Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Opticon and Opticon RS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Opticon and Opticon RS
    Posted: 04/08/2008 at 1:43am
Has anyone played with either of these blades?  There doesn't seem to be much said about them anywhere (although I have read the reviews at DTTW).  I've never played with a balsa blade before, but many say you either love them or hate them.  One thing that intrigues me about the Opticons is the claim that they have almost no vibration.  I tend to dislike blades with alot of vibration, so I'm wondering how these play, and whether I might really like them.  The RS is supposed to be stiffer and faster, which I might like better if it still has touch in the short game.

Any input is appreciated.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 2:39am
Well, I've bought 2 Opticon RS, because it's fragile. Be careful not to press the center balsa core near the handle, because it will dent become a hole by just pressing it by finger nail. 
The blade is very light, maybe around 65 gr or less.
My set up on it is only 155 gr.
Opticon RS has vibration but not much, more vibration than carbon blades though, it's fast, faster than Timoball spirit. Has good control too. I wonder why nobody give any review at DTTW. The quality is not that good, the price is the same as korbel here, korbel has better quality and durability. Make sure not hit the table other wise it will ruin the blade easily.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 10:21am
Thanks for the input.  I'm not sure I want to buy a blade that is that fragile.  I'll have to think about that one.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 1:20pm
Well, the balsa center in a lot of blades is very soft, but as long as you do not hit it hard it will be fine. Yasaka balsa, joola cat, donic persson off dotec, hunter x-carbon and best of 5 carbon are some examples of such blades I have used and/or encountered and are all fine after months of use. The rigidity and light weight of these blades maybe something worth a really small risk, if you like of course these characteristics in a blade.
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 1:40pm
really nice blades  I liked them a lot. fast with very good control.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 8:11pm
Ack! Now I don't know what to do...Confused

Still thinking!
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 11:26pm
Just try one, make sure you seal the handle, so that the balsa center ply become harder. It has good control and fast speed.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic