FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Very Short REVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Short REVIEW
    Posted: 04/18/2008 at 2:27am
Just played with Dicon that I recently got.  If I have to summarize it in fewest words possible, I will just say "Dicon", which stands for DIrect CONtrol.  It is so easy to land the ball on the table.  Control is probably its greatest aspect.  Great feel too.  OK, it is a stiff blade, considerably stiffer than Korbel, but has a bit of soft feeling when being played, especially during short game.  During driving/smashing, it feels stiff.  Kinda remind me of Samsonov Alpha, which is a stiff blade yet has soft feel to it, with the exception that Alpha is a bit slower.  Because of the firm feeling, blocking/driving/hitting with Dicon is a joy.

Now the speed, I would say it's Off- at its best, similar to Korbel, if not a tad slower.  Some say it's All+, which I agree because it depends a lot on the rubbers on it.  Dwell time on Dicon is less compared to that of Korbel.  So Korbel is better for looping (good for hitting also) but Dicon is better for driving.

If I compare with my other blades in similar class, let's just pick the popular ones:  Extra 3D, Samsonov Alpha, Korbel, OC CR, then I can probably summarize the best for each aspects as follows:

Looping:  Extra 3D, no contest. Control is excellent also.
Driving/Hitting:  Dicon
Short Game:  Offensive Classic
Control:  Samsonov Alpha (although Dicon is good also but I think Alpha is just a tiny bit better in this aspect, probably because it's slower)
The most allround (good for anything but not best):  Korbel

Well, I am probably biased.  Please drop comments if you agree or disagree.
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 6:59am

Dicon is a very good blade. It has a very special feel.

petey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 7:51am
Does the dicon have a hollow handle ? What is the weight ?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 8:44am
a few parts of the dicon is hollow but not like the senso or wrb hollow styles.. the dicon is still an offensive classic blade with a diff. handle
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 9:39am
Most sellers list the weight as 82g, although some say 85g.  I thought I read somewhere that Donic slightly changed the shape of the head recently.  That may account for the differing numbers, with the new one being the 85g.   Donic's site now says 85g.

Doraemon, do you know how much yours weighs?  Also, what kind of handle does it have and what do you think of the comfort?

F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 12:51pm
Brainstorm, the weight balance at the store that I bought the Dicon was broken, so I'm not sure what the weight is. My guess it's less than 85 gr & certainly not more than 89 gr because it's significantly lighter than my 89 gr Korbel.

The handle is FL, about the shape of Stiga Master but it's more concave. If you have very big hand, it might be uncomfortable. But it is comfortable if you have average hand size. I like Stiga Legend but although dicon FL is smaller, I still find it comfy.

I hope it helps.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 1:15pm
Good deal! It's nice to hear that you get a very good blade, and even so at a good price! I'm looking forward to the updated review as you play more with the blade.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 9:32pm
When I removed rubbers it splint�red lightly, so I sealed with PU. Since I'm not convinced, I applied the 2nd layer, I guess it's a mistake because I felt it becomes slightly harder than the unvarnished one before. Could be just psychological though, Lol.

This is the 1st Donic that I varnished. My other Donic don't need sealing at all.

I will update if I find something interesting.
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Brainstorm, the weight balance at the store that I bought the Dicon was broken, so I'm not sure what the weight is. My guess it's less than 85 gr & certainly not more than 89 gr because it's significantly lighter than my 89 gr Korbel.

The handle is FL, about the shape of Stiga Master but it's more concave. If you have very big hand, it might be uncomfortable. But it is comfortable if you have average hand size. I like Stiga Legend but although dicon FL is smaller, I still find it comfy.

I hope it helps.

Yes, that does help.  I have hit for a few minutes with a Dicon that one of the guys has where I play and thought it was a pretty nice blade.  It was a straight handle version and he had HPA 2.0 on it at the time.  I've always thought about buying one.

I have small hands, so the flared would probably work fine for me.  Thanks for the info. Smile
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic