FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

undoing the WRB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: undoing the WRB
    Posted: 04/08/2008 at 3:13am
Hey guys, we've all been through it, you find a great blade only to find it's too heavy heavy due to the hollowed out handle.

Was wondering, have anyone tried to un-WRB a blade? What did you fill it with...I read a while back that someone used hot glue...any other suggestions?
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Sponsored Links

Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 5:12am
Hey Gekogark

try ball bearings, turn it into a Andro kinetic

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 5:27am
DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 5:30am
I turned my stiga offensive wrb into a sweet spot transformer, by putting a long bolt ~ 10cm long from the base of the blade and inserted 3 nuts in the hollow blade section. the nuts can be adjust up or down. It works Perfect for me.
(warning: drilling the hole from the base blade need to start with small drill bit first, otherwise, the blade will crack!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 5:33am
lead is a good idea also. but making sure the lead stay fix in place.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 5:37am
I've used Evostick Wood adhesive to fill in the hollow handle of a mark I Wavestone.

The weight went up from 88 to 96 grams, however the blade is no longer head heavy and the benefits are :

* A well balanced blade, that feels comfortable in the hand.
* You are less aware of its weight.
* It plays better in the short game and has more feeling.
* It feels like you're playing with a much better blade.
* My recovery time between shots is actually better.

In my experience head heavy blades/bats have a slightly slower recovery time, than a balanced blade/ bat.

A WRB handle has a clear lens and it is possible to prise that out, which gives you the way in to fill the handle.

The other route is to prise off one side of the handle, which is a bit harder than prising out  the lens. Then fill in the handle/prised off handle piece and reattach the handle piece.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:05am
Get lead tape and wrap it around the end of your handle. The adhesive backing will keep it in place. It also has the benefit of allowing you to undo the weighting if you dont like it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:07am
Hmm, so many great ideas, but I'm in favour of the lead tap as a temporary solution...since i can choose the CG this way.

How do you get lead tape btw? Just any hardware store?
(\__/)

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

I've used Evostick Wood adhesive to fill in the hollow handle of a mark I Wavestone.

Is that similar to just wood putty? (I'm actually trying to fill in a wavestone also)
(\__/)

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:16am
I used to use silicon or wood glue, but it looks uglier than lead tape and is permanent.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:29am
I tried to use lead tape before, but I was worry longterm lead-contact with skin and sweat, will it poison or unhealthy to skin? sorry no offence in anyway.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 6:56am
hmm, interesting point.

btw, for those who managed to fill in the hole...how did you get the plastic logo off? I think they glued it or something, I've nearly killed the handle and it's still stuck
(\__/)

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 7:45am
The plastic logo is balanced on 2 small ridges at either end of the logo.

Use a modelling knife to cut through one end and that should help you.

I took the other approach taking of one side of the handle, which took longer.

Another option is drillling a little hole in the lens and filling the handle that way.

Evo wood adhesive is a glue that you use to glue two pieces of wood together and it provides a solid bond. You must have an equivalent in Australia, available from a DIY shop or a timber merchant.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 7:49am
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

hmm, interesting point.

btw, for those who managed to fill in the hole...how did you get the plastic logo off? I think they glued it or something, I've nearly killed the handle and it's still stuck

Perhaps you can use a hair blow dryer to heat up and loosen up the glue on the logo, it should help to get it off easier.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 9:51am

wood filler worked ok for me

Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 10:07am

hmm, interesting point.

I actually held the blade by the rubbers and hit the handle on a wooden surface covered with cloth a couple of times and the plastic lenses came out, both of them (each when I hit on the corresponding side). No damage of course. My blade is an OC WRB and there are no hinges, just some very small remains of glue, almost nothing. It is though around 10 years old... :-)

BTW, the idea to place a bolt and nuts that can move up and down is pretty clever! Smile
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 10:18am
Lead tape could be put on the very end of the handle (where the company badge normally is) to avoid exposure to your skin.  You can probably find lead tape with an adhesive back anywhere they sell golf equipment, since many people use it to change the swing weight of their golf clubs.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 10:24am
how about fome spray the one one use by carpenters.woude make it a super core blade
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Lead tape could be put on the very end of the handle (where the company badge normally is) to avoid exposure to your skin.  You can probably find lead tape with an adhesive back anywhere they sell golf equipment, since many people use it to change the swing weight of their golf clubs.

You can also find them in the tennis section of sport equipment stores such as Academy, Sport Authority....  There are two types, self-adhesive to stick on the tennis racket frame and none-adhesive to wrap in the handle.  But lead is a health risk.  Who knows, you may touch the lead, then pick up a piece of candy and give up to your kid or something.  If it was me, I would just buy another blade.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 5:45am
Ok thanks a lot guys! After several cuts and a burn, I've managed to fill my wavestone with hot glue.

It went from 85grams to 90grams, CG shifted back towards the handle by 6mm. I am very pleased with the result!
(\__/)

Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:03am
sounds like a succesfull operation!!!

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 6:33am
yes, 1/1 is still a 100% success rate :P ahahhaha
(\__/)

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 7:00am
Gekogark1212

Not only is it better balanced, you'll find it plays better too.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 9:44am

Ok thanks a lot guys! After several cuts and a burn, I've managed to fill my wavestone with hot glue.

It went from 85grams to 90grams, CG shifted back towards the handle by 6mm. I am very pleased with the result!

What did you finally do to get the plastic logo off?

Also, let us know how different it plays.  I'm especially interested in whether it vibrates less.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Gergely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gergely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 10:13am

Just Ctrl+Z... Smile

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2008 at 10:26am
LOL
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2008 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

What did you finally do to get the plastic logo off?

Also, let us know how different it plays.  I'm especially interested in whether it vibrates less.

WITH PAIN!!! not seriously, I grabbed a screwdriver and went to town on it...hence the cuts and the burn from the hot glue.

I find it has the exact same vibrations before it gets to the un-WRB'ed part....ie, with a standard shakehand grip, you'll still feel the vibrations in your fingers (contact point), but the vibrations in you palm is GREATLY REDUCED! this is just excellent. ^_^
(\__/)

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2008 at 9:32pm

WITH PAIN!!! not seriously, I grabbed a screwdriver and went to town on it...hence the cuts and the burn from the hot glue.

I find it has the exact same vibrations before it gets to the un-WRB'ed part....ie, with a standard shakehand grip, you'll still feel the vibrations in your fingers (contact point), but the vibrations in you palm is GREATLY REDUCED! this is just excellent. ^_^

You just pried the logo off with a screwdriver???  Didn't it break, or get scratched or something?

I like the idea of the vibrations being greatly reduced in the palm.  I have an 81g K-6 that I may try this with.  How much glue did you have to use?  The K-6 seems to have a pretty big hollow spot, and I don't want to increase the weight by more than 5 grams.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2008 at 4:10am
if you're afraid of adding too much weight, I'd recommend you skip the experiment, since if you don't add enough weight, the CG won't be shifted back far enough. I used a whole new hot glue stick.
(\__/)

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2008 at 4:18am
gekogark1212, could you specify what hot glue stick you used? Is it the one that is milky white kind of transparent and used with the glue gun?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic