if you go into the review form you can see "help" for most of the items.  I need to put those help icons on the main page too, it's on my to do list.
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 12:19am
how exciting to have 2 new equipment review sites in just about 2 months of each other! The only thing that perplexes me is what bonuses/prizes can do to motivate reviewsDisapprove
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 12:50am
there is a pretty extensive equipment review database at tabletennis.gr, so why not just use that? theres no need to re-invent the wheel
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by jctlee jctlee wrote:

how exciting to have 2 new equipment review sites in just about 2 months of each other! The only thing that perplexes me is what bonuses/prizes can do to motivate reviewsDisapprove

Incentives do help, especially when people believe that they are legitimate.

I think that initially there is some skepticism.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by le xex le xex wrote:

there is a pretty extensive equipment review database at tabletennis.gr, so why not just use that? theres no need to re-invent the wheel

There are a lot of reviews there, but I would argue that the format of my website elicits higher quality reviews as it gets people to think about each criterion and hopefully write about a few of them.  Also, people "own" their reviews and can edit them and see how well they are doing in terms of feedback, so in a sense they will want to have their reviews regarded well.

A structured review and rating website like this one lets people search on the criteria they deem important to them, and the search functionality is actually quite extensive - it also searches the text of all the reviews.

So I don't see this as "re-inventing the wheel" - it's an evolution of how we capture and use information.

EDIT: One more thing - this site has a forum topic per product that is automatically created whenever somebody starts to discuss it.  This means it will become very easy to find all the information pertinent to that piece of equipment - much easier than searching through a large forum finding information and piecing it together yourself.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:28am
It can be considered an "enhancement of the wheel".
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:40am
Congrats on your site, Arthur - you did a very good job there.  I'm impressed with your UI and programming skills.  Definitely a cool-looking site.
zhuangcorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhuangcorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:48am
As of right now, Denis's site is still the best simply because of the number of products reviewed, and number of total reviews. But the format is too basic, and not all that useful.

Arthur's site by far has the best format, but to me the ratings come very short in describing the play of the equiptment. I don't like the idea of having to "infer" how a rubber would play on particular shots from looking at it's speed, spin, control, tackiness, etc. And I don't think it is that accurate. Why not just rate the actual shot?

Dansari's website allows lots of individual ratings so the user can decide which qualities are important to him. There are still a lot of issues that are not implemented as well as Arthur's site.
Dawei Bio X50
Globe 999
Nittaku Midship
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:51am
Dansari and PPgear, don't you want to work together, to one great canadian made review website?
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:59am
Originally posted by zhuangcorp zhuangcorp wrote:

As of right now, Denis's site is still the best simply because of the number of products reviewed, and number of total reviews. But the format is too basic, and not all that useful.

Arthur's site by far has the best format, but to me the ratings come very short in describing the play of the equiptment. I don't like the idea of having to "infer" how a rubber would play on particular shots from looking at it's speed, spin, control, tackiness, etc. And I don't think it is that accurate. Why not just rate the actual shot?

Dansari's website allows lots of individual ratings so the user can decide which qualities are important to him. There are still a lot of issues that are not implemented as well as Arthur's site.

I'm not getting defensive here, but I can think of a few things where Arthur's site is better, and several things where mine is better.  Each has its pros and cons.  In terms of functionality, mine is far ahead.  In terms of look (and a couple of other things), Arthur's is ahead.

Anyway, I don't want to go into details now because then it might seem that I'm trashing his site - I do think that overall it's very well done, and I'm sure it'll get even better as time goes on.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 2:02am
Originally posted by gtlug gtlug wrote:

Dansari and PPgear, don't you want to work together, to one great canadian made review website?

But that ain't the way the web works Wink  There's always room for even more review sites (to attempt to do things even better), but it would get pointless to have too many.  Competition is healthy - better than a monopoly.  We will push each other to keep improving our sites.
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 4:43am
I love review sites, they're the bread and butter of good informed EJing. But the frustrating thing is building up the database. I can't imagine when either Dansari OR PPgear's sites will actually be useful.

The formats and potential of both sites is excellent, but they need some serious critical mass. Each product needs a LOT of reviews for it to start to become useful. I find that TT equipment is so subjective that your really need a lot of reviews to get a really meaningful opinion. If you look at tabletennis.gr you can see that most people measure on extremes. Something either really sucks or is the greatest thing on earth. :S
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 4:46am
oh yeah, Dansari... I think offering the prizes is a good start. But personally I don't really buy in to it. I mean, a lot of people don't like those contests because nobody really believes their legit, and even if they are, most people don't think their chances to win are really any good. I think you'd do better to just give everyone who does a review 1 or 2 bucks guaranteed. I dunno that's just my opinion i could be way off the boat.
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by anixon anixon wrote:

The formats and potential of both sites is excellent, but they need some serious critical mass.

Actually, there's a feature to look at each user's specific ratings and reviews, so you no longer need critical mass. Cole Ely will always rate consistently across his own subjective ratings so you can compare two products that he rated.

This feature is available from that user's Profile.

Cole Ely's Rubber Ratings and Reviews
Haggisv's Bltaade Ratings and Reviews
Arthur Lui
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 12:24pm
Yeah, I've got the same kind of thing in a "Reviews" tab in the user's profile page, e.g. kam88's Rubber Ratings and Reviews (lol ppgear - you know what I'm talking about with those links Wink)

I still think several hundred reviews are necessary for better numbers, regardless of having each user's reviews together in one page - though if one person has done enough reviews and you can relate to any of the products that they reviewed then that's a definite help.

I've actually built a respect system based on the helpfulness of each person's reviews - when a user contributes a review that gets very good feedback, then that user garners more respect and the ratings in their next review will have more weight than let's say a newbie, or unhelpful, reviewer.  But I have that system turned off for now.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by dansari dansari wrote:

(lol ppgear - you know what I'm talking about with those links Wink)

Heh Wink
Arthur Lui
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 1:58pm
Spreading a little SEO link love.
peeweeman30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peeweeman30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 5:19pm
I remember when you said that you weren't going to give out crash prizes in order to get this site more critical mass. But you did and that is the right step even if you aren't going to get profit out of this site. Smile

You really shouldn't base it on number of reviews. Because people can really just post in some non helpful reviews not based on experience to win your cash prize or just plain ol' post in one liners to get the prize because according to your competition you set, most number of reviews win.

Else than that I really like this site and I'm looking forward to it. It has lots of potential!

P.S. I really should start my review on the Reactor rubbers on your site but the thing is I'm not quite sure on how to review TT equipment.
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic FL Master
FH: Reactor Novar 2.2mm
BH: Reactor Corbor PRO 2.2mm
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 6:22pm
Ah, but if you read the rules on the home page it says that the reviews have to be at least 80 words.  So the cash prize will hopefully keep high quality reviews coming in.  It's pretty hard to come up with 80 words of hogwash - and manufacturers' descriptions are not allowed.  If the review is cut & paste garbage, say, then it just won't be published.  It's not "most number of reviews" wins - it's a random draw!

I just looked over my home page and I noticed that I omitted this "small" detail - sorry folks!  It's a random draw - and the start of the contest was the time that this thread began.  Thanks for alerting me to that.

More reviews will give you a bigger chance to win a prize, because the draw is going to be out of the reviews that were contributed.

Thanks for the comments.  I'm planning to add another nice new feature over the next few days, time permitting.  Oh, last night I fixed a (what I considered to be nasty) bug on the site where registered users using certain browsers couldn't log into http://www.tabletennisratings.com, but could log into http://tabletennisratings.com.  That was lingering ever since the beginning, but now I'm really glad it's fixed.

I'm not too sure how to review TT equipment either, lol.  It just takes practise - one good thing about this site is that you can edit your review if you're not happy with the feedback it's getting.

Daniel (feeling anonymous as "dansari")
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2008 at 6:26pm
By the way, if anybody submits a review anonymously by mistake then wishes to register on the site at any point and have the review credited to them, this is possible if you give me the IP address of the computer you put the review in from, then I can match that with the IP address of the review.  This doesn't apply to dial-up connections, because the IP address is probably different each time you connect.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 5:43pm

At this point, if you contribute 5 qualifying reviews, you stand a 75% chance of winning either 1st or 2nd prize!  Come on, get them going.

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 8:09pm
Could the person who submitted reviews for Kong Linghui Special and Bryce Speed please PM me?  They were done anonymously - I need to confirm who you are.  Thanks.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2008 at 10:30pm
Well, I haven't been promoting this contest for a while, which explains why I haven't been getting reviews on my site lately.

Only 2 more days left in this contest!  Get your reviews in - there is some real hard cash to be won, and you have a very big chance of winning one of the prizes.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2008 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by dansari dansari wrote:

I've actually built a respect system based on the helpfulness of each person's reviews - when a user contributes a review that gets very good feedback, then that user garners more respect and the ratings in their next review will have more weight than let's say a newbie, or unhelpful, reviewer.  But I have that system turned off for now.

I think thats a very smart system, and should be turned back on.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2008 at 12:11am
Thanks, you're probably right that it should be turned on.  I'm kinda busy adding features - price comparisons may be coming very soon (the software is all done), and I've got an "equipment by brand" page that is also done, that I just need to upgrade the site for.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 12:09am
Only one more day to go!!
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 5:45pm
Only 9 more hours to go!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic